Print Page | Close Window

Anyone else PO'ed at the flounder season?

Printed From: North Carolina Waterman
Category: North Carolina Waterman Message Boards
Forum Name: Fisheries Issues/Fisheries Politics/Fisheries Government.
Forum Discription: Post ONLY Marine Fisheries Issues Here
URL: http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80725
Printed Date: 12 August 2020 at 4:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anyone else PO'ed at the flounder season?
Posted By: themoose
Subject: Anyone else PO'ed at the flounder season?
Date Posted: 26 February 2020 at 10:25am
6 weeks?  

If you are only going to give us 6 weeks, let's just do a full ban on harvest.  For recs and commercials.  No Flounder in 2020 for anyone.  

I am truly getting sick of being treated as a second class citizen by the NCDMF.  They allow comms to do pretty close to anything they want, and screw over the recs.  

Replies:
Posted By: marker39
Date Posted: 26 February 2020 at 7:39pm
Recs have to save em so the trawls will have some to kill.

BW #2

Posted By: TomM
Date Posted: 26 February 2020 at 9:12pm
If it’s not enough for a keeper season close it

Posted By: chriselk
Date Posted: 26 February 2020 at 9:47pm
I am fine with those regulations for SOUTHERN FLOUNDER. These fish are in trouble and the State of NC has for twenty years been unable to stop overfishing.
I oppose those Southern flounder regulations being applied to Summer flounder (aka fluke) and Gulf flounder, neither of which is overfished.  The key to this concept, species-specific management, rests on the ability of anglers to determine which species of flounder they have caught.  

I submitted the following public comment at the recent MFC meeting to this effect:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tOSLesmJnX2IcGU3GoSrlvr2GB0XS9xb/view?usp=sharing

During the meeting, Director Murphey indicated that the Division was doing a study to determine if anglers could be taught the difference.  Now I have good and not so good feelings (mostly good I might add) about Director Murphey, who is under the control of puppet strings from  Raleigh (like all other Directors), but to me this was an insult to me and also to other anglers.  

Why an insult you might ask?  I assume that Marine Patrol officers have been trained to speciate flounder, since they are the ones who would be writing tickets.  I don't think that MP is any smarter than Joe the fisherman.  Well on second thought maybe most of Joe the fishermen.  

Indeed, freshly caught flounder are a lot easier to speciate by anglers than those sitting on ice for hours when they are later examined by MP.

I want to be perfectly clear here, I am not dishing MP in any shape, form or fashion, but if they can be trained to ID flounder why cant recreational fishermen also be trained (see link for details).  

I sometimes have trouble pasting links on this site, so I hope it goes through seamlessly.  If not I am sure Wizard Rick will fix it.

While this could be done immediately through proclamation, it was my interpretation from the meeting it could be a couple of years before it was implemented assuming recreational fishermen are "trainable".  

-------------
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.

Posted By: Glacierbaze
Date Posted: 26 February 2020 at 11:01pm
Chris, why would you "assume that Marine Patrol officers have been trained to speciate flounder"?  As long as they manage them as one species, nobody has to be taught the difference.

-------------
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."

Posted By: bakesta
Date Posted: 27 February 2020 at 10:15am
This miniature rec season is occurring for the sole purpose of allowing commercial fishermen to continue to slaughter the flounder.

There needs to be a complete moratorium for EVERYBODY.   6 weeks for recs is a joke.   And then the pound and gill nets will open and the stocks will be hammered.

Close it for everyone for 3 years and then we'll talk about how it should be reallocated when it opens again.

Angry

-------------
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain

Posted By: hghcpa
Date Posted: 27 February 2020 at 2:38pm
What bakesta said

Posted By: themoose
Date Posted: 27 February 2020 at 3:52pm
Sounds good for me.

Posted By: cnaff
Date Posted: 28 February 2020 at 9:48am
NC Fisheries. Managed by one ocellated spot on the governor's ventral side.(edit:added an apostrophe)

-------------
V/H Dog

Posted By: Get Bowed Up
Date Posted: 01 March 2020 at 11:07am
Mathematically it insures this will be a much lower value resource. I've always fought the idea of a closure, but when you're trying to achieve reductions of more than 50% then almost 75% in a management arena that has zero quota monitoring, it ain't happening.

I do not believe we are doing anyone justice forcing them to take pennies on the dollar for 10 years when 2 years at no take(other than DM) could rebuild year classes and open up the fishery for more than a 6 week window.

Fingers crossed, we could get out of winter without a cold stun so hopefully we will have another record trout year that could help offset a closure's, I mean 6 week season impact.

Is interesting from here to TX are having SF issues.

Posted By: lcg8978
Date Posted: 02 March 2020 at 9:00pm
I'm at the point where I'd honestly be fine with a 5+ year moritorium on the harvest of ALL species of fish in state waters, as long as it applied to both recreational and commercial. The short term pain would be worth it in the long run.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk