FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support the NC Wildlife Federation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support the NC Wildlife Federation
    Posted: 03 December 2019 at 1:16pm
We all know the great fight the NCWF is leading with two petition for rule making filings on trawling.  We lost both fights, but the battle is far from over on trawling reform.  This past session they successfully herded the Let Them Spawn bill through the House and it's waiting on the Senate in 2020.  There are other irons in the fire.  None of this is cheap.

Today I sent the NC Wildlife Federation my annual donation. Please consider making a donation to help the fight for sustainable fisheries management in NC. Thanks

Edited by Rick - 03 December 2019 at 1:19pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 5:22pm
I second that. I’m a life member of CCA and they try hard but seem fairly feckless. Support NCWF
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 5:37pm
Ouch. Never thought it would be our Life Members that would attempt to drive a wedge between us and the NCWF. Still prefer to be the man in the arena regardless.
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 6:41pm

NCWF just happened to send an email today that rattled my chain to give...a nice reminder with an easy link to click on to donate.

CCA sent a nice letter last week that is sitting in my pile of bills to pay...hopefully tonight.

NCWF and CCA is a great team working together for sustainable fisheries in NC.  I know firsthand about some of the efforts both are putting forth and both are to be commended for the job they are doing fighting the battles...it ain't easy when the Governor is giving $12-million to the commercial sector so they can turn around and re-invest that money in political donations.

CCA is constantly denigrated by the NCFA...there is a reason...they see them as a threat.  That in itself speaks volumes.

den·i·grate
/ˈdenəˌɡrāt/
verb
past tense: denigrated; past participle: denigrated
  1. criticize unfairly; disparage.

Edited by Rick - 04 December 2019 at 12:00pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 7:27pm
I already knew the definition of denigrate and I object to being compared to the NCFA. I clearly support the cause of both but CCA has so far basically been a bystander. NCWF is more aggressive and is actually moving things forward while the CCA waves their arms. Brackish if you want that job you need a thicker skin.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

... but CCA has so far basically been a bystander.

...not true.  You obviously don't understand the amount of facetime they spend on Jones Street.  Nothing substantial (or that the next MFC can't change) is happening through the DMF or MFC.  It will happen legislatively or through the courts.   

Edited by Rick - 03 December 2019 at 7:34pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 7:40pm
I’ve spent quite a bit of time there. I know they are trying but nothing substantive has come out of it. God bless them for trying. I’m just sending my money where it matters.....where I think it matters.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 10:25pm
kshivar, I totally support NCWF and their attempts at reform.  

So far they are strictly attempts in that nothing has made it into statute or rule.  Please write down for us the Marine Fisheries conservation measures that have been enacted as a result of their campaign, because right now they escape me.

In contrast, I would not call the getting the nets out of the Central region and Southern flounder Amendment 2 attempts.  Both were highly significant conservation measures, and both spearheaded by CCA.

I am glad you, like myself, are giving to NCWF who are CCA allies, but you are not giving to them for the reasons you think you are.  
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

kshivar, I totally support NCWF and their attempts at reform.  

So far they are strictly attempts in that nothing has made it into statute or rule.  Please write down for us the Marine Fisheries conservation measures that have been enacted as a result of their campaign, because right now they escape me.

In contrast, I would not call the getting the nets out of the Central region and Southern flounder Amendment 2 attempts.  Both were highly significant conservation measures, and both spearheaded by CCA.

I am glad you, like myself, are giving to NCWF who are CCA allies, but you are not giving to them for the reasons you think you are.  

What do I think?
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 10:42pm
"I’ve spent quite a bit of time there. I know they are trying but nothing substantive has come out of it. God bless them for trying. I’m just sending my money where it matters.....where I think it matters."

The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">"I’ve spent quite a bit of time there. I know they are trying but nothing substantive has come out of it. God bless them for trying. I’m just sending my money where it matters.....where I think it matters."</span>

For what reasons do I think i’m giving them money? Tell me what I think.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 11:17am
Waiting. Come on I really want to know what I think.

Edited by kshivar - 04 December 2019 at 11:27am
scalez View Drop Down
State Board of Directors
State Board of Directors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 11:43am
Guys --- It has been a long uphill battle, thirty years or more, and I am delighted that recently NCWF has joined the fight for preservation of our marine resources. We need all the influence we can muster to turn the long standing abuse around. Public and legislator's attention to the situation will be crucial in the effort. NCWF's initiatives have certainly shed light and raised public awareness. 

Now if we could just get the NCCF to step up to the plate with their supporters and publicists -----
SeaArk 1860 Flounder Pounder
CAPE FEAR CHAPTER
Wilmington, NC
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 3:26pm
I am a life member of CCA and have given a small amount to the NCWF too.

Ironically I handed a check to a member of the NC Senate at lunch.   Sometimes  you just have to try and go direct.

The problem is.....everyone has a different objective.  I heard barking dogs once that seemed like that pack was chasing the same rabbit.  When the pack got splintered the pack no longer pushed the quarry as hard since it wasn't concentrated and the pack lost its punch even though each member of the pack had to find their own food.

It is hard to have a dance when everyone has on head phones and are dancing to a different tune.

(Scalez, I do hope you are kidding.  Go back and study the history of the NCCF.  They were funded and begun by the commercial fishing industry in NC as a buffer to any change to that industry.  They wanted a "conservation" organization waving their banner in Raleigh and boy did they get one.  Ever wonder why the NC legislature funnels 100k through them every year to pay commercial fishermen to clean up the mess that commercial fishermen make?   They get to keep a percent of that money for operating expenses.  Their Director has told more than one of us who contribute to this board that they do not take on the commercial fishing industry since there are other groups who will do that.  Miller says that knowing full well that the largest known man made source of juvenile fin fish mortality on the east coast of the US is in NC.  What kind of conservation group would tolerate that?  And who do you think pushed for the legislation to bring fish pens and water column leases to NC in spite of what was going on in other states by Cooke Aquaculture?  You guessed it.  The NCCF who sold the idea of filtering water.   I trust NCFA a lot more than the NCCF because at least that group doesn't misrepresent themselves to the public or in Raleigh.)

Edited by Ray Brown - 04 December 2019 at 3:35pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
scalez View Drop Down
State Board of Directors
State Board of Directors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 7:24pm
I knew that Ray and also hoped that someone more knowledgeable than I would post the history on NCCF and their hypocrisy. ;-))

Such a shame that their huge base of support is not better informed. That would have a huge impact with our legislators. 

Thanks Ray !!!
SeaArk 1860 Flounder Pounder
CAPE FEAR CHAPTER
Wilmington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic