FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly leaders for Spanish mackeral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly leaders for Spanish mackeral
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:00am
Chuck! And you other Mack-on-fly fans, what leader material and test do you use for Spanish, normally? What would you use if you were targeting big Spanish in the 7 pound category? Thanks for any input, "30#" is all I've ever used for these fish, so far, on a fly rod.
V/H Dog
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:06am
Hard to "target" big spanish, but I'd use the same leader that I use for small kings.  Use the smallest black swivel (I know this is not IGFA appoved) to your 20/25 fluro, 5 inches of thin wire (same as on a king rig or thinner, with haywire to fly.  

Big thing to remember, a 5lb and over spanish will eat small bait, but it'll  also eat a 10/12' shad.  If going deep over bait/structure, I'd use a fly in the 6/8" range.  

Good Fishing!!!  
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:34am
New myself to fly fishing, but I have heard what CH has suggested many times or a bite tippet of 40-60#, on a rig either set up with a floating line and a popper or a intermediate sinking line with say a Lefty's Deceiver 4-6", a Surf Candy fly, or clouser 4-6".

But if you are going for a bigger guy in the high weight 7+lb range then I would say up the size a little, maybe even try a chum slick like the guys down in Florida use. They use a chum block and toss glass minnows into the slick to get a bunch of spanish fishing around them.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:42am
Thank you, fellows! I had an apparent opportunity on some big fish, and I knew my old 30# mono leader wouldn't suffice for the small-King sized fish I was hoping for. Excellent suggestions, and I will use them. Too bad excess wind got in the way of my initial try at the bigger fish. Thank you Chuck and olsaltydog.
V/H Dog
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:47am
No problem, like I said I am learning this stuff myself.

I am just glad I am with a good group of guys willing to teach me and show me some things. If your a Veteran you should come on by the Healing Waters group.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic