FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Drum and Kings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Drum and Kings
    Posted: 30 September 2019 at 8:55am

Beautiful weekend!  We got a 6am start towards the Neuse to chase bait balls with popping corks.   It was almost "slick cam" with bait balls in all directions as far as the eye could see.   ...but it was a slow start!  Finally about 9am my #1 son picked up the first 39" fish.  

What a great start to National Son Day-  

I picked up a 40" fish about an hour later and then #1 picked up a nice 42" fish-

It was about 11 o'clock and we decided to call it a morning on the popping corks.

We threw the cast net and sorted through to find three dozen of the largest baits for the live well and headed to the dock to switch boats.  #1 kept the baits alive on the skiff while I rallied the girls, the dog and loaded the king gear.  It was high noon as we transferred bait and headed to a little piece of structure off the Cape.

At 2:30 we had dinner and a little meat for the smoker.  We headed back to the dock to clean fish and to have a cocktail or two before enjoying that nice Spanish.

Four kings...one pulled off right as the gaff almost made it's mark...three for the box- perfect grilling/smoking size and one nice Spanish for the hot grease.  Two knockdowns with mangled baits.  One beautiful skyrocket right behind the boat with no hook-up.

Great Day!

Video quality sucks!  I'll try to edit when I get time-

Sunday back to the Neuse with #1 and a friend for four hours of chasing bait balls with no love from the old drum but plenty of 18" blues.  #1 son did have two hits and good runs but missed a solid hook-up on both.    A buddy showed up on his boat and we left him fishing at 11:00 to head to the dock.  At  2:45 he calls with the message we should have stayed another thirty minutes.  He said it turned on with him getting 12 runs with 9 releases.

Edited by Rick - 30 September 2019 at 10:07am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
aizzo View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 12:06pm
thanks for the report . great day Saturday
jb
mattrich21 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattrich21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 2:42pm
That's awesome, Rick.  

Enjoy the father-son adventures as they come.  They're one of the best gifts we get during our little bit of time on planet Earth.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic