FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gillnets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gillnets
    Posted: 29 April 2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

Dumb question.... Aren't gill nets supposed to be for flounder?   And with flounder in a closed season, should there be gill nets in the water?  I thought that red drum and specs and stripers are a bycatch?

Actually I suppose they are for everything that happens to encounter them. Indiscriminate killers. 

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2020 at 6:42pm
That is on west side. I mostly fish eastern shore side and don’t see them.
lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2020 at 5:41pm
TomM how long ago? Poquoson reef is usually covered in them. You can't fish the flats in that area (Back River to Mobjack Bay) without seeing gill nets. Once it warms up you'll see them on the shoals around the CBBT set for spanish mackerel. Those big croakers the lower bay was famous for are pretty much a thing of the past.

Haven't seen any large mesh in SENC lately though!
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2020 at 9:26am
Dumb question.... Aren't gill nets supposed to be for flounder?   And with flounder in a closed season, should there be gill nets in the water?  I thought that red drum and specs and stripers are a bycatch?

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 8:16pm
In lower bay Northampton side 500 yards means you might be on 30- 60 feet of water. Pounds more common. Other stuff on Oscan side 50 miles or so. Fished up there for long time and don’t see them
lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2020 at 7:43pm
Ray, I'm not sure who you are "canvassing" but your facts on Virginia are not correct. Gill nets are fairly common in the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries, follow the fish and you will find them. It's certainly not the same as NC with unattended large mesh in tidal creeks and such, but there are some fairly large operations working the lower bay area with gill nets. 

See the regulations below:

The regulations you are describing are for freshwater (seperate agencies just like NC):

Visit a Virginia fish market and I promise you will find fresh gill net caught saltwater game fish (striped bass). They are even a few boats trawling for shrimp in the ocean off of Virginia Beach and the mouth of the bay now.

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 11:36am
Thanks
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 11:16am
I saw within the last 24 hours the most recent canvassing of states from the Chesapeake Bay to Texas on gillnets.

No state not mentioned below allows any form of gillnets.

NC allows them extensively in both brackish and saltwater.

Virginia allows them a small time of the year in fresh water for what were once herring, but now for shad and perhaps white perch. Not allowed in salt water. North River and Backbay. I've fished both and both are fresh water today even though Backbay was brackish in the 1800's before the inlets in NC above Oregon Inlet were closed by storms.

Georgia; the same as Virginia. Some small use in fresh water during the spring for shad. On the spawning grounds only meaning the fish have been allowed to get to the spawning grounds before harvest by nets is allowed. Mississippi allows a small amount of gillnetting but only with materials that are natural like cotton. No monofilament or nylon nets allowed. Less than 10 licensed gillnetters with a very short season.

NC is uniquely different when it comes to allowances of monofilament gillnets than everyone else and verification of such is the same year after year.

If gillnets were a form of Covid, NC simply refuses to shut down and lets unintended mortality become an accepted part of our marine resources.

And it is not ironic, but true. The same legislators in NC that refuse to curb gillnets are now writing letters to open up this state in the face of Covid 19 before medical professionals (scientists) define a time and method to do so. These are the same ones who have long denied climate change, etc.   Just watch the letters on Facebook and who is petitioning to reopen without medical justifications.

Edited by Ray Brown - 22 April 2020 at 11:23am
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 9:39am
Morally repugnant?

TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 3:05pm
What is their current status
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic