FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New flounder regulations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ugly Boat View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ugly Boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New flounder regulations
    Posted: 27 August 2019 at 9:23am
I understand the DMF voted for a rec and commercial closure beginning early September.  Does anyone know more detail on this?  PS - I have greatly enjoyed the fish reports and pics recently!
220 Bay Scout 200 Yamaha
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Ugly Boat Ugly Boat wrote:

I understand the DMF voted for a rec and commercial closure beginning early September.  Does anyone know more detail on this?  PS - I have greatly enjoyed the fish reports and pics recently!

Goal is to get a 62% reduction in 2019 and 72% reduction in 2020 forward.

Hook and line- Rec season projected to close sometime by the end of next week and will not reopen until August 16, 2020 for a season that will run through Sept 30.

Commercial season closes next week and then will reopen on Sept 15, 2019 with staggered closes North to South- Northern – Sept. 15 through Oct. 13;  Central – Sept. 15 through Oct. 17; and Southern – Sept. 15 through Nov. 2.

The 2020 commercial season will be- Northern – Sept. 15 through Oct. 6; Central – Sept 15 through Oct. 11; and Southern – Sept 15 through Oct. 20. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 9:11am
Why the variances in dates and why is anyone allowed to take flounder after the first closure date?
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:44pm
You know the answer😩
Paralichthys View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paralichthys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2019 at 12:00am
Sounds like we've all caught our last flounders.
swangler49 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swangler49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 12:00pm
check out S Carolina's new limes on flounder???????
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:22pm

I heard it's twenty fish per day.

Think about this math-

SC has basically zero commercial landings of southern flounder.  They have reserved that stock for the recreational sector, which is smart if you're trying to drive coastal economies with the biggest bang for the buck.

NC allows commercials to land about 80% and recreational anglers to land 20% of its total combined harvest of Southern flounder.

Here's where the math comes in-

The rec limit is four fish per day.  If NC gave 100% to the recreational sector like SC does then recs would get anther 4/5 of total landings or 16 additional fish taking our rec limit to 20 fish per day...exactly what SC allows. 

Edited by Rick - 24 September 2019 at 3:23pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic