FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MFC Meeting Briefing Book- Nov. 14-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFC Meeting Briefing Book- Nov. 14-16
    Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:13pm
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:29pm
"Swearing in of New Commissioners"? Should be interesting...
A rising tide lifts all boats...
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 11:41am
Wonder who was interested in moving NC forward.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 12:09pm
Yesterday- I received the email below.

Last night I read the complete briefing book.

Did I fall asleep while reading it?  

Somehow I missed the detailed presentation on "staff" recommendations for the CSMA.

Seriously...was it in there and I scrolled past it?

...or is this another example of the public and Commission being treated like mushrooms...deja vu the MFC meeting where the Division delayed the briefing book to hide the "private meeting" (public meeting notice violation) decisions on the Commercial Fishing Resource Fund Committee.

Please don't tell me the Division met behind closed doors to form a CSMA action plan and then purposefully kept that action plan from the public in order to control "public comment" to the Commission.  Did they also keep the Commission in the dark?

What is this taste that I have in my mouth?  It ain't mushrooms!  

Oh where oh where did that promise of a new day in fisheries management go?  Right out the window with Transparency in tow. 

Roy Cooper, Governor

Michael S. Regan, Secretary 

Release: Immediate

Date: Nov. 7, 2018

Phone: 252-726-7021; 919-707-8604

MEDIA ADVISORY: Marine Fisheries Commission to meet Nov. 14-16 in Kitty Hawk

MOREHEAD CITY – The North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission will meet Nov. 14-16 at the Hilton Garden Inn, 5353 N. Virginia Dare Trail, Kitty Hawk.

A public comment period will be held at 6 p.m. Nov. 14. The business sessions of the meeting will begin at 9 a.m. Nov. 15 and 9 a.m. Nov. 16.

During the public comment period, members of the public may speak to the commission on any fisheries-related topic. The chairman will allow each speaker to comment for three minutes. More time may be allotted, at the chairman’s discretion, depending on the number who sign up to speak.

The deadline for submitting written comments to the commission, including email, through the Marine Fisheries Commission Office, is noon Nov. 9. Those who wish to forego this process and give handouts to the commission during the public comment period should bring at least 12 copies of the handout.

The public may listen to the meeting on the Internet. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come, first-served basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be found here. Following the meeting, an audio recording will be posted online.

The commission is scheduled to:

• Vote on a slate of nominees for the obligatory season on the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council
  • Receive a presentation on and possibly approve management measures for striped bass in the central and southern waters of the state
  • Provide input to the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council on commercial summer flounder quota reallocations, permit requalification criteria, and modifications to the fishery management plan goals and objectives
  • Readopted 41 existing rules in 15A NCAC 03I, 03J, 03K, 03L, 03M, 03O, and 03R under a state-mandated periodic review schedule
  • Receive an update on the Southeast Regional Southern Flounder Stock Assessment

A meeting agenda and briefing book materials will be posted here as soon as materials are available.

For more information, contact Nancy Fish in the Marine Fisheries Commission office at 252-808-8021 or Nancy.Fish@ncdenr.gov.

WHO:

N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission

WHAT:

Quarterly Business Meeting

WHEN:

Nov. 14 at 6 p.m.; Nov. 15 at 9 a.m.; Nov. 16 at 9:00 a.m.

WHERE:

Hilton Garden Inn
5353 N. Virginia Dare Trail
Kitty Hawk

Link to Live Stream:

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online

Link to Briefing Book:

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/11-2018-briefing-book 

Edited by Rick - 08 November 2018 at 1:20pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 4:56pm
You don’t think they would intentionally leave it out, do you?

See if this sounds familiar: swear in two new commissioners at the last minute then announce that no vote on CSMA should take place because the new commissioners have not had time to be brought up to speed on the issue. Deja vue all over again.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by BrackishWater BrackishWater wrote:

See if this sounds familiar: swear in two new commissioners at the last minute then announce that no vote on CSMA should take place because the new commissioners have not had time to be brought up to speed on the issue. Deja vue all over again.

If there are five votes from the existing commissioners, your argument is irrelevant.  It would pass whether the new commissioners are/were brought up to speed or not.

Which begs the question.  Shouldn't we be appointing Commissioners who are already up to speed, ie. qualified?  Shouldn't commercial, recreational and science seats appointees be knowledgeable and have some experience in marine fisheries?  They do not have time to "get up to speed".  For at large seats who represent the public interest, I can see appointing less knowledgeable or experienced individuals.  Regardless, the one universal requirement should be that commissioners put the resource first.  Just my two cents and I am sure others have their own opinion.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Originally posted by BrackishWater BrackishWater wrote:

If there are five votes from the existing commissioners, your argument is irrelevant.  It would pass whether the new commissioners are/were brought up to speed or not.

Which begs the question.  Shouldn't we be appointing Commissioners who are already up to speed, ie. qualified?  Shouldn't commercial, recreational and science seats appointees be knowledgeable and have some experience in marine fisheries?  They do not have time to "get up to speed".  For at large seats who represent the public interest, I can see appointing less knowledgeable or experienced individuals.  Regardless, the one universal requirement should be that commissioners put the resource first.  Just my two cents and I am sure others have their own opinion.

Chris, I agree it would be helpful to have some level of knowledge or past involvement in fisheries management, but there is a lot to learn in each fishery (as you may have noticed I have 7 questions following me around, and researching all in depth so the lashings are at a minimum is a bit time consuming).

On the "resource first", what exactly would/does that mean when it comes to decision making as a commissioner?
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 5:50pm
"Resource First" would mean putting the health and long-term conservation of the resources ahead of personal gain (recreational or commercial). 

con·ser·va·tion

NOUN
  1. prevention of wasteful use of a resource.

chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:47am
In response to Bowed UP:

Resource comes before any users or user group (sector, industry).

Users live and die, but the resource should be here indefinitely if fishing is sustainable.  That includes using non-destructive fishing methods, LID, and other environmentally favorable policies.

Edited by chriselk - 10 November 2018 at 10:48am
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 2:14pm
Bowed Up...

As to your question about how "resource first" is treated in NC. Unlike other states where it is the priority of their management, in NC it remains secondary to harvest.

We have never managed to avoid stock shortages, we manage to avoid cutting anyones income. Watch the striped bass issue this coming week. Gillnets are the largest known cause of juvenile striped bass in the CSMA, but they won't be addressed. They will raise size limits on stripers and leave gillnets alone because they provide a profit.

If protecting the stripers was the real objective then the cause of their unintended death would be addressed, but this is NC and no matter what harm gear does, the profits they provide to a few will be protected first. No other state adopts such a profit over resource management priority. In NC our elected leadership at any level cares not about the future of our marine resources.

And they wonder why fishing is a dying industry in NC. By not managing to protect resources first and foremost they guarantee declines in fish and fishermen.

Edited by Ray Brown - 10 November 2018 at 2:16pm
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:35pm
This guarantee produces tears and anguish they bring upon themselves by following the false gods of rapacious slaughter and lobbyists who play for the leading powers under the tilted table, ignoring and explaining away their troubles as emanating from CCA and any other excuse to prevent having to address the actuality of why it hurts, butt hurt deep down, which is because their industry is run by an entrenched and avaricious bunch of millionaires who have readily finagled, long ago, the reins of power from those with no damn souls, the politicians,by paying them off and saying the people who want conservation are a bunch of job destroying resource theives that don't have any right to conservation of resources or even access to a process where conservation might be considered to save their own GD bacon, meaning the GD bacon of the first part, those small time commercial fishermen who support the damned process that brung them to the dance where they are wallowing in self f-ing pity. The minority of commercial fishermen who see the hollow vileness of this officially sanctioned mayhem are fools if they speak out too much, because they risk the thug regime's wrath, just as do the conservation minded who raise their heads high enough to attract the scythe of vandalism an property damage. I wonder how much value the sentient player would enjoy from an industry that was forced to cooperate with the other stakeholders and maybe leave in existence such trifles as croakers, grey trout and southern flounder among the several that seem much harder to find than when I was a few years younger?

Edited by cnaff - 10 November 2018 at 3:38pm
V/H Dog
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

Bowed Up...

As to your question about how "resource first" is treated in NC. Unlike other states where it is the priority of their management, in NC it remains secondary to harvest.

We have never managed to avoid stock shortages, we manage to avoid cutting anyones income. Watch the striped bass issue this coming week. Gillnets are the largest known cause of juvenile striped bass in the CSMA, but they won't be addressed. They will raise size limits on stripers and leave gillnets alone because they provide a profit.

If protecting the stripers was the real objective then the cause of their unintended death would be addressed, but this is NC and no matter what harm gear does, the profits they provide to a few will be protected first. No other state adopts such a profit over resource management priority. In NC our elected leadership at any level cares not about the future of our marine resources.

And they wonder why fishing is a dying industry in NC. By not managing to protect resources first and foremost they guarantee declines in fish and fishermen.

Ray sorry for delayed reply I hadn't seen your post. I do look forward to hearing the discussion on the Rock fish, as Rick pointed out on here, it would appear the report pointed the finger at the DD. But, unless they were to look/study other possible factor/s I don't see how they could justify naming other sources.

BW, Conservation in science

"...Conservation is generally held to include the management of human use of natural resources for current public benefit and sustainable social and economic utilization."

"Generally", clearly being a key word, then the debate of what's "sustainable".

Chris, thank you for the clarification and very honorable appraoch to management decisions. However, being in the industry I fear I fall into the few who may benefit from trying to balance resource, access, and all the economics. BUT I saw the ocean Rock fish and now only hear of rumors, and it's left a lasting impression.

Hope to see ya'll this week.

Edited by Get Bowed Up - 13 November 2018 at 1:01pm
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 9:17am
Well...we've seen an edit to the agenda with additional information added-

Reports and updates on recent Division of Marine Fisheries activities 
• Division of Marine Fisheries Quarterly Update 
 − Central Southern Striped Bass – Charlton Godwin (Presentation) Division recommendation to develop temporary management measures to supplement the Estuarine Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan with a no possession limit in the Central Southern Management Area to protect important year classes while the next plan amendment is being developed.  
o Vote to authorize staff to develop temporary management measures for consideration at the commission’s February 2019 meeting**

There are still no supporting documents within the Director's Report for the public to review.

What surprises will there be???

If history repeats itself...which it will until politics change...I'll predict several typical "new information" presentations from staff...

Recreational Catch- Based on new MRIP data will be pegged as the primary source of mortality in the CSMA, hence the need for a "moratorium". 

Commercial Catch- Based on "new" DMF analysis will show low gillnet fisheries discard mortality.  Staff will "show" that tie-downs, bank offsets and "reduced effort" have reduced non-directed gillnet mortality to levels "so low" that NO ACTION is needed to address cryptic gillnet mortality. 

Just my guess, but typical of the SOS we've seen in the past- just as we saw "new data" on the mixing of the Southern flounder stock used to kill the stock assessment and delay action.  The Division still prints the lie of "new data" when addressing current SF FMP efforts.  "New Data"...lol...mixing of stock was discussed in 1992.

Too Little. Too Late.  Too Bad.  SOS-Different Day.

• Kick the can down the road for as long as possible.
  • Use measures of retribution against recreational anglers as a divide and conquer strategy.
  • Protect commercial fishing interests at any and all cost.

Edited by Rick - 13 November 2018 at 12:37pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 3:42pm
As my mother use to say...better late than never-

...not much time ahead of the meeting.

Looking a clothes pin now so I can start reviewing the "facts"...already rolled up my pant legs.

TEMPORARY  MANAGEMENT  MEASURES TO REDUCE STRIPED BASS MORTALITY IN THE TAR-PAMLICO AND NEUSE RIVERS DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY

Edited by Rick - 14 November 2018 at 5:27pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic