FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 3rd Legislative Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May 3rd Legislative Update
    Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:42pm

I'll give it to Jerry, he does a good job with his weekly legislative update-

This is important- 

On Tuesday afternoon in the House Environment Committee in discussions of an environmental bill, an amendment was offered by Rep. Jimmy Dixon and Pat McElraft that provides oversight on fisheries issues by the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic Resources. NCFA has been attempting to get back to the Joint Legislative Commission on Seafood & Aquaculture which was disbanded in 2011, but that effort won’t get any traction. What this measure does is provide legislative oversight to marine fisheries issues. NCFA agrees with this measure and thanks Representatives Dixon and McElraft for bringing it forward. The bill itself is H-479 and passed the House and sent to the Senate.

AN ACT TO REQUIRE THE ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW COMMISSION TO STUDY 
 MATTERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DECOMMISSIONING OF UTILITY-SCALE 
 SOLAR PROJECTS, THE SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL TAX, THE PROCESS FOR 
 DEVELOPMENT AND ADOPTION OF GENERAL PERMITS FOR ANIMAL WASTE 
 MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS, AND WAYS TO OPTIMIZE AND MODERNIZE NORTH 
 CAROLINA'S RECYCLING REQUIREMENTS FOR DISCARDED COMPUTER 
 EQUIPMENT AND TELEVISIONS; AND TO MODIFY THE SCOPE OF THE JOINT 
 LEGISLATIVE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL 
 AND ECONOMIC RESOURCES TO SPECIFICALLY INCLUDE OVERSIGHT OF 
 MARINE FISHERIES. 

SECTION 4.(a)  G.S. 120-311 reads as rewritten: 
 "§ 120-311.  Purpose and powers of Committee. 
 (a) The Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic 
 Resources shall examine on a continuing basis the services provided by the departments and 
 agencies set out in this subsection in order to make ongoing recommendations to the General 
 Assembly on ways to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of State government 
 services. The Committee has the following powers and duties: 

(10) Exercise legislative oversight over the management of marine fisheries in the 
 State by: monitoring and evaluating the programs, policies, and actions of the 
 Marine Fisheries Commission and the Division of Marine Fisheries of the 
 Department of Environmental Quality; reviewing and evaluating existing and 
 proposed statutes and rules affecting the management of marine fisheries; 
 monitoring changes in federal law and court decisions affecting the 
 management of marine fisheries; monitoring and evaluating marine fisheries 
 related industries in the State and studying measures to promote these 
 industries; and studying any other matters related to the management of 
 marine fisheries in the State that the Commission considers necessary to fulfill 
 its mandate. 

(b) The Committee may make reports to the General Assembly. A report to the General 
 Assembly may contain legislation needed to implement a recommendation of the Committee." 

SECTION 4.(b)  G.S. 113-182.1(c1) reads as rewritten: 
 "(c1) The Department shall consult with the regional advisory committees established 
 pursuant to G.S. 143B-289.57(e) regarding the preparation of each Fishery Management Plan. 
 Before submission of a plan for review by the Joint Legislative Commission on Governmental 
 Operations, the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic 
 Resources and the Fiscal Research Division, the Department shall review any comment or 
 recommendation regarding the plan that a regional advisory committee submits to the 
 Department within the time limits established in the Schedule for the development and adoption of Fishery Management Plans established by G.S. 143B-289.52. Before the Commission adopts 
 a management measure to implement a plan, the Commission shall review any comment or
 recommendation regarding the management measure that a regional advisory committee submits to the Commission."

Here is who sits on THE JOINT LEGISLATIVE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL
 AND ECONOMIC RESOURCES-

Jerry's Update is below-

Legislative Update
Very, very busy week in Raleigh as the crossover deadline is May 9 th . That means if a bill does not make it through either the Senate or the House by that date, it’s dead for the session, unless the bill contains a money component.

It’s our understanding that House bills 483 and 486 were both discussed in the House Republican caucus on Tuesday afternoon. According to what we heard, there was no appetite for moving either bill forward. Since then, however, we hear rumblings that some want the caucus to reconsider one of the bills. Caucus meetings are behind closed doors and the deliberations are held rather tight, so all we can do is sit back and wait.

On Tuesday afternoon in the House Environment Committee in discussions of an environmental bill, an amendment was offered by Rep. Jimmy Dixon and Pat McElraft that provides oversight on fisheries issues by the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic Resources. NCFA has been attempting to get back to the Joint Legislative Commission on Seafood & Aquaculture which was disbanded in 2011, but that effort won’t get any traction. What this measure does is provide legislative oversight to marine fisheries issues. NCFA agrees with this measure and thanks Representatives Dixon and McElraft for bringing it forward. The bill itself is H-479 and passed the House and sent to the Senate.

On the Senate side, S-554 and S-648 were discussed in the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources on Wednesday. It was discussion only with Senator Norman Sanderson giving an excellent overview of the Fisheries Reform Act of 1997. Speaking in favor of the bill were Jerry Schill for NCFA, Joy Hicks of DEQ and Nancy Fish of DMF. David Sneed of CCA offered negative comments about the bill. On Thursday morning the Committee met again and passed both bills with no opposition. They now move to the Senate Rules Committee which will take them up next week if they are to meet the crossover deadline.

Also, on Tuesday evening, H-169, the bill to make the Loggerhead Sea Turtle the official state reptile, was approved by the House and now goes to the Senate. Representative Larry Yarborough, who just cannot resist making negative comments about anything involving nets, made some out of line and inaccurate comments on the House floor. We have the transcript of his comments and will provide them upon request.

Jerry

H-169 , the bill to make the Loggerhead Sea Turtle the state reptile passed the House and sent to the Senate.

H-483: LET THEM SPAWN
Voted favorably 11-3 in Wildlife Resources on April 16; now in Rules.
Would require minimum size limits on all species to ensure 75% of juvenile fish of each species have an opportunity to reach maturity and spawn at least once. We understand it was discussed in Republican caucus but unsure of status.
NCFA OPPOSES H-483

H-486 COMMERCIAL FISHING LICENSE REFORMS
Voted favorably 6-4 in Wildlife Resources on April 16; now in Finance.
This is similar to a bill filed last year, but it died in committee. This bill would eliminate the RCGL or recreational commercial gear license, would only allow one standard commercial license per person with person including corporation; doubles the license fees. We understand it was discussed in Republican caucus but unsure of status.
NCFA OPPOSES H-486

S-517: PROTECT THE MILITARY/FISHERIES/TOURISM; by Senator Peterson
No action this week. In the Senate Rules Committee.
Would prohibit offshore drilling. Same as H-545 below.

S-554: MARINE FISHERIES REFORMS; by Senators Sanderson, Brown, Tillman and Steinburg
Discussed this week in the Senate Ag Committee and passed. Now in Rules.
This is a bill that began as a meeting of several stakeholder groups, including NCFA, with DEQ/DMF. In NCFA’s opinion, the bill as introduced needs to be modified.
Very similar to H-860 introduced this week and explained below.

S-648: SUPPORT SHELLFISH AQUACULTURE; by Senators Sanderson, Rabon and Steinburg
Discussed this week in the Senate Ag Committee and passed. Now in Rules.
This is a result of many meetings with a variety of stakeholders. Similar to H-809.

H-545: PROTECT THE MILITARY/FISHERIES/TOURISM; by Rep. Harrison, Martin, Russell and others
No action this week: In the House Rules Committee. Same as S-517 above.
H-598: BOTTLENOSE DOLPHIN AS STATE MARINE MAMMAL by Reps Hanig, Grange and others.
Passed the House and sent to the Senate. In the Senate Rules Committee.
H-597: WILDLIFE RESOURCES COMMISSION AMENDS; sponsored by Adams, Henson, Wray, Yarborough and others.
Substantially raises license fees and makes changes in proclamation authority.
Passed the House Wildlife Resources Committee; now in Finance.

H-809: SUPPORT SHELLFISH AQUACULTURE; McElraft, Yarborough, Shepard, Harrison and others.
Similar to S-648 mentioned above. In House Environment Committee.

H-810: MARINE FISHERIES REFORMS; Yarborough
Similar in name to S-554 and H-860 but NOT the same in content!
In House Rules Committee.
NCFA opposes H-810.

H-860: MARINE FISHERIES REFORMS: Cleveland, McElraft, Butler
Similar to S-554 but modified to include changes requested by NCFA.
In House Rules Committee.

H-479: ERC STUDIES/SCOPE: Dixon
Provides legislative oversight of marine fisheries issues by the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Agriculture and Natural and Economic Resources.
Passed the House and sent to the Senate.

Edited by Rick - 03 May 2019 at 1:15pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:03pm
This passed the house 90-23, and Billy Richardson even voted yes.

NCFA supports it so I'm assuming it will hurt the fish population.

I really don't understand the implications of this one.  It almost sounds like it could be good if we ever get some friendly legislators.  But the current rethuglicans that control this state will definitely micromanage to ensure more money for commercial fishing.

Short term --- really bad?   Long term --- maybe (doubtful) good?

May not matter anyhow.  We are one serious event, like a new fish pathogen, away from completely empty sounds.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:26am
The name of that pathogen is Homo sapiens
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:13am
Okay! That flounderth fourteen incheth! We can harvetht her because she thpawned oneth! Jerry as Donald Duck, so to speak. Or, HaAAY LAYDEEE, don't release that flounder! Sheeth fourteen incheth , tho' sheeth thspawned before! LAAAYDEE! NOOO!! Jerry as Jerry Lewis. What ncfa sounds like at the pier.

Edited by cnaff - 04 May 2019 at 7:19am
V/H Dog
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:07am
I'm preparing my EI house which i've had for 25 years for sale along with my boat and tackle. it is not gonna change in my lifetime. These are not the waters i grew up fishing. They are practically barren inshore Who would have ever thought that commercial fishermen who depend on the water to live would be intent on killing everything in it. Who would have thought our elected officials would let this happen? Not i. But here we are. i'm gonna do my part for conservation-i quit. i plan to take some of the money from my sale and post billboards warning tourists who want to fish to go to Va. or SC because we have no fish with pictures of tons of bycatch and a handful of shrimp. We've been legislating and begging for years and we are merely discounted and the butt of commercial jokes. Time to take the gloves off.      
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 2:10pm
kshivar, didn't you intimate to us recently that you had won a spot on an AC? I utterly relate to your disillusionment with our system as driven by the state, the commercial lobby, and it's slack jawed coastal voters that parrot and vote the shibboleths of fish house philosophy. I do see a number of coastal young people who value a quality coastal experience and environment, and they will privately express dismay at how successful the comms have been at gleaning the best and leaving very little for the lover of viable finfish populations that they remember existed long ago. These young people have effectively been silenced by that great coastal pall which hangs over the estuarine mind warp, and won't engage the beast itself, because it whines and comes into the debate with the hubris of long established hegemony buttressed with official conflict of interest and the buzz saw of threats of vandalism and angry people, men with clenched fists and women who cannot think beyond their own self interest, their insouciance toward the resource carried as a talisman for the downtrodden whom they claim to be. But one day, the situation will become easily perceived for its paucity of logic, and the blame spewed at those who would save just a smidgen of the original grandeur will have dwindling spewers to spew the hate for them, the resource friendly, because there can't be much money in a zero sum game to buy those damnable Christmas presents and by that time, hanging drywall will seem a pretty good resort to the majority of the people who hang their hat on an inexhaustible biomass. Perhaps those young ones will form a part of the possible turnaround, along with whatever inlanders who can pay attention to the coast and its wonders, and may we see the thing begin to turn. My hope is that before we die, we will see a bit of that turnaround, and prove ol' Kenny Rogers' gambler wrong, because a renewed estuarine paradigm is even better than to die in one's sleep.
V/H Dog
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Intimate, no. I am on the Northern AC and my refusal to pursue fish no longer there will not deter me from my work. No I am not done working for reform. And I still believe billboards similar to what I have proposed is a good idea. One of the problems is that we always bring a stick to a gunfight. No one is willing to do what it takes. I can put up billboards but alone I can’t really effect any change.

Edited by kshivar - 07 May 2019 at 9:15am
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:03am
Good on you ,Sir! I believe that the only hope we have is that citizens who live across the state will become active and informed about our coastal resource abuses.
V/H Dog
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by cnaff cnaff wrote:

Good on you ,Sir! I believe that the only hope we have is that citizens who live across the state will become active and informed about our coastal resource abuses.
Thank you C. Everyone wants to butch and whine but no one wants to get dirty. Can’t win that way.

Edited by kshivar - 07 May 2019 at 11:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic