FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CCA Efforts to help For Hire Guides

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CCA Efforts to help For Hire Guides
    Posted: 07 December 2018 at 12:48pm
I know that the CCA has been hard at work pushing for this help.

With a minimum of 10x the economic impact in coastal NC waters than commercial fishing, this needed to be part of the Governor's requests.

Hopefully the importance of the recreational fishing sector as one of the most important, if not the most important, driver of our coastal economy will be recognized with help provided to bridge the losses until next year.

The CCA themselves have been hit hard.  Many banquets are held in coastal areas in the fall, some have been canceled.  Discretionary funds are tight due to personal losses from Florence.  If you're in the position to make a donation, do so.  Those donations stay in NC to fight for fisheries reform. 

Release: Immediate

Date: Dec. 7, 2018

Phone: 252-726-7021

Authorities surveying fishermen, others about hurricane damages

MOREHEAD CITY – Fishermen, for-hire boat captains, and others associated with North Carolina’s marine fishery may get a phone call from federal or state authorities asking about impacts from Hurricane Florence.

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA-Fisheries) is working with the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries to evaluate fisheries damages from the storm. The survey is in response to Gov. Roy Cooper’s request that the U.S. Department of Commerce declare a federal fishery resources disaster for North Carolina’s recreational and commercial fisheries.

The determination of a federal fishery resources disaster could provide federal financial relief to the state’s fishing industry.

Surveyors will ask questions about damages to fishing gears and vessels and loss of fishing income. A statistical report based on the information gathered will be sent to the secretary of commerce. If the secretary of commerce declares a fishery disaster, the report will go to Congress, which will decide on financial assistance.

Edited by Rick - 07 December 2018 at 12:58pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 2:23pm
...and...I truly believe if we're going to win this battle in the next twenty years the only way to do it is money.  Pay-to-Play politics is alive and thriving once again in coastal fisheries management in NC.  

This year, 2018, it will take a couple of thousand of us to match what less than a handful of fish house barons are pressing into palms and black holes to buy Delay.

Our money can stay honest- pressing the facts face to face through lobbyists, policy advisors and concerned citizens.  We need to tell the legislature that FRA-97 isn't broken, it never worked- it was a shell game aided by smoke-n-mirrors "reform".  It needs complete revamping, with teeth, and unquestionable definition supporting sustainable fisheries.

I truly believe we can make a difference. 

Don't think for a second that collapsing fish stocks will be the answer to remove unsustainable effort allowing for a "cycle" of rebound.  It's not going to happen.
  • Part-timers selling for cash, off the books, operate under a non-typical business model.  
  • Shrimp are thriving as finfish stocks are depleted.  Trawling effort with unsustainable bycatch will increase.
  • DMF manages to keep people fishing at any cost- regulatory discards are swept under the rug and will be. Seasons and limits mean little when gear in still in the water killing.
Ask the buffalo how that "cycle" is going.

I put my money where my mouth is...please help all that you can.  

These are tax deductible donations.  

$25, $50, a $100 adds up quickly when enough people help.

Edited by Rick - 07 December 2018 at 3:00pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 2:30pm
CCA

NC Wildlife Federation

For the Wildlife Federation- make a "memorial gift" to the Sound Solutions Campaign...for our once thriving coastal resources have died...been killed.

Edited by Rick - 07 December 2018 at 2:30pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:15pm
I am a “Life” CCA member but can’t tell they’ve accomplished anything but whining. In fact there’s plenty of whining and no willingness to mix it up and get anything done. I’ll donate to anyone that might help but unwilling to throw good money after bad.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

I am a “Life” CCA member but can’t tell they’ve accomplished anything but whining. In fact there’s plenty of whining and no willingness to mix it up and get anything done. I’ll donate to anyone that might help but unwilling to throw good money after bad.

You're wrong about the CCA, at least today's CCA.  Note- I'm not even sure that I'm still a member.  I donate.  Memberships go to National-CCA.  Lifetime memberships do stay in NC.  Donations stay in NC.

If you don't like CCA.  Give to the NCWF.  They are going to need money to file a lawsuit once the petition process fails.  The process does have to play out.

You know...my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas.
  • I need to quit smoking cigars
  • I'm to tight to drink expensive whiskey and I like cheap beer
  • I like to buy my own steaks 
  • I catch my own seafood
  • My boat electronics are working just fine
  • Work keeps me too busy to take a hunting or fishing trip out-of-state or country
I have all the fishing rods that I need...and unopened lures in the box.  Given the state of our fisheries- why "throw good money after bad". Wink

I told her a wanted the opportunity to catch more fish!

So we made the donations above.  

Those donations are a lot like fishing.  I may land something or not.  But, if you don't try, and keep trying, I can promise you won't.

Edited by Rick - 07 December 2018 at 3:50pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:55pm
Nice rod racks Rick. You make em?

And thanks for supporting the resource, not just with funds, but with your hard work and voice.

I sent mine last month, to both.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Nice rod racks Rick. You make em?

And thanks for supporting the resource, not just with funds, but with your hard work and voice.

I sent mine last month, to both.

yep- too cheap to buy something when a little scrap wood is available and "custom" maximized the space in the closet.

Edited by Rick - 07 December 2018 at 4:11pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 4:25pm
I like both in principle and theory but they seem to accomplish nothing. I will support anything to get the ball rolling. I still believe a class action suit against DEQ and DMF for failure to enforce the law and rules.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 9:37pm
The foam cube vertical rod holders are a great way to store rods in minimal floor space
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 9:39pm
Sorry off topic
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:28am
Todo, where would I find such rod holders?
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2018 at 12:14pm
Sorry to further derail..........The Rod Steward foam blocks come in fresh and saltwater models, with different size holes.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ROD+STEWARD+ROD+HOLDERS&fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Edited by Glacierbaze - 08 December 2018 at 1:10pm
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2018 at 4:06pm
Was good to hear by time I forwarded this email yesterday two of the most impacted businesses I know of had already been called.

Get your paperwork together, losses from the storm, estimates, past accounting for the time period, the easier you make it the faster it may come. Some in Fl are just now starting to receive checks from last years storm.

BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 14 minutes ago at 11:46am
Thank you for your support, Rick, but back to your original point, yes, CCA NC has had numerous conversations with legislators and DEQ regarding the absence of hurricane assistance for the rec industry in anything the Legislature has doled out thus far. The Governor did take a proactive step by contacting the Commerce Department for federal assistance but there has been no discussion of hurricane assistance for the rec industry at the legislature. As I have mentioned before, the primary reason it is not on the radar of legislators is because they are not hearing an outcry from the industry for assistance. We are here to help facilitate any requests of the industry but we have not been contacted by anyone either.

We have just been making our friends in the legislature aware of the disparity in how hurricane assistance is only going to help the commercial fishing sector. What is interesting is that the presentation I saw from the NCFA on hurricane assistance focused on helping get the small, rural fish houses and oyster farmers that sustained extreme damage to physical facilities back in business, but the package passed by the GA only contained help for commercial fishermen based on landings.
A rising tide lifts all boats...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic