FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why doesn't anyone post anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ugly Boat View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ugly Boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why doesn't anyone post anymore?
    Posted: 26 June 2019 at 4:31pm
I was about to post a report from last weekend but realized no one has posted since my last report.  I miss reading other posts here -  even from areas I don't fish.  It's entertaining to read and think about when taking a breather from work on a Monday morning.  
Are people guarding against cyber scouting or has all of the fish chatter moved to social media?  
It's not necessary to pinpoint your favorite locations.  Judging from the traffic still on this site people still drop by here and everybody has something to say/post.
I do hope people will begin posting again and I pledge to give a detailed report when someone else makes a post.

220 Bay Scout 200 Yamaha
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 5:42pm
I think social media has killed the fishing reports for the most part.
swordfish11 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 10:00am
Too much politics on this forum. Fishing reports should be just that....reports, not comm vs rec.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 11:22am
See above post
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 3:52pm
Alright swordie11! There are trout along the outer banks, with keepers available and a three pounder every now and then for the lucky caster. I personally caught some of these fish the last time the moon and wind were right, and I have amazingly managed a nice mess of white perch or two, but these were kinda special and not always in evidence while trouting. Flounder are holding nicely as a collapsed stock, and I wish I could report that they are around biting my hooks, but you do see reports of a stray flatty sometimes in the local reports, despite my reservations. The trout respond well to a shrimp fly for me, on the moon with proper wind, of course, but the flounder that used to abide are either too damn smart for their old favorite flies, or they have been relocated. The sheepshead have become a fish for everybody who wants to fish next to vertical, cast concrete, and OI bridge is interesting for the fact that large swathes of the old unit are disappearing from demolition for some promising structure that I hope is piling up on good ocean bottom somewhere not too far away. Schools of puppy and yearling drum, are possibly staging near for a little midsummer excitement, but they show up in reports where certain anglers get them from the beach, and I've heard of none on the inside where in some years I was danged lucky enough to get a few on those shrimp flies and clousers, but not every year makes up in the puppy department, and I do dream about that happening. I am amused by people who get turned off by political reactions to our fishing scene, as politics generally determines how we use and conserve the various species I try to catch, and I find I sure can't use em if we don't conserve them, because somebody can always catch em way better that me, and in hugely different quantities than I can get with a 6 weight. But I have a lifelong commitment to angling and would want to try any place that LOOKS good, because I am a sap for the possibility of a bite. Not the worst season this year, all in all, but we've had enough crappy seasons on the inside around here that it doesn't require the good fishing we used to enjoy to elicit a joyous response from many of us who fish around here, because we are just happy to get a bite from a fish, and past deprivation makes a tiny bit of love so, so sweet! But I would prefer a much larger contingent of anglers and fishermen who can stomach a little politics because that's where fisheries in N.C. are determined as to conservation, depletion and abundance. I can't get past the idea that we, as anglers, help each other when we discuss the relevant causes of these various conditions within fish populations, but I do understand that for many people, fish reports exist in a vacuum that must be scrubbed of any heavy lifting, so I'm happy to do my part on your behalf. Idyllic fishing in a politics free estuary to you and yours!
V/H Dog
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 5:26pm
From Chris Bait and tackle. Consistent limits of cobia flounder at bridge and Oyster croakers showing in good numbers.......... meanwhile on the home front catfish are biting
Ugly Boat View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ugly Boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:26am
Thanks for posting y'all.  We have been catching some decent trout and flounder each day (over 20") with the best fishing a few weeks ago when the water temp was in the upper 70's on the big water.  The bite has cooled off a bit inshore with the hotter water. We have been seeing some juvenile drum (10"-14") which is encouraging but I haven't caught one as big as my shoe yet this year.
220 Bay Scout 200 Yamaha
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 4:15pm
The under slot to just slot puppies have shown up inside and in the OI in mass and CR over slot when sharks & blue fish aren't around. Guides are having no issues finding trout & flounder either.

Pier and surf have had one hell of a Spanish run, triggers, and it seems flounder of keepers size are around. Short run of choppers yesterday on some piers. AND pompano too

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 11 July 2019 at 8:03am
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:53am
Lizard fish are healthy and abundant as usual.

Flounder have been decent in numbers with many undersized flatties in the mix.

Have seen and caught a few undersized reds while out flounder fishing and yes I have noticed a surprising uptick in the amount of people targeting sheepshead. That has been one of my favorite off the path species over the years and I now see alot of people fishing the Swansboro bridges and other areas. A little more than usual but still seeing many in the 5lb range in other areas I fish along a bulkhead.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2019 at 1:27pm

A little late April pond fishing with the ultralite.  Spent two hours catching these on almost every cast.  It's amazing with the absence of Tragedy of The Commons how good fishing can be with a little common sense management-

Early May found some Spanish and Bonita off Shackleford. Those Bonita require a little cleaning time but boy are they good eating-

Found a few kings on the Barge and then at NWP1 in June-  Perfect eating size.

...for reference, that's a 150qt cooler-

I've been enjoying smoked fish dip-

June the 29th was a perfect day for small boat ocean fishing.  Hit the Barge, NWP 1 and the West Rock.  Small kings (sublegal) and sharks everywhere.  Picked up a nice dolphin on live bait tackle.  The dog enjoyed watching the mahi tail walk and tried to convince us that he could do a better job retrieving that fish than we were doing.  Bottom dropped a few BSB and Grunts.  The Grunts were damn good eating-

It's amazing what a little decreased effort will do for the southern flounder fishery. Thank you Mathew and Florence. Damn shame we have to use natural disasters to manage our fisheries. Looking forward to what science based management will bring. Best Flounder fishing I've seen in ten years thanks to a little escapement in 2015 after the MHC voted to raise the commercial size limit to 15".  Escapement again in 2016 thanks to Mathew and then again last year thanks to Florence.  Maybe Amendment 2 and 3 will get it right after 25-years of kicking the can down the road-

Caught a nice two man limit of flounder on Saturday-

...and my sea robin citation-

Edited by Rick - 22 July 2019 at 11:53am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 5:17pm
Fished the rising tide today on a nice drop (10-feet of water) smallest was 17 and the biggest was 24 with a nice flounder in the mix of small blues and trout-

Edited by Rick - 22 July 2019 at 11:46am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2019 at 4:31pm
Nice catch. You are really tough to fish in this heat
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by TomM TomM wrote:

Nice catch. You are really tough to fish in this heat

I promised myself after a few of those cold days this winter that I'd never complain about the heat...especially if the fish are biting.  Smile

This trip broke the old axiom that the dog days of July require early and late fishing.  This was middle of the day hot:30.  The tide was running strong and being pushed by a 18mph wind with gusts to 29. Set up off a point/shoal in the deep water with the current and wind pushing up the channel.  

There is another old axiom about a blind hog...

Guys- the fish are here and they're nice fish, flounder and trout.  Go fishing.

What's happened?  A combination of management measures and decreased effort due to two natural disasters- Matthew and Florence.

Speckle Trout
We had Hurricane Matthew in Oct 2016.  Effort was down and fish escaped to grow and spawn.

We had a cold-stun event in late December 2017.  Director Murphey followed FMP protocol taking appropriate management measures to close the fishery until June 15, 2018.  Clap  Effort was down and fish escaped to grow and spawn.

Hurricane Florence hit in September causing widespread devastation to coastal areas due to wind and historical flooding.  Effort was down and fish escaped to grow and spawn.

Let's get the next FMP right.  Let's don't manage by natural disasters.  Let's take the pressure off of trout.  

The absolute first thing to do is have an annual seasonal closure from Jan 1 until March 31.

Southern Flounder
Another tale of escapement, minor due to management and major due to weather.

In 2016 we saw the universal 15" size limit- commercials went from 14 to 15, fish escaped.  We also had Hurricane Matthew in 2016, fish escaped.  In 2018 we had Hurricane Florence, fish escaped.

The Division is on the right track with Amendment 2.  2016 and 2018 will help jump start the recovery A-2 will bring.

Edited by Rick - 22 July 2019 at 12:56pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Dogparty View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogparty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 1:44pm
I am so happy to see a few "recent" posts here.  Used to check this site daily, then it went silent.  I like to know about the management issues - if not too overdone.  Don't think the Rec vs Com slant is very useful or constructive.  It is OUR resource - all of us.

Hope to see you all at the Marine Fisheries Resources Commission meetings this week - Public comments Thursday evening and Friday morning
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 3:26pm

Here's another report-

Dark:30 start with lighting flashing in the East. Quick check of the radar showed it moving N- NE and a window to fish ahead of the next bands. Found a heck of an area of bait being busted at first light, all kinds of bait- schools of menhaden, finger mullet and glass minnows all in the same area.  Fun was had with a bone color Heddon Super Spook Jr.  The biggest trout was 23".  When the top water bite stopped, I changed out to a Z-Mann TroutTrick 5" Sexy Mullet with a little of inshore Pro-Cure and started beating some 3 to 4 foot banks.  Found a considerable number of 11" to 13" flounder and also a nice number of same size red drum.  Managed to find four keeper flounder.  Where are the slot drum?  I am just not seeing them this year in the spots that I normally find them.  The flounder bites were almost indiscernible, PowerPro helped a bunch other than those pesky wind knots.

fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Dogparty Dogparty wrote:

I am so happy to see a few "recent" posts here.  Used to check this site daily, then it went silent.  I like to know about the management issues - if not too overdone.  Don't think the Rec vs Com slant is very useful or constructive.  It is OUR resource - all of us.

Hope to see you all at the Marine Fisheries Resources Commission meetings this week - Public comments Thursday evening and Friday morning

...actually I think you meant to say Wednesday evening and Thursday morning-

fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic