FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forget NC - just go south

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forget NC - just go south
    Posted: 09 July 2019 at 1:53pm
I was talking to a neighbor last night and he said that when he retires, he plans to move somewhere around Myrtle Beach.  I asked why and the answer shocked me.

He said he used to fish a lot but sold his boat 10 years ago because the fishing is so bad around here.  He shook his head and said "you can't imagine what it was like growing up here - fishing was so much fun."

He said he plans to be active when he retires in 2 years and that I can't imagine how much better the fishing is in south carolina.   He said it's easy and fun down there.  I've lived next to him for 7 years and didn't know he fished.

I asked him if he followed the attempts at reform and he just laughed and said hell no - wouldn't waste his time.  His opinion is that the fish are gone from North Carolina and won't be back in his lifetime so he's going to the next state down.

With the misinformation attacks from the rec and guide side on Let them Spawn and its rapid death in the senate, and the misinformation from guides on the striper issue   -- along with the slow but total death of the NCWF shrimp trawl petition at the hands of the DMF  -- I really think my neighbor is right.  

We are a long way off from reform that will make a difference.  I fully expect the potential flounder reforms to be gutted and/or "worked around" by comms so I've lost my hope on that too.

I don't know if I'll ever give up fishing in North Carolina or not but I can't imagine it will cause me to move.  Who knows - one day the gillnetting and shrimp trawling will be gone - would be nice if I get to enjoy it - but not counting on it.

Once again - I just can't get away from this sh$t.   

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 2:01pm
Sad isn’t it
hghcpa View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hghcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 2:42pm
Lawsuit of some sort is the only way to timely reform of the mess our fisheries are in.
mrbearhunt View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbearhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 2:43pm
My friends are saying the same, I'll be going down to SC soon to see for myself. 
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by hghcpa hghcpa wrote:

Lawsuit of some sort is the only way to timely reform of the mess our fisheries are in.

I used to believe that but there's nobody who has both the standing and the  money who is willing to sue.  That's an old dead threat.  

Only the comms can win a lawsuit in this state anyhow.

Change will only come when a house or senate leader who is the exact opposite of Sen. Basnight is in charge.  And then it will just happen.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by mrbearhunt mrbearhunt wrote:

My friends are saying the same, I'll be going down to SC soon to see for myself. 

Please let me know what you think of SC via this thread or PM.  I really am curious.

Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Originally posted by mrbearhunt mrbearhunt wrote:

Please let me know what you think of SC via this thread or PM.  I really am curious.

I've fished SC quite a bit over the years.  If you like to inshore fish, it's second only to La. in my opinion. 
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 10:26pm
Eastern shore pretty good too. Desolate in winter tho
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic