FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

True Colors Shining Through

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: True Colors Shining Through
    Posted: 22 September 2019 at 3:37pm

I wonder if she's just as worried about the tackle shop owners and guides who are losing money because her husband screwed them over?? 
And the recs are now staying home so the coastal economy will take more of a hit. 

Cooper has ruined any chance of a comeback.  5 out of 9 votes are now commercial so it's going to get worse.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
bizzyb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bizzyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 5:21pm
She also went to Jarett Bay boat works to see the economic impact recreational fishing has on the economy. If you are going to “report”, report the full story.
Everything changes, so does the way we fish.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 5:26pm
Biz full story might include boat companies that make smaller boats that most of the recs use inshore and near shore.
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 6:21pm
Went to Jarret Bay? Lol
The issue with the shrimp season is that most of the shrimp have black gill disease this year. I dont see that talked about anywhere. I am enjoying my time down here in Louisiana preparing for the redfish world series. It gets harder and harder to go back home each time.

And who is the idiot being rumored pushing for circle hooks and barbless hooks back home in NC?? I just heard about that. No other state that we fish in requires crap like that.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by bizzyb bizzyb wrote:

She also went to Jarett Bay boat works to see the economic impact recreational fishing has on the economy. If you are going to “report”, report the full story.

LOL - are you really going to defend your boss with Jarett Bay as a connection to rec fishing????  Haven't seen many of those fishing points in the western Pamlico.  Then again - there's not a whole lot of reason to fish those points now that your MFC has worked its magic.

Instead of trying to put a good spin onto a really bad story, why don't you call your boss and let him know that he has failed miserably with regard to marine fisheries issues.   

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 9:03pm
I attended that meeting.
There were less than 50 people present.
There were less than 15 commercial fishermen.
There were probably more press and waterkeepers present.
It was pitiful

Larry Baldwin, the Crystal Coast Waterkeeper was the convener of the meeting.

I am here to tell  you that Larry was just as painful in person as he was on the tape referenced above.
He knows little of fishing, but since it was "The Larry Show", it did not stop him from telling us all about it.

Example.

Someone should tell Larry that in good years NC shrimpers can only supply about 25% of the shrimp consumed in NC, if all of it stays in NC.  
This is because the per capita consumption of shrimp is 4 lbs per person.  Thats 40 million pounds consumed annually in this state and annual harvest has varied between 6 and 14 million pounds.

Larry, where did you expect the rest of the shrimp to come from?

Another speaker was just as bad.  Citing that pollution is impacting the 100 million dollar commercial fishing industry.  Afterwards I had words with him, very polite words, about that number.  I corrected him and explained the importance of the pollution on recreational and commercial fishing based on relative economic value to the State.  He had no idea, which is sad based on his position.

One of the panelists from Harkers Island told how they were "farmers", plowing the bottom.  They are neither farmers, it is not their land and they don't plant a darn thing.

These are the folks influencing the people in Raleigh.  In this case the only person from Raleigh was the honorable Ms. Cooper (the better half of the Governor).  

One cannot make this stuff up.  The entire program was taped by WITN and Riverkeepers.  I assume it is available to the public.

--

On one hand.  The hurricanes have impacted fishing in both sectors and also shellfish aquaculture. One of the speakers in that tape has been impacted on more than one occasion at his shellfish lease.

On the other hand.  Did not the commercial sector, which is a fraction of worth of the recreational fishing industry, receive hurricane funds?  For every one million in recovery doled out to the commercial sector, shouldn't the recreational industry receive 20 million, based on relative economic impacts?

Edited by chriselk - 23 September 2019 at 6:58am
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2019 at 10:04pm
Well said
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 8:46am
Thank you, Chris, for attending the meeting(s) and sharing your observations. 
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 8:47am

Thanks Chris!  If only you could tell the truth to people who care and will listen.  Not happening with the current administration.  The deep pockets of the NCFA have control of Regan and Cooper.  I'm not sure Cooper fully understands that...but I think he will on Nov 3, 2020.

Edited by Rick - 23 September 2019 at 8:48am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Thanks Chris!  If only you could tell the truth to people who care and will listen.  Not happening with the current administration.  The deep pockets of the NCFA have control of Regan and Cooper.  I'm not sure Cooper fully understands that...but I think he will on Nov 3, 2020.

He understands. He is clearly involved in the deep pockets (see Tom Hendrickson). Cooper lied to us all. He didn’t flip flop. He lied never having any intention of protecting the resource. The only thing he wants to protect is his re-election.
hghcpa View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hghcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

He understands. He is clearly involved in the deep pockets (see Tom Hendrickson). Cooper lied to us all. He didn’t flip flop. He lied never having any intention of protecting the resource. The only thing he wants to protect is his re-election.

I voted for Cooper for one reason only - the supposed manifesto he wrote indicating protection of the resource was his highest priority.

I will vote for whoever runs against him just because of him not standing behind his word

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by hghcpa hghcpa wrote:

Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

I voted for Cooper for one reason only - the supposed manifesto he wrote indicating protection of the resource was his highest priority.

I will vote for whoever runs against him just because of him not standing behind his word

Been there.  Done That.  Will Do the Same.  I'll buy the t-shirt if someone will print them up.

Edited by Rick - 23 September 2019 at 6:28pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:26pm
Same here........

BW #2
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 5:34am
On the back: r. cooper, satan's fisheries representative. On the pocket: wholly owned by ncfa. On the sleeve: sucks to be us here in good ol' n.c. Don't bother to visit, invite us to your state!
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 5:37am
Oh yeah,on the belly, pr by bizzyb.
V/H Dog
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:34am
Agree... voted for Cooper just for fishery reform.

He lied to the voters.

I would vote for nearly anyone running against him.

Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 1:42pm
T-shirt??

Hmmmm.  Got me thinking.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:07pm

After Tillis failed to address his promises on gamefish and set-up the good-cop/bad-cop routine with Berger, I printed the following "Voter ID Card" for myself that I carry to this day in my wallet.  Anytime I get the chance to talk with a politician about fisheries issues, I pull it out.  I explain that they have a lot of votes supporting them if they will just do what is right for our coastal resources... or the converse.

Cooper made that promise both in person and on his webpage-  https://www.roycooper.com/marine-fisheries/

Has Cooper been a complete failure?  No

We got the striped bass CSMA proclamation because of his appointments of Bizzell, Boltes and Kornegay.   If you look at the letter that Murphey and Regan put out after that action, they completely shot themselves in the foot.  It was amateur hour where they tried to distance themselves from the supplement action in order to protect their relationship with the commercial sector.  Go figure.  Almost a 100% stocked fishery paid for by tax/sportsman's dollars in which the commercials were killing 85% of the fish and preventing recovery.  So much for being environmental stewards.

We got license reform.  The Division was in direct violation of statute and rule, and had been for years.  Keep in mind that the Division admitted that 80% of license transfers were an "exception".   They had to do something or risk a lawsuit.  The commission voted to strictly adhere to statute and rule.   With 80% of transfers being an exception to statute and rule, we'd expect transfers to fall precipitously... but that hasn't happened.  There appears to be a wink and nod going on at the Division with how they are coding transfers-

We got flounder reductions...after twenty years of overfishing and the stock being overfished.  

I don't have twenty years to win the next battle.

One and done if you don't support fisheries reform.

Edited by Rick - 24 September 2019 at 3:25pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic