FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Cobia Proclamation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 Cobia Proclamation
    Posted: 09 April 2019 at 11:25am

This proclamation supersedes proclamation FF-57-2018 dated December 20, 2018. This proclamation opens the recreational cobia fishery and maintains the season for the commercial cobia fishery. The recreational season will remain open through December 31, 2019.

Stephen W. Murphey, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M., Wednesday, May 1, 2019, the following restrictions will apply to the cobia fishery in Coastal Fishing Waters:

I.    SUSPENSION OF N.C. MARINE FISHERIES COMMISSION RULE 15A NCAC 03M .0516

N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03M. 0516 that reads as follows is suspended in its entirety:

A.    It is unlawful to possess cobia less than 33 inches fork length.

B.    It is unlawful to possess more than two (2) cobia per person per day.

II.    RECREATIONAL SEASON, HARVEST, VESSEL, AND SIZE LIMIT

A.    RECREATIONAL SIZE LIMIT, POSSESSION LIMIT, AND SEASON

1.    It is unlawful to possess for a recreational purpose cobia less than 36 inches fork length.

2.    It is unlawful to possess for a recreational purpose more than one (1) cobia per person per day (See section II. B and II. C for season and vessel limits).

3.    The season for the recreational harvest of cobia will be May 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019.

B.    PRIVATE VESSEL LIMITS for Recreational Purpose (All vessels not engaged in a For-Hire Vessel operation)

1.    From May 1 – May 31, it is unlawful to possess more than two (2) cobia per vessel per day or one (1) cobia per person per day, if there is only one person on board.

2.    From June 1 – December 31, it is unlawful to possess more than one (1) cobia per vessel per day.

C.    FOR-HIRE VESSEL (While engaged in a For-Hire Vessel operation as defined by G.S 113-174)

1.    From May 1 – December 31, it is unlawful to possess more than four (4) cobia per vessel per day or one (1) cobia per person per day, if fewer than four (4) people are on board.

III.    COMMERCIAL SIZE AND HARVEST LIMIT

A.    It is unlawful to possess cobia less than 33 inches fork length in a commercial operation.

B.    It is unlawful to possess more than two (2) cobia per person per day or six (6) per vessel per day, whichever is more restrictive in a commercial operation.

C.    It is unlawful to possess a commercial and recreational limit of cobia on the same vessel.

IV.    GENERAL INFORMATION

A.    This proclamation is issued under the authority of N.C. G.S. 113-170.4; 113-170.5; 113-182; 113-221.1; 143B-289.52 and N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rules 15A NCAC 03H .0103, and 03M .0512.

B.    It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the Fisheries Director under his delegated authority pursuant to N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03H .0103.

C.    Fishermen are encouraged to return all cobia not meeting harvest requirements to the water in a manner that ensures that highest likelihood of survival.

D.    The intent of this proclamation is to manage the commercial and recreational fishery for cobia in Coastal Fishing Waters consistent with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission’s Interstate Cobia Fishery Management Plan.

E.    Contact the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, NC 28557; 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632 for more information or visit the division website at www.ncmarinefisheries.net.

F.    In accordance with N.C.G.S. 113-221.1(c) all persons who may be affected by proclamations issued by the Fisheries Director are under a duty to keep themselves informed of current proclamations.

G.   This proclamation supersedes proclamation FF-57-2018 dated December 20, 2018. This proclamation opens the recreational fishery and maintains the season for the commercial fishery. The recreational season will remain open through December 31, 2019.

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:49pm
Let's say that you fish with a guide, and you each land one cobia. At the end of the day, you give the guide a nice tip, and he gives you his cobia. At that point, are you not in violation of the one fish per person/per day limit? All limits are for how many you can possess, not how many you can catch. 
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:58pm
The question remains whether a charter should be allowed to have the rec limit of the captain and or mate. The way it is, the recreational fisherman sees his creel double simply because he chartered. Is that concept what anyone thinks it should be? That doesn't seem fair to the individual who fishes from his own boat, that of a friend, or sits on a pier. Considering the MFC can set creel limits I would hope they consider prohibiting a charter from keeping anything beyond their individual rec limit.

Edited by Ray Brown - 09 April 2019 at 9:59pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 10:33pm
Ray on this topic as it relates to cobia your missing the true injustice and it started at the federal level.

The bag limit here is great example of how NC gets the short end of the stick bc of the amount of time/effort/money spent on surveying. Meanwhile other states in the management area don't have a fraction of what NC does. So, we have consistent catch history while other states don't, yielding low or in some cases NO catch in some years. The TC approves their proposals, they get the higher limits even with a fraction of the allocation. (Talking more south than north)

I hope the MFC doesn't try to do anything more restrictive, if anything it should use the above fact level it out at 3 or more and tell them to deal with it. The practical move is to change from ponds to number of fish and if I remember correctly, that would result in 3 and 3.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 10 April 2019 at 9:48am
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 10:32am
Forget the math for a moment, what condition is the stock in? That is the most important thing.
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 10:44am
Only 1 area is in bad shape and that's the DPS in Port Royal. I wouldn't take the position I have, if there was any evidence of issues with the stock along NC.

chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 11:34am
GBU
Perhaps I misunderstood you, but I thought you said the data were inadequate. If so how can you conclude the stock status?

Of course you have access to data which we may not.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 1:07pm
SEDAR28 was primarily used data from SC, SC head boat, SC log book were used as an index, spawning was weighted more towards lower end of 1-4 months. Removal of EFL also removed most data leaving SC holding almost all of the cards. This was accepted in review as it was thought to be the central area of the stock this would provide good insite. For multiple data based reasons none of the above was agreed to this go around. Genetic, tagging, even spawning behavior (SC studies showed around 1 month, while fish in the Bay and NC have clearly shown spawning lasts longer than in SC)

VA Cobia tagging, starting in 1995 has a 10% return with over 75% being recaptured right back in the Bay. Simply put, as argued from day one, SSB was set prior to VA-NY's joining the management group, SEDAR 28 due to poor data from VA even NC, and in record motive from the needs of SC, it was easy as catch increased in VA to show SSB went downward. New information supports a biomass that winters off Hatteras south and enters the Bay outside of the NC fishery this was not considered in SEDAR28.

I understand if positions want to remain based on SEDAR28.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 1:14pm
That said, there will likely be changes in VA next year if trending size of fish continues this year. It's not an abundance issue everyone agrees there is a lot more fish, chummers fishing their same honey hole are landing 4 to 5 times what they normally do. Remember va went to 1 fish pp in 2007 too.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 10 April 2019 at 1:15pm
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 3:07pm
GBU... This issue surely points to the need for log books from guides and charters. They would be very helpful to NC positions since some form of correlation to average rec landings can be extracted from those logs too.

Edited by Ray Brown - 10 April 2019 at 3:08pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 3:40pm
I've supported reporting for cobia for the rec user group bc MRIP isn't working and MRIP isn't changing for the better anytime soon. Worse case with reporting for cobia is your going to have dozens of truthful samples that will help guide management far better than what can be collected without it.

chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 7:01pm
Is it in the (short-term) interest of either user group to report their catches if it means that their season/bag limits/size limits?

For example, the commercial red drum bycatch cap.  The cap would more likely be exceeded and the season closed.  Repeated overages might result in reduction in the daily bycatch limit of 7 to a lesser amount. 

I just think its very difficult calibrate self reporting with any degree of precision/accuracy.  It might be easier to get more data points, but the accuracy of data points may be highly questionable.  Where this gets very, very dangerous, is when statisticians see lots of data points (n), their computer programs spit out high degrees of certainty.  But the fact is, xhit in, xhit out. 

Sure there are places there are holes in the data, but lets not fill them with xhit. 

Edited by chriselk - 10 April 2019 at 7:06pm
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 10:20pm
I think using a system for quota monitoring that wasn't designed for quota monitoring, doesn't do well (nicest I could say it) with low intercepted spieces, and if recent history gives insight into future events, then anything is better than MRIP short term and long term. And ya can't verify MRIP either.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 10 April 2019 at 10:21pm
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2019 at 5:57pm
Nobody thinks a quota system designed for commercial fishing is appropriate for most recreational fishing.  The Federal system was designed to prevent commercial overfishing and it does a damn good job.   Compare the stock status of Federally managed species with those managed by NC, or ASMFC.

Cobia is the poster child for the failure of using this commercial strategy in federal managed fisheries and applying it to rec fisheries.  Cobia is a pulse fishery for SA states, so its impossible to measure waves and monitor quotas.

But turning data acquisition over to the fishermen is akin to allowing the fox to guard the henhouse, something recs have condemned comms for, including myself.

We will figure this out, when we get some valid data.  But if the data is weak, lets error on the side of conservation.  Such as was done recently by the MFC in the Central Region Striped Bass supplement.  

cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 10:16am
I know the degraded riverine systems and runs of salmon and steelies on the west coast mute a bit of their attempts to conserve those fish, but the catch tag method seems as if it might be useful to monitor takes on our pulsing cobia. Are we arguing that any rec individual should kill more than 1 fish per day here, Bowed? How about fish per license per season? Is 3 fish per season per cobia angler enough? Is 5? I would gladly accept monitored catches on cobia if conservation was the goal, but allocation to maximal take is stupid if it fosters a biomass fight where the biomass is not always known. Are we facing as situation where comms are making overages? It would appear that a serious management agency could keep tabs on fish houses and marinas to estimate the high take days for both sectors and apply calculated catch factors on recs while counting up the trip tickets on comms, and make good guesses about where to close/open the fisheries for takes in season, thereby tailoring the catch not just coastwide, but maybe looking out for individual groups of fish, especially if the Chesapeake fish are discreet from our fish in N.C., which is something of a mind blower, but great data, if true. I really think that we need to watch these fish in light of how to maximize their populations first, then manage takes with that in mind, and moving away from the political pressure of either group to make it a resource grab. We have certainly seen how abuse of resident fish and in/out migratory fish like flounder are susceptible to our regime of treating them as spoils to be eked on and belatedly reacted to when depleted. I think the asmfc and the DMF are absolutely culpable for the diminution of the fish in their AOs. It makes sense for actual resource based biology and management to be visited in the cobia runs, where a steady, but moderate take is allowed each year, but not based on who is crying for more, but rather with the understanding of how variable the pulse fishery might be year to year, and how vulnerable it is with a heavy capitalization, when moderation would serve the population best, not maximal extraction. Ray is quite correct that the resource should be paramount, and the asmfc and DMF haven't come close to ever even appearing to hold those goals as being of any importance. I have as little sympathy for recs who can't enjoy releasing a sport caught fish as I have for comms who claim the right to collapse a fishery because of heritage. It would be possible to ensure decent management for cobia at this point in time. That won't be accomplished if it's controlled by an allocation battle among conflicting interests.
V/H Dog
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 10:53am
We did go with cation by lowering the daily bag and setting a boat limit along with a 3inch increase that would allow an additional year of spawning. That was the right then to do, there was a clear purpose and need but not a darn thing had to do with SEDAR28.

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 11:01am
Cnaff the fishing methods for this fishery, pulse nature, and at 1 per person per day doesn't touch what could be maximum take. But required reductions should not be achieved the way they were with cobia.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 13 April 2019 at 1:51am
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 5:10pm
Thanks, Bowed. I still want to know why a license with possession tags would not work for what may be a reasonably health population, but one which is vulnerable to higher takes some years than others. Why wouldn't tags work for commercial take, as well? Striped bass are required to be tagged in order to market them, at least ocean takes. How does this fishery differ from west coast management of salmonids? I'm guessing cobia biomass is much less in pounds than many species that don't migrate as far and with such variability. You seem to say we should whack more of them, to keep up with commercial allotment. I don't necessarily disagree, but I would err to the conservationist position as Chris says up the page.
V/H Dog
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 6:09pm
I'm open for all management options given a supporting purpose and need.

The suggestions mentioned above about err on the side of caution sounds nice, I guess I'm just unable to look past what was learned when getting to the bottom of how we got to where we are. If we were waiting for more science (on a fisheries dependent species) I guess we will have to wait til a life history study is truly funded and runs it's course. Until then I'll continue to do whatever possible to gather needed data so sound management actions are taken in the future.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 13 April 2019 at 1:52am
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 6:06pm
Then, I would suggest nearly 100% of the data on all the species managed by the state have been one g-dd---n waste of time. I guess cobia will stand for now as a seeming discreet run, albeit of more than on body and stock, which to me, could pretty easily be squandered if the data does for us what it has for other species, where the resource was visited with depletion despite the fact we know where they were headed. Please excuse me, Bowed, but you seem to have some interest in the empaneled fishery management scheme. You also seem hugely guarded in saying you would represent whatI think most of us want here, which would be policy change across the board for fish conservation specifically and in general. The minutiae of cobia data might be relevant to the fact we rely on the asmfc to regulate cobia, which fists us quite reliably in the interests of someone other than Carolinians, but heck, our homegrown fisheries structure guarantees failure for the balance of fish our own rat bastards mismanage.
V/H Dog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic