FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ft Macon Shark Attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ft Macon Shark Attack
    Posted: 03 June 2019 at 4:01pm

My heart felt sympathies go out to this little girl and her family, especially her father-

What factor does trawl bycatch contribute to the increase in shark attacks?

This thread discussed that last year-

South Carolina has "restricted areas" where trawling is not allowed off its swimming beaches-

The NC Legislature needs to comprehensively address commercial fishing issues. Not only is it a resource issue related to sustainable fisheries, but it appears to be a public safety one as well.

Edited by Rick - 03 June 2019 at 4:09pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
chasintrout View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 10:37pm
Just FYI, bogue banks has a 1/2” mile buffer that is closed to trawling
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 7:48am
Originally posted by chasintrout chasintrout wrote:

Just FYI, bogue banks has a 1/2” mile buffer that is closed to trawling

Doesn't appear to be codified in Rule-

Please provide a source.

Thanks
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 12:28pm
Plenty of hungry sharks around a trawler just out of Beaufort Inlet on Sunday afternoon late.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 5:59pm
A Harvard lawyer couldn’t find it in their rule book online. But I can tell you for a fact that if you call the dmf they will tell you it starts around oceana pier and runs west to Emerald Isle. I know because I’ve worked on boats that had to stay out of these areas and dmf frequently enforced this during tourist seasons.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 6:33pm
DMF enforced- oxymoron 😩
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 8:17pm
If you dump 30 million pounds of chum into the water every year, you will attract A LOT of sharks to your coast.

We've even created a bull shark nursery in the pamlico.

The damage done by the trawlers is massive.   Berger/Cooper/Moore do NOT care.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 3:32pm

A Harvard lawyer couldn’t find it in their rule book online. But I can tell you for a fact that if you call the dmf they will tell you it starts around oceana pier and runs west to Emerald Isle. I know because I’ve worked on boats that had to stay out of these areas and dmf frequently enforced this during tourist seasons.

...and now for the rest of the story.  (not a Harvard lawyer, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once)

The only trawling restrictions off Bogue Banks (the area in question) address mesh size.  Trawling right up to the beach is legal as long as you are running the net size show in yellow below-

Edited by Rick - 07 June 2019 at 3:35pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 3:35pm
That’s shrimp trawls you bozo. Anything under the size indicated is restricted. Shrimp trawls fall in that category.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 3:38pm

That’s shrimp trawls you bozo. Anything under the size indicated is restricted. Shrimp trawls fall in that category.

Didn't the NCFA just test 1-3/4" and 1- 7/8" trawls and say they worked?  I agree it limits most boats, but it is not closed.  SC is closed- period.

Edited by Rick - 07 June 2019 at 3:41pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 4:50pm
Tested tailbags not trawls. Most boats use close to that size mesh in ocean anyway.. It limits all boats if under 4”, which all of them are.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 5:04pm

Tested tailbags not trawls. Most boats use close to that size mesh in ocean anyway.. It limits all boats if under 4”, which all of them are.

So what fishery is using gear that is allowed in the that area?  Is it just a de facto ban without calling it a ban?
fiogf49gjkf0d
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 6:10pm
Sounds a lot like if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If you’re a commercial fisherman, you would blame it on heavy reatrictions on harvesting large coastal sharks for the last decade. :-)

Correlation does not imply causation.

IF blacktip, there are bunches around Beaufort Inlet and have been for the past two decades that I’m aware of.

Topwater fishery for them (shhhh) outside of Taylors Creek/inside the Inlet. And my buddy and I had a blast for ~ 15 years in the hole south of Sand Dollar Island.

Lots of blacktips, spinners and one lemon > 200#.

Sad for the girl with remarkable attitude and fortunate her dad was EMS trained.

Edited by BaitWaster - 07 June 2019 at 6:11pm
I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 7:30pm
I think it was Aristotle with syllogism- two things known to be true lead to a third that must be true. Logic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic