FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flooding in NC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flooding in NC
    Posted: 30 April 2019 at 6:42am
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2019 at 9:02am
The "concept" of the "article" mishmashes the idea of global warming with racial disparity and flooding over recent years, while citing a university study which tracks recurrent flooding. "Warming" is heading to a sunspot minimum period beginning currently, previous versions of which have lasted on average 11 years, with the Maunder Minimum lasting 70 years for a mini ice age back in the 1600s into the 1700s. Racial disparity was being brought on with fervor in the new world by the slavers in the human chattel market here in the states as a matter of policy, which has its effects today dogging the drinking water supplies in interior sections, ensured by government and corporate policy still today. Development of flood plains and beaches has ensured flooding there all along the timeline, but specifically exacerbates the flooding in these later years. That "think piece" ties em all together neatly, without a bit of cogent analysis to make the point in any way logical or believable and without a scientific, rational basis. Flooding, bad. Racism, bad. Development, bad. Three reasonable conclusions linked by gobbledegook in hopes that the reader will "believe", I suppose, in some overall linking "philosophy" that informs how we regard the political manifestations of climate! Purely the hope of city types who think when we all come around, the party will be fully in control. Blecch!
V/H Dog
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2019 at 11:04am
Is your comment based on the summary news article, or did you spend the 2 hours in between Chris' post and your reply studying the 22 page report, and all its charts, graphs and tables?
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:30am
I just looked at the article, which is the item I commented on.
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:34am
Glacier, are you implying that the journalist composed an airtight case for the confluence of climate dynamics with inherent racism and flooding because she wishes us to fully understand these issues.? Or could her article be considered a coherent screed which points to a cohesive political philosophy, which in your mind, I must accept in order to be correct?
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:31am
Glacier. The report is a glossy soft peddling of diffused problems we face but certainly does not inform the reader of the stark nature of the problems we face. For christ's sake, they say there is no trend with regard to our political representation and whether they represent us, poke us with a stick or whatever! The report sure as hell doesn't lay out the concept of the article writer that we must wallow in guilt and link the various causes of the semi detailed problems to a single theory of why we are screwed in NC. The facts of racism, poor land use and resultant flooding are undeniable, but the glossy report and the article are not some sacred text from which one could cobble a unified, intelligent theory of how to fix NC. I personally am strongly concerned with the demise of our estuarine resource, as driven by a crooked state government and fish house nexus, which is damaging to both commercial interests and my recreational fishing. I don't see how the author of the article or the report give much to inform anyone in a cogent manner how to fix the specific problems we touch on this board, especially in that the report and the article give surprising short shrift to the resources we have been losing and lament here often. If my gimlet eye toward feeble, pantywaist type political, nonsensical constructions designed to inspire the readers of the rag in question is malodorous to you, then fine, but I defy you to indict my dismissal of its lack cohesion to our quest as a loss of sight to real problems WE attempt to reconcile. In fact, the kind of message the report and the article purvey is entirely insufficient to address and understand the problems THEY are bringing forward. It's not a piece that tries to bring the source of these problems front and center, which to my thinking is the damnable crooked government manipulation of resources for the gain of the anointed few. I am not in the group of the anointed few, but would like to see more political representation in the interest of the excremented upon many, at the hands of the few. What is your beef with that? How do you align with the report and the article against me?
V/H Dog
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:25pm
I am not aligned, and you are not being maligned, it was a simple question. As someone who has had a business on Franklin St for over 35 years, I have been exposed to, and misquoted by, enough UNC journalism students roaming the street , looking for assignments, to realize that they don't under stand the basic differences between journalism and creative writing, and many never will.  The only thing I expect from a reporter is the exposure, not the facts, nor the history. Sort of like Jack Nickolas' expectations of his caddy, as compared to today's complex relationships. "Show up, shut up, and keep up!"  On a personal level, I have a condition in my left eye, which makes reading difficult, sort of like looking through a pair of binoculars which have been dropped on the pavement too many times, and the two optics no longer quite align, but are blurred and wavy.  Your writing style makes it particularly difficult, as I cannot anticipate the end of a thought(paragraph), and the original question was to discern whether you were critiquing the reporter, which I have no interest in, or the underlying  paper, in which case, I might make the considerable effort.
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:50am
Thank you Glacier. I would criticize both vehicles which waste our time . The one for its insipid conflation of problems dubious to our intellectual and political trajectory, and the other for its subterfuge of being an honest appraisal of conditions here in NC. They both miss the marks they supposedly set, by a long shot. Chiefly I believe them both to be mostly mealy claptrap, because one attempts to misdirect the reader, and the other leaves wanting my wish to see actual causes of the problems we face ATTACKED by an informed citizenry, and the report neither lands punches, nor attempts to indict our native corruption as it stands. Thanks for your equanimity. I have attacked the report, as well. I don't discern the value of the report in reforming our estuarine, political problem. Hit me hard.
V/H Dog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic