FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NC-CFRG Files Notice of Intent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NC-CFRG Files Notice of Intent
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:25am

NOTICE OF CLAIM(s)

The below Notice of Claim has been served to the following defendants:

• NC Department of Environmental Quality, Bill Lane, General Counsel

• NC Division of Marine Fisheries, Stephen W. Murphey, Director

• Trawler Christine Ann, Inc., G. Christopher Fulcher, President / Steven L. Weeks, Registered Agent

• Capt. Gaston, LLC, Jonathan Brent Fulcher, Managing Member and Registered Agent

Trawler Capt. Alfred, Inc, Carol G. Potter, President and Registered Agent

The Trawler Blackbeard, Lee Bland Williams, Owner and Registered Agent

Lady Samaira, Inc., Sammie E. Williams, President and Registered Agent

Ester Joy, Inc., Glenn B. Cooke, President

Edited by Rick - 18 May 2020 at 12:19pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:29am
Hope it is effective

j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:09pm
I wish them luck.

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:55pm
What is the recommended ante
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:09am
Now we're talking.  Where do I send my money?
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Redfisher Redfisher wrote:

Now we're talking.  Where do I send my money?

At this link http://www.nccfrg.org/  bottom of page-

Look for this-

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:00am

Hopefully DMF and DEQ will come to the table in good-faith to discuss time, season, area and gear restrictions. The most important thing they should address is proper and complete delineation of nursery areas and critical habitat areas of particular concern.

This is not about ending all trawling in NC waters. It is about protecting nursery areas from detrimental gear and practices- protection afforded by NC general statute for properly designated waters.

It is certainly possible that the big dealer/trawlers will take an all-or-nothing approach to inside waters. If they can't do it, no one can do it. The last thing the dealers want is a bunch of mom-n-pop trawlers pulling limited gear, in non-nursery areas, controlling the shrimp market. 

If the dealer's huge industrial trawlers get pushed to the ocean, they may try to get all trawlers pushed to the ocean so they can continue to control the market. The dealers depend on a "gut slot" opening of the season to crash the dockside price of shrimp. That can't happen if the smaller vessels work special secondary nursery areas during the summer.

Below are the vessels named in the lawsuit. These industrial trawlers have no business working the Pamlico Sound and Lower Neuse River.

Trawler Christine Ann, Inc., G. Christopher Fulcher, President / Steven L. Weeks, Registered Agent

Capt. Gaston, LLC, Jonathan Brent Fulcher, Managing Member and Registered Agent

Trawler Capt. Alfred, Inc, Carol G. Potter, President and Registered Agent

The Trawler Blackbeard, Lee Bland Williams, Owner and Registered Agent

Lady Samaira, Inc., Sammie E. Williams, President and Registered Agent

Ester Joy, Inc., Glenn B. Cooke, President

Edited by Rick - 19 May 2020 at 9:14am
fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:07am

Trawler Capt. Alfred, Inc, Carol G. Potter, President and Registered Agent    is the F/V Birdie P.

The video below taken by the captain of the vessel shows typical Pamlico Sound bycatch. 

This vessel is trawling in an extremely important undesignated nursery area- adding to nitrification that creates hypoxic conditions and resuspending sediment.

This is why we no longer have healthy stocks of croaker, spot, weakfish, bluecrab and flounders.  It is why landings of those stocks are at recent historical lows.  It has to stop. 

If you're so inclined, CFRG will need help funding this lawsuit in Federal court. Please consider contributing. Thanks

Edited by Rick - 19 May 2020 at 11:31am
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:23am
I would hope CCA, of which i am a life member, and NCWF (Also life member)will join this suit. DEQ, DMF have never negotiated in good faith and with fairness in mind when it comes to recreational fishing and the resource. They never will. Sometimes brute force is required and this is it I hope. I’m all in with $ support. Stand up on your hind legs and be somebody. 
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:48am
It's well documented- trawl bycatch is about 4 : 1.

Kevin Brown in his 2009/2010 bycatch characterization study in the Pamlico Sound found a 3.3 : 1 ratio of which croaker, spot and weakfish made up 80% of total bycatch. Croaker was 19.5 individual fish per pound of croaker bycatch, spot was 26.1 and weakfish was 27.4. The 2015, 2016 and 2017 industry sponsored bycatch reduction trials had a 3.6 : 1 bycatch ratio in the test nets...yes, the nets that had two BRDs and increased tail bag mesh size.

The table below shows average shrimp landings from the Pamlico Sound. This data came straight from DMF last week-

Simple math and extrapolation says-

Over the last ten years, 49,101,304 pounds of shrimp have been landed from the Pamlico Sound yielding an annual average of 4,910,130 pounds.

Average annual bycatch pounds at 3.5: 1 = 17,185,456 pounds.

Croaker-.....170,909,360 fish killed annually.
Spot-.....……. 87,465,378 fish killed annually.
Weakfish-.....46,146,386 fish killed annually.

The above data certainly supports what the ASMFC found in its 2017 croaker and spot stock assessments-

What does dumping 17-million pounds of bycatch do to a mostly enclosed shallow water lagoonal system in the summer and fall months of July-Oct? 

...a system with little tidal exchange or flushing except during extreme climatic events. 

What is the biological oxygen demand to decompose up to 28-million pounds rotting bycatch in a four month summer/fall period? 

At what level does this volume of organic solid waste contribute to nitrification? 

How does this volume of waste contribute to eutrophication and algal bloom development?  

What is the impact of resuspension of sediment?

fiogf49gjkf0d
mrbearhunt View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbearhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:25am
Sending donation today.
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:48pm
The deny and deflect has already started. Now its tug boats that's the problem.

I wish the NC-CFRG all the luck in the world, and will donate to the cause.

But I hope they have some deep pockets in the background because they are going to need it.

Having said that, at least it has a far better shot at success than the incredibly corrupt "rule making process" and the "work within the DMF system"  method.

BW #2
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:15am
tugboats?
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 4:22pm

FROM OUR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR- GLENN SKINNER

Earlier this week, the North Carolina Coastal Fisheries Reform Group made public their intent to sue the State of NC and six commercial fishing businesses for violations of the Clean Water Act. They claim discarding juvenile fish back into the waters from which they came and disturbing bottom sediments while shrimp trawling are violations of the Clean Water Act. 

I’m no expert when it comes to the Clean Water Act, but I am well versed in the many activities that occur in our waters, and in my opinion most result in discarded fish, disturbing bottom sediments, or both.  I’m amazed that while many are discussing how this possible lawsuit will impact shrimp trawling, very few are questioning its impacts to other activities.

We’ve all seen a tugboat pushing barges down the intracoastal waterway turn miles of crystal-clear waters to

“chocolate milk” for hours until the suspended sediments settle back to the bottom.    Is this a violation of the Clean Water Act?    What about dredging, pleasure boating, passenger Ferries or marine construction?  They all have similar impacts.  How far could this go?  Recreational fishermen discard tens of millions of fish annually into N.C. waters with millions dying from post release mortality. Is this pollution?   If so, wouldn’t baiting a crab pot or chumming for cobia also be a violation of the Clean Water Act?

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 6:14pm
That is a stretch even for Glenn
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 33 minutes ago at 10:27am
Wow not sure how I missed that when I read earlier.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 55 minutes ago at 11:05am

FYI-  I'm working to correct the photo links above. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic