FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooper's DMF Slaps Recs in the face again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper's DMF Slaps Recs in the face again
    Posted: 28 September 2019 at 11:11am
Yet another horrible decision by the Cooper administration.

It just keeps getting worse for recreational fishermen while the commercial fishermen keep doing more damage.

And what do they do with those mackerel?   I can't imagine the price per pound is very high.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 2:23pm
That’s the way it works here in NC. As long as we have liars who spit in our faces such as Cooper, Murphey, etc. it isn’t going to change. Recs have no seat at the table. We are left begging for scraps. Cooper’s latest appts. to MFC will insure any vote goes at least 5-4 in favor of max harvest of dwindling resources. Often it will be 6-3. He has made sure the average citizen gets nothing. He and those of his ilk need to get the message.
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 2:43pm
FL did this last year and didn't blink an eye, an influx of Northern landings closed the season "early". Need to monitor the landings again this year, MRIPs PSE high low estimates and total com landings to the ACL.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Get Bowed Up Get Bowed Up wrote:

FL did this last year and didn't blink an eye, an influx of Northern landings closed the season "early". Need to monitor the landings again this year, MRIPs PSE high low estimates and total com landings to the ACL.

You miss the point. BTW since when do we care what FL does. They took action in the 90’s to save their fisheries. N.C. keeps taking action to destroy them.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Get Bowed Up Get Bowed Up wrote:

Its a lot different than the FL opening.
First, FL went thru the SAFMC (the proverbial "Process" that DMF, DEQ is so fond of) and only FL has the ability to do this, not any other state.

Second, 4 spot/croaker gill netters went to the SAFMC about 10 days ago and complained about all the spanish mackerel bycatch.  Should we even be fishing on spot and croaker based on their status?  The SAFMC IS going to address this bycatch thru their "Process", but that wont happen until next year.

Third, don't EVER compare NC spanish fishery with FL.  In FL, the land of no gill nets, they are caught by cast nets and hook and line.  Only in the land of gill nets is this bycatch a problem, not to mention endangered species interactions.  Only in the land of gill nets do we need not one, but two ITPs for endangered species.  It should be pointed out the stealing the rec quota in NC will unlikely impact the spanish fishery and lead to overfishing.  

Fourth, this stealing of rec quota is symptomatic of certain fisheries managers policies of not leaving any unused quota in the waters.  These fish serve as a biologic buffer in case of bad environmental or errors in stocks assessment-yes this occurs, but rarely.  Moreover recreational fishermen thrive on abundant fish in the water.  Today, if any of you went by the Beaufort or Radio Island ramps, there were trailers all over highway 70.  Why?  Because we are having a banner speckled trout season.  Lots of fish means lots of money to Carteret County.

----------------------

Someone knowledgeable in this sent this parody to me last week. 

Dear Secretary Regan and Director Murphey,

I am so glad yawl have come to your senses with those silly ASMFC rules.  What do those Yankees know anyway?

You have reopened the Spanish mackerel season for commercial fishermen, giving them unused recreational quota.  We certainly don’t want to leave any “extra” fish in the sea.  Kudos!

Let’s not stop there, yawl are on a roll.

We recreational fishermen want you to reopen the recreational Cobia season, to make sure we harvest all that unused commercial cobia quota. 

While we are at it, when the ASMA striped bass commercial quota is unused, please get up with the WRC and have them prolong the recreational fishing season on the Roanoke. 

Lastly, the commercial fishery is having trouble catching their red snappers, so please transfer some it to the recreational side and open the fishery.  We don’t want to leave any fish in the ocean.

Thanks again for maximizing killing.

Sincerely,

Edited by chriselk - 28 September 2019 at 4:50pm
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 6:24pm
Amen. With the author’s permission i’d sign and send. Maybe the author will. It all is true and logical. Albeit logic and common sense are extinct from the Guv on down to MFC.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2019 at 8:56pm
Sounds like a good reason not to keep an accurate record of rec catches, if you can sell the practice of giving our “leftovers” to the com sector.
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Glacierbaze Glacierbaze wrote:

Sounds like a good reason not to keep an accurate record of rec catches, if you can sell the practice of giving our “leftovers” to the com sector.

GB,
I usually agree with you but on this one I just don't know how to say it gently, so I will just blurt it out.

I do NOT think anything you suggest is happening at NC DMF.  You just pissed a bunch of folks off there,  suggesting that they may be doctoring the books.  

DMF may have some problems, but this is not one of them.  This Director would not stand for that.

There are "other' sources of "inaccuracies".  DMF can only make good assessments if the data they are given is robust, complete and accurate.  We all know that does not always happen (for example what was it-a 9 year old kid with red drum trip tickets a few years ago, another example- fishermen fish, but dont always have trip tickets, etc).  

We are sometimes disappointed with DMF, but let's focus on actual issues, not  perceived ones.  We lose our credibility when we don't. 

The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 8:20am
Chris, did you just blurt out that the director sticks us in the bung using good data and we oughta respect that? If the fishworkers on the DMF payroll are pissed at US, then I would suggest that they have had a helluva run US off. Why should we worry that they are pissed in the first place? This board is about us airing our issues with NC fisheries politics, which are certainly monkeyed all to heck and back. Let the director eat "cake", or its brownish fecal cousin.

Edited by cnaff - 01 October 2019 at 4:46am
V/H Dog
cwilli View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 8:57am
So Sammy believes the flounder population is in trouble due to hurricanes and sand washing off our beaches and filling in our estuaries? instead of flounder being over fished by the commercial sector? Really incredible.....sure hate to see years of verified data get in the way of an opinion.

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Nearly three weeks ago, the North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission closed recreational fishing until next year and gave commercial fisherman a much shorter season for Southern Flounder.
According to the commission, Southern Flounder is one of the most caught species on the North Carolina coast.
“Flounder is one of the most important fish recreationally in this state,” Sammy Corbett, a commercial fisherman, said. “When people come down to the beach houses, they want to go catch flounder.”
He does not support the commission’s decision to cut back flounder fishing.
“When you completely close a fishery that’s as popular as flounder, you’re going to put that added pressure on everything else,” Corbett said.
Division of Marine Fisheries closed the commercial and recreational season on September 4th in order to rebuild stock.
But, Corbett, a commercial fisherman, says overfishing is not the culprit of a low flounder stock.
“Our biggest problem is water quality and loss of habitat because our estuaries because of hurricanes washing the sand off our beaches and filling in our estuaries,” Corbett said.
Corbett says this is lowering the water depth and sending the flounder farther out into the ocean. But, he says the commission’s assessment that forced this change does not give the best data of the stock.
Corbett says local seafood markets can explore other options, but it won’t compare to the Southern Flounder.
“They can get fish from other states possibly, but it wont be the same fish,” Corbett said. “It will be a type of flounder. Some of them will probably use halibut. There’s also fish that come in form Argentina and Chile, but it doesn’t taste like our flounder. It’s flat with two eyes on the same side.”
But, he says when this plan was first discussed, commercial fisherman immediately started searching for alternative stock so their pockets wouldn’t take a hard it.
“So, they went to Spanish Mackerel fish,” Corbett said. “For the first time in many many years, they caught the Spanish Mackerel quota, so its closed now and now they are buying crab pods.”
The commission plans to rebuild stock to achieve sustainable harvest within the next 10 years.
The commission has granted flounder harvest season from Core Sound to the South Carolina border starting October 1st through November 15th.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 9:50am
Hmmm. Aren’t our flounder flat with two eyes on one side too? He’s a genius. Probably right about the hurricanes although they’ve been occurring for millions of years.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 10:13am

...so where is the quid pro quo for the recreational sector?

The Director should re-open the recreational Southern flounder fishery Oct 1 taking fish from the commercial side.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cwilli View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 11:24am
“When you completely close a fishery that’s as popular as flounder, you’re going to put that added pressure on everything else,” Corbett said.
I would tend to think when you mismanage the spot, croaker, & Grey Trout population for maximum harvest instead of sustainability....it puts pressure on everything else

Edited by cwilli - 30 September 2019 at 11:25am
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 12:40pm
When is there ever such quid pro quo in NC?
RWoodin View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWoodin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 1:05pm
Folks, I've only been involved with fisheries issues for about eight years so I don't know all the arcane details of FMPs, ACLs and all the other acronyms. I have learned, however, that it makes no difference whether a Democratic or Republican administration is in office. They all believe the commercial industry is some monolithic giant that is not to be crossed for fear of losing re-election. 
That's just not the case. For the first time since Noah, the N.C. House of Representatives this year passed a major piece of fisheries conservation legislation, the "Let 'em Spawn" bill originated by the N.C. Wildlife Federation. It was passed because a lot of fishermen talked personally to their representatives. We at CCA NC need that to happen weekly during the legislative session. Most representatives don't know or care about fisheries issues until we educate them. Be ready to help us make the case when that bill comes up in the Senate next year. If we get some legislative victories, we want need to worry what Regan or Murphey do.
CCA NC needs your participation first and foremost. That doesn't cost a thing except time and effort to visit your legislator when he or she is home. Second, we need your membership, which is not much money, but gives us credence when we tell the solons in Raleigh we represent X number of anglers. And third, we need your money if you're able to give some to finance our fight to save our fisheries for future generations. Thanks.
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 2:04pm
I am a life member but sadly I have found CCANC to be toothless and ineffective. I’m now throwing my support and $ behind NCWF. Having said that thanks to CCA for trying, fecklessly.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 7:26pm
Rip, what is the current membership of CCANC?

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2019 at 7:54pm
Chris, I am not suggesting that anyone at DMF is cooking the books. As far as I know, this spanish re-allotment was a new thing, and I am simply saying that recs should not sit silently by, and let it become standard operating procedure.  I would not be shy about saying that they spend a lot of time, money, and energy cooking up ways to keep commercial fishermen happy, even letting them help write the cook book.
If rec catch data is part of anyone's recipe, whatever they serve up is going to be pretty bland.

lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2019 at 12:22pm
Set nets right off the beach in 75-80 degree water, and complain you are catching Spanish? Who would have thunk it.

Edited by lcg8978 - 01 October 2019 at 12:23pm
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2019 at 10:50am
I definitely missed the point, should of known better, gill nets, got it.

And I fully agree about the FL topic as they have been in timeout killing major portions of their inshore fisheries. As for the feds you bet I'll one for one with other states bc the law requires fair and equitable, gillnet or no gillnet. That was my only point.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic