FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MHC/Beaufort Marshes and Creeks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MHC/Beaufort Marshes and Creeks
    Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:08pm
Caught a couple of these on my last trip.  Fishing was slow, but it was nice to see this size fish hanging around after the cold winter.  Both were males at about 24".

A strike netter showed up running the banks over the weekend in the same area.  There sure ain't any mullet around, so they have to be after trout and drum.  What a waste of what could be a World Class fishery...and I'll give you 100 to 1 odds that the netter is a part-timer with his landings not being reported on trip tickets.

I'll give you 10,000 to 1 odds that he's not worried about being checked by a marine patrol officer.

Edited by Rick - 11 July 2018 at 10:44am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:00pm
An intelligent administrator would put the reporting 'burden', and the penalties, on the relatively few dealers, instead of trying to keep up with a few thousand licensed fishermen.
We seem to know how many fishermen reported over X dollars on trip tickets, how many dealers reported buying more than $1000 of seafood in the last 5 years?
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:21am
Yep the netter was after trout and some Red “bycatch”. I see flounder netters targeting drum all the time. I never see them pull a flounder from the nets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic