FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Myrtle beach shark attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chasintrout View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myrtle beach shark attack
    Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:27pm
I’m thinking trawl boats are the cause of the shark bite in myrtle beach? No wait, didn’t someone say sc was different then NC? They don’t allow trawling in the beach! What a joke
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:46pm
Chasing trout... Anyone and everyone that follows this issue knows SC and Georgia allows shrimping in the ocean.... What they don't do is allow it inside the inlets.

But if you dump trawl by catch in saltwater, the odds are great sharks will be close no matter the zip code.
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 7:21am
Are we really trying to blame shark attacks on trawl bycatch now? The water is warm and there is an abundance of food close to shore, so the sharks are there too. Add in hundreds of thousands of people swimming (if not millions) and the odds are pretty high someone eventually gets bit. It's the same story up and down the coast, regardless of trawlers.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 8:11am
Lcg... There have been incidents in NC where trawls were seen dumping by catch off NC beaches prior to a shark attack in the same area. Well documented cases.

CT is pointing out that shark attacks happen in other states too where shrimping is known to occur.

I was just agreeing with him.

I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by lcg8978 lcg8978 wrote:

Are we really trying to blame shark attacks on trawl bycatch now? The water is warm and there is an abundance of food close to shore, so the sharks are there too. Add in hundreds of thousands of people swimming (if not millions) and the odds are pretty high someone eventually gets bit. It's the same story up and down the coast, regardless of trawlers.

I'll answer your question with a yes  and offer a simple question in return.

If you dump 30+ million pounds of chum in the water every year, will you attract more sharks?

We've all seen the videos.  Hundreds and hundreds of sharks follow EACH trawler.  The effect is that North Carolina inshore waters have become an easy meal ticket for sharks.   The Pamlico has even developed into a bull shark nursery.  Maybe they would leave if inshore trawling stopped.

It's not complicated.   Our commercial fishing practices have caused us to have more sharks.

Increasing the number of sharks will increase the number of shark bites.

I know a very easy solution.Wink

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Originally posted by lcg8978 lcg8978 wrote:

I'll answer your question with a yes  and offer a simple question in return.

If you dump 30+ million pounds of chum in the water every year, will you attract

more sharks?

Kind of a ‘duh’ moment. Yes chum attracts sharks.
We've all seen the videos.  Hundreds and hundreds of sharks follow EACH trawler.  The effect is that North Carolina inshore waters have become an easy meal ticket for sharks.   The Pamlico has even developed into a bull shark nursery.  Maybe they would leave if inshore trawling stopped.

It's not complicated.   Our commercial fishing practices have caused us to have more sharks.

Increasing the number of sharks will increase the number of shark bites.

I know a very easy solution.Wink

Kind of a ‘duh’ moment.

Edited by kshivar - 11 June 2019 at 9:27am
lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2019 at 12:15pm
The food is there whether it's alive or dead and that's why the sharks are there.. I don't think you'd see any change in shark numbers if all trawling stopped today (other than they wouldn't be hanging out behind the trawlers for an easy meal). If commercial fishing is somehow to blame, it's more likely that the lack of commercial fishing pressure for these larger coastal sharks (due to increased regulation) is to blame. Science says it's water temperature, populations starting to rebound, and increased tourism (more people in the water = more get bit).

I don't like inshore trawling either, but you're really making a stretch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic