FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meeting #7 coming up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting #7 coming up
    Posted: 30 June 2018 at 11:40am
I can't wait until tomorrow's announcement of the new MFC members. We are finally going to see some change!!  Now please excuse me while I go searching for a promised nickelWink

6 out of 16 MFC meetings have now passed for the current administration and nothing has changed so it's now time to #$%& or get off the pot.

Or do we need to wait until after the long session..................LOL
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 7:51pm
It could get much worse. If amendment passes in fall then legislature could make all the appointments. Everywhere.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 9:57pm
Tom... you are exactly right and most people only think it is about judges.
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 10:30pm
Lord Acton "power corrupts- absolute power corrupts absolutely"
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:03am
The appointments were due on the 1st and the next meeting is August 15.

So once again, we are waiting.............

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:26am
I wish Cooper would focus on this instead of trying to block things like the voter ID bill.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:46am
Cooper’s worried about not being re-elected if he makes the wrong appointment.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:28am
Cooper will make the appointments in plenty of time for the August meeting.

Who he will appoint remains a mystery as it should be I guess.   Until proven otherwise I still think he will build an MFC that if they choose to flex their muscle can fulfill his white paper.

If they are afraid to use their muscle because someone might object and Heaven forbid that the motion and second may not pass, or because their decision may cause a lawsuit by someone who doesn't want change, then the fault lies either in Cooper for making a weak appointment or in the MFC for the decision they collectively and individually failed to make.

The striper issue in the CMA has been known for several years and the MFC has never made an official motion to clean it up and yet somehow the blame has fallen elsewhere.   At least the MFC can take themselves out of the potential guilty if they officially try to correct things, but they haven't as of yet.
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:36am
I hereby volunteer to serve on MFC
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:56am
New mfc appointments were due 3 weeks ago. Meeting coming up.

Here we go again with another waste of time.

Last minute appointments can never be "brought up to speed in time " so meeting number 7 after the promise is looking like another bust.

And the dmf will cheer.

Same as it ever was.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 8:42pm
Tomorrow is August 1 and the meeting is almost here.

No MFC appointments.

Looks like the governor wants to make sure meeting 7 accomplishes the same as his first 6.

NOTHING!! 

23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 8:20am
"It's the same old song....but with a different meaning since you been gone"
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

Cooper will make the appointments in plenty of time for the August meeting.

Who he will appoint remains a mystery as it should be I guess.   Until proven otherwise I still think he will build an MFC that if they choose to flex their muscle can fulfill his white paper.

If they are afraid to use their muscle because someone might object and Heaven forbid that the motion and second may not pass, or because their decision may cause a lawsuit by someone who doesn't want change, then the fault lies either in Cooper for making a weak appointment or in the MFC for the decision they collectively and individually failed to make.

The striper issue in the CMA has been known for several years and the MFC has never made an official motion to clean it up and yet somehow the blame has fallen elsewhere.   At least the MFC can take themselves out of the potential guilty if they officially try to correct things, but they haven't as of yet.
What say you   Ray?

Edited by kshivar - 01 August 2018 at 9:31am
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 9:35am
To my knowledge, nothing has changed.

If he doesn't make them then his own actions will define him, not my words, nor yours.

More importantly, it is what the MFC does that can affect change more than the governor's next set of appointments.   If the MFC continues to sit on their hands then you could put Rick, me, Jerry Schill, and Andrew Berry on the MFC and if tradition followed we would just look at each other and ask politely what the DMF thinks we should do thus following their status quo position to keep DEQ and license funds flowing to them.   That is how all MFC's have acted to date since 1998.

Of course, I don't think Rick or Jerry would care what the DMF thought if they felt something else was the best thing to do for the resource or fishermen, but based on their own actions in the past we don't seem to get people on the MFC with that kind of backbone.   Be more than happy to be proven wrong on that.

Edited by Ray Brown - 01 August 2018 at 9:50am
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:58am
We have been told that the press release on the appointments will be out this afternoon. 

I agree with the others on this thread, it matters little who they are unless they have the courage to do what is right for the resource. I heard it directly from Director Murphey, the Commission has the power to effect change, just has never had the intestinal fortitude to do it.

We all know what needs to be done, we just need the leadership necessary to get it done.
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by BrackishWater BrackishWater wrote:

We have been told that the press release on the appointments will be out this afternoon. 

I agree with the others on this thread, it matters little who they are unless they have the courage to do what is right for the resource. I heard it directly from Director Murphey, the Commission has the power to effect change, just has never had the intestinal fortitude to do it.

We all know what needs to be done, we just need the leadership necessary to get it done.

Thumbs Up

Edited by Rick - 01 August 2018 at 12:03pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 3:23pm

Rob Bizzell-Rec.

Mike Blanton-Comm.

Tom Hendrickson- At Large
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 3:33pm
  • Rob Bizzell of Kinston as a Recreation Sports Fisherman & Chair. Bizzell is the Founder of Realo Discount Drug Stores, and the co-founder of Carolina Home Medical. Bizzell served as the President for the North Carolina Pharmaceutical Association and Chair of the Marine Fisheries Commission.
  • Mike Blanton of Elizabeth City as a Commercial Fisherman. Blanton fishes full-time in the Albemarle Sound. He currently serves at the proxy for the North Carolina Legislative Appointee to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.
  • Tom Hendrickson of Zebulon and Harkers Island as a member at-large. He is an attorney and businessman who works in real estate development, commercial real estate investment and management, including apartments in New Bern and affordable housing in Charlotte. He also serves on the Global Transpark Authority and was the Founding Chairman of North State Bank.

The only comments I'll make is that I understand Mr. Hendrickson assured the governor that he will back the white paper that candidate Roy Cooper ran on.   Rob Bizzell was the chair before and I think will be a bit more forceful on doing things for the resource this time around.  Mr. Blanton fishes a good part of the state since I cut my teeth on the Chowan and I hope he voluntarily resigns from the board of the NCFA to hold this post as CCA board members were asked to do when they served in times past.

Edited by Ray Brown - 01 August 2018 at 3:37pm
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 3:47pm

Well, call me half-empty but this appears to be loss for the resource.  But, what else is new?
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 3:57pm
Why would you say that without a single vote cast?
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 4:29pm
My congratulations go out to all three new commissioners, with plenty of thanks to the retiring for their willingness to serve.

These are contentious times in marine fisheries management...and hopefully it is going to get worse.  Change has a way of doing that and Lord do we need change. 

Why would anyone want the headaches, intimidation, threats and hatred directed at them?  Why would anyone want to waste their time serving without intentions of accomplishing something?  Anyone who choses to serve is either doing so purely from the heart or for personal gain.

With new leadership, I am confident this commission will no longer be sitting on it's hands supporting status quo.  The Governor removed a huge roadblock.

The motions and votes will quickly show who has vested economic interest in unsustainable harvest....hopefully as soon as the August meeting.

You have two years to form your opinion- 

Thumbs Up 

or

Thumbs Down

Vote your conscience in 2020.  I know that I will. 

There are 1-million plus coastal recreational anglers and conservationists concerned about NC's public trust waters.  Governor Cooper edged out Pat McCrory by 10,277 votes in 2016.  Did the Governor's Marine Fisheries Policy Paper give him an edge with at least 5,139 voters who were unhappy that McCrory was dragging his feet on addressing MFC appointments, inshore trawling, gillnets killing endangered species, etc...absolutely. 

Today, I am confident that the Governor has appointed commissioners that can bring opposing views to the table for constructive development of rules to sustainably manage our marine resource per the goals set forward in his Marine Fisheries Policy Paper.  

Marine Fisheries

MARINE FISHERIES POLICY PAPER

The Outdoors have been a vital part of Roy Cooper’s life as far back as he can remember. Having grown up in rural Nash County, he still holds the values he learned working and playing outside during his youth.  He remembers the lessons he learned working in the fields harvesting crops as much as he appreciates time spent with friends exploring the woods and watching fishermen on the famous piers that dotted the coast.  As someone whose father instilled in him a deep appreciation for the lands and waters of North Carolina, and the wildlife that lives in them, Roy Cooper understands the significance of these natural resources and the necessity for their responsible management.

A Cooper Administration will work to ensure that those vital outdoor experiences from earlier times remain available to our state’s future generations, including hunting and fishing. The sustainability and protection of North Carolina’s natural resources must be a priority.  North Carolina’s lands and waters must be responsibly used and managed so that all the state’s citizens will benefit.

Unfortunately, today our once abundant marine fisheries resources are no longer.  The fish, shrimp, oysters, and crabs in our sounds and estuaries that once defined our state are now declining or depleted. Between loss of habitat and overfishing of our fish stocks, North Carolina’s marine resources have dwindled. Our oyster population may have declined to 10% of its historic levels.  North Carolina’s flounder, and weakfish populations are depleted; spot and croaker are under significant stress.

Our marine fisheries resources are under threat from pollution straining the ecosystems those fish need to survive, and fishing in nursery areas and oyster reefs that limit our stock’s ability to grow. Overfishing in our nursery areas could threaten prized catches like red drum, speckled trout.  That status quo cannot continue without doing significant, and probably irreparable, damage to our marine economies.

As Governor, Roy Cooper will put in place agency managers and Marine Fisheries Commission members who will make decisions in accordance with the best scientific evidence available and conservative principles to enhance the resource.  The Fisheries Reform Act of 1997 will be 20 years old next year, and it needs to be modernized and updated to respond to the realities of our state’s resources and economic well being. If the current course, as set by Governor McCrory, is maintained; the availability of our natural resources for the use and enjoyment of future generations is in serious jeopardy.

North Carolina needs both a thriving recreational and commercial fishing industry.  Neither is thriving right now.  According to a recent Division of Marine Fisheries economic study, the value of the resource is estimated to generate over $2 billion a year.  The recreational industry has a total economic impact of $1.6 billion, and the commercial industry had an impact of at least $255 million.  We can have a “win-win outcome” however, if we protect the resource and ensure its sustainability into the future.  With increased viable and healthy stocks in state’s waters, this revenue would only stand to grow and provide opportunity to North Carolina’s families and businesses.  North Carolina should be able to have leadership in place where families, businesses, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, and tackle shops, are able to benefit from a healthy resource.

We continue to read about failures by the McCrory administration to protect North Carolina’s citizens from damage done to our natural resources, and our communities appear to be unable to rely on the current Governor to ensure we have safe drinking water.  Governor McCrory has clearly shown that the protection of our environment and the natural resources of our State is not a priority.  He has made clear, through his actions and appointments, that our valuable natural resources need not be protected for everyone’s benefit or for the use of our future generations. His actions and appointments have been a betrayal to North Carolinians who have always cared deeply about their clean water and air, fertile lands and forest.

As Governor, Cooper will change the direction of our natural resources policies to make the sustainability of our precious land, water, and air, and the ecosystems within them, a top priority.

Edited by Rick - 01 August 2018 at 6:10pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 4:43pm
It has all been a loss for the resource, up to now. The relevant question is for you, who urge equanimity and patience, time and polity. The question is, what do YOU think these people will do? Bizzell has at least participated here in a possibly resource friendly way, but with a heavy mixture of the "I know how this works....." thrust, which we could almost apply as a description for BWs participation here(without a resource friendly slant), but definitely the knowing nod of simpatico with the process. We sure won't put any pressure on Blanton to make his industry sustainable or compliant with rules and conservation, simply because we'd be excessively stupid to expect conservation from the industry that wants all fish to be bought in a fish house. That leaves Hendrickson, who is a pig in a poke, but has the possibility of being pro-resource, but might have an RCGL, which would quickly calm any hopes he's a resource guy, and might indicate he stands where the guys are who insist on supplying those damn church fish fries we read about on many a fishing report thread, including the freshwater boards where the fish fry guys prove that even in freshwater, you have the guys with an urge to pack more than their share, recreationally, I mean. You, Frank, are the process observer of note here on, and we want to hear the optimistic take, if for no other than the reason we'll want to recognize when we're really stuck, all over again, just like republicans who like to think their party is conservative, and democrats who think their party represents the little guy. Rick produces the lynchpin research that SHOULD well constitute the political dynamite this state's estuarine habitat needs to conceivably gain the protection it wants, but none of these appointees have that going for them, until, and unless they pick up the baton and pursue the dream. I don't remember Bizzell claiming fealty to Rick's methodology and body of work, but I assert now that if he or they won't or don't explicitly point to Rick's work and say that it speaks to them, both viscerally and in the political process sense, then they, and anybody else who knows the tragic trajectory of our fisheries and our devastated sense of pride for what we had and lost, yet can't embrace Rick's ongoing treatise on estuarine fraud and malfeasance, is a waste of our time in discussing their probable bent on the commission.
V/H Dog
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2018 at 5:58pm

Well said, cnaff!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic