FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing for Spanish from pier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rpotter View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing for Spanish from pier
    Posted: 06 September 2018 at 9:18pm
When fishing for Spanish from a pier I had trouble keeping the fish hooked up--either came off shortly after the strike or on the way up from the water to the pier. A couple that I did land looked like the hooks were about to come out. I was using Gotcha plugs, 10 lb test braid,medium light action rod, and a 4 ft fluorocarbon leader.

Does braid cause the hooks to tear out because it does not stretch?
Should I change out the treble hooks for a single J hook? If so, what size/style hook should I use?
Tried stingsilvers and hopkins but did not draw a strike on them, but there were not a large number of fish being caught that day by anyone, just one here and there. Does anyone have a "tried and true" technique for using stingsilvers/hopkins/crippled herring type lures for Spanish?

Thanks!
rpotter
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 8:22am
I don't love to fish Gotchas even though they are a pier fishermen favorite. I feel like the fish can get a lot of leverage on them because there isn't a split ring between the lure and the hook. 

My favorite lure to toss for spanish is a bomber slab spoon. Let it sink and they will usually smack it on the fall. Same concept with the lures you listed but I don't know how much they "flutter" when they fall. 

I don't think the braid causes the hooks to fall out. How big were the hooks on your gotcha? 
rpotter View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 4:56pm
Thanks for your reply. The gotcha trebles looked like they were #4. Maybe I should replace with #2's. I used #4 gold trebles on my deep diver yozuri plugs for trolling.
rpotter
rpotter View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 5:17pm
23 Mako,

What color bomber slab spoon do you find most effective? I have some similar spoons, but haven't used them much.
rpotter
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 9:08pm
I like the metallic blue color. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic