FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUGE reduction in crab harvest coming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUGE reduction in crab harvest coming
    Posted: 10 August 2019 at 9:54am

This is from the MFC announcement email.

"A 2018 stock assessment determined that North Carolina’s blue crab stock is overfished and overfishing is occurring. At least a 0.4% reduction in the number of crabs harvested is needed to end overfishing within two years, as required by law. At least a 2.2% reduction in the number of crabs harvested is needed to achieve sustainable harvest within 10 years, as required by law. 
The draft amendment includes several options for achieving these harvest reductions."

This has to be one of the most ridiculous recommendations I have ever seen.

"overfished and overfishing is occurring"   SO LET'S TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH A 0.4% REDUCTION 

I think they should get bold and go for a 0.43729% reductionLOLLOL.   No wait - go CRAZY with a 0.4429851 reductionLOL

I wonder of anybody there even understands fisheries science?Confused

If our crabs have a face - this recommendation just slapped them on it.  Truly insulting Angry

Crabs may be the most poorly managed species we have.  I wonder if DMF has  figured out which shades of orange are still legal for sponger harvest?DeadDeadDeadDeadDead

WHAT A JOKE!

Edited by bakesta - 10 August 2019 at 9:55am
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2019 at 8:22pm
Hopefully, it was just a an error in notation. Like this one:

“I think they should get bold and go for a 0.43729% reductionLOLLOL.   No wait - go CRAZY with a 0.4429851 reductionLOL”
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 11:52am
I called Patricia Smith and asked if the decimal was in the right spot,and was informed that both were.  

Good Fishing
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 1:49pm
Don't they will probably just reccomend a closed rec season on blue crab. That will fix it....
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Chuck Laughridge Chuck Laughridge wrote:

I called Patricia Smith and asked if the decimal was in the right spot,and was informed that both were.  

Good Fishing

Did you happen to ask her if they meant to use both a decimal, and a percentage sign?
 How do you budget resources to study a 4/10 of one percent reduction?

"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 5:15pm
Thanks Chuck.  

When I first saw the email I assumed it was a typo and started to email her about it and then I thought I could just check the briefing book.  A quick scan led me to believe that 0.4% is what they have recommended.  40% would make a real change.  0.4% will do nothing.

Truly ridiculous.

When I get time, I may go do some extrapolating now that it's legal in North Carolina fish management.Big smile

I'm betting that one industry that has nothing to do with crabs kills quite a few crabs that are too small to harvestWink.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 5:42pm
Well this didn't take long.

Hope my math is right - feel free to correct me.

The Pamlico shrimp trawl study published several years ago by Brown showed that 14,585 blue crabs were caught as bycatch with 12,678 pounds of shrimp.

That's 1.15 blue crabs for every pound of shrimp.

So.......... 

Shrimp (lbs) individual Blue Crabs
2015    9,116730 x 1.15 = 10,484,240
2016 13,195,269 x 1.15 = 15,174,559
2017 13,905,392 x 1.15 = 15,991,201
2018  9,729,526 x 1.15 = 11,188,955

total 52,838,955

4 year average = 13,209,739 dead blue crabs per year in shrimp trawl bycatch

Hmmmmm - i wonder if that would make a difference?   If 0.4% is going to make a difference, I'll bet adding  13 million blue crabs a year into our sound would kind of change things a bit. 

Isn't it funny (sad) how so many of our important commercial species have been hurt while one industry just keeps grinding along????

Edited by bakesta - 12 August 2019 at 5:49pm
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 6:30pm
Yes it does. It seems to be “untouchable “ a protected class even from out of state.

Edited by TomM - 12 August 2019 at 6:43pm
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 7:51pm
Now this kind of adds to the damage.

I've been trying to figure out how big these crabs are and the average I came up with from the DMF study is that they are about 1 ounce, which is about 28 grams.

I then tried to cross reference with some old crab studies and I can only find a graph that shows that a 2.3 inch crab is about 15 grams.

SO --- I'm going to take a really rough guess and say that the average size of NC bycatch crabs is about 3 inches.

And now maybe you're saying who cares.   Well - that's bigger than I kind of expected (not sure why i expected anything)  and it means that the trawlers are killing about 13 million 3 inch crabs. 

Now that is a lot of crabs that are not far from adulthood.

Too bad they get shoveled back overboard dead.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 8:11pm
If you want a really good laugh, think about it from this perspective- that 0.4% only has to have a 50% chance of being right.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 9:50pm
50%?!?!?!

I'm willing to bet that the 0.4% reduction has 0.0% chance of having a real effect.

If the crab numbers increase, the 0.4% reduction will be 0.0% responsible.

And if the numbers decrease, it will be 100% due to mismanagement.

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 11:13pm
Let us not forget that it was the crabbers in the Albemarle sound watershed that got Marc Basnight to ban shrimp trawls from Albemarle sound. They knew this back then and did something about it. Heck, everyone knows. But those that can do something about it in the rest of the state refuse to.
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic