FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Dollar FMP?...Lizzard Fish FMP next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Dollar FMP?...Lizzard Fish FMP next?
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:19am
I guess there is no end...

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:39am
That is what foragers do.

They look for things in the wild, and if it has value, or they can create a market for it, then they sell it.   

It doesn't matter what it is, what its place in the whole scheme of things may be, just does it have value and can I make a buck by bringing it home and selling it.

Also notice they are avoiding the question of "how are the shrimp?"
The word is that shrimp are scarce, and that long season last year in the ocean on the brood stock may have indeed taken its toll. That is in part why Georgia closed their season for a longer period of time as they have been concerned about overfishing shrimp for several years.

Edited by Ray Brown - 23 May 2018 at 9:44am
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:50am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:58am
Honestly, when can we expect lizard fish to start being served at local restaurants?
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:13pm
There is no end to the tragedy.  
A rising tide lifts all boats...
chasintrout View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:09pm
Ray. U seem like a smart man. Do you really believe all the sh*t that comes out your mouth? The last two years have been record years for shrimp in nc especially the falls crops of white shrimp. A lot of folks were able to shrimp all through the winter. Much like they do in states south of us and in the gulf. Year around! Why? Because of the mild winters proceeding the season. Easy question here. Why do u think the shrimp are scarce this year so far? Does it have anything to do with the record cold we saw this winter? Absolutely! That’s the same reason they closed South Carolina and Georgia waters. To protect any of the remaining crop of white shrimp that may have survived the cold. They clearly made that point public when they closed the waters. So no, Georgia is not being overfished. It’s just you and your buddies on here spinning the facts to meet your needs.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:01pm
So while Georgia and SC were putting shrimp off limits to protect brood stock from the cold, what was going on in NC?

What, or who, were we protecting as we left the season entirely open when it was colder in our waters than in SC.

Let us not succumb to the idea that shrimp can not be overfished any more than Buffalo could be over hunted or passenger pigeons that darkened the sky could dissappear.

Man is great at destroying, only to regret it later.

Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:19pm
No way shrimp can be overfished, I don’t believe it. No white shrimp were lost in nc because they migrate offshore and south in the fall and winter. Unlike South Carolina and Georgia where they are known to stay in the creeks through the winter to prepare to roe out in the spring. (This is per those states websites).
You know way less about the fisheries then you think you do. You just find a way to spin things and make up stories to feed your buddies on here. Important folks in Raleigh see through your BS.

Edited by chasintrout - 23 May 2018 at 10:19pm
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:56pm
You didn't answer my question. Who, or what were we protecting when we didn't close shrimp ING during cold weather?

Also, all those trawlers off NC during December claimed they were harvesting white shrimp. December is a bit late for "fall" isn't it? They were big, they were brood stock. We are, and will pay the consequences.

There was a reason Georgia closed their season and a reason they have shrimp now. They planned to conserve in order to harvest another day. They got what they planned for.

We planned to harvest until they weren't here. We got what we planned for too.

Edited by Ray Brown - 23 May 2018 at 11:20pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:43am
Ray you truly have no idea what you’re talking about. Definitely out of your league. White shrimp were caught into December. When it got cold here the water dropped so low that all the shrimp were gone. In Georgia, the water newt shore was really cold but sustainable for shrimp in ocean waters. Therefore they closed it. Not so in NC. It was too cold even out several miles for shrimp. Weather in nc plays a much larger impact then in other states due to us being further north. Federal waters is what was closed in sc and Georgia. They usually always close the state waters yearly during the winter until late spring. Why? Because heir weather is sustainable for shrimp to be caught year around. Much different then nc. U clearly don’t get it.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:43am
I know that shrimp return to the ocean when sexually mature so those shrimp caught in December in NC off our coast were brood stock. If we have a shorter season as you claim then not closing our season means we harvest all the brooders coming out of our estuaries until they are gone. You refuse to admit in one sense that we keep shrimping here until there are none left to catch and yet at the same time admit we shrimp until the last one has moved out.

We do very little in NC to protect the stock. We, unlike any other eastern state, allow trawling in the nursery of shrimp themselves.

Edited by Ray Brown - 24 May 2018 at 8:44am
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:51am
Water newt shore? Clearly, someone really knows what he's talking about, but it ain't easy. "If'n I had dem simp in mah headlights, I dain't cayah how cold it got Ida cawt um cause thay was sustainable=my good man, as, of course, we follow only the most stringent rules as stewards of the resource, meaning the nursery shrimp dragger are every bit the protectors of god's boon exclusive to our extraction only. Because you [(us, I guess)] don't know nuthin except when translatable to whut you don't know: tip: I, chasintrout have hipped you to it! Capisce? I meant Stewart's, of the resource, of course."Thanks for the update, ALL KNOWINGMENSCH, from those of us hopelessly caught up in Satan's net of lies. Thank you again.
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:29am
Chaisin….let's look at what the state of Georgia is saying from their Coastal Waters Division about their closure on January 24th of this year.  

WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:

•             The purpose of the closure is to protect the white shrimp spawning population. 

•             Georgia closed its state waters to all shrimping on January 15, 2018, due to a prolonged period of water temperatures at or below 9°C in the region.

•             Georgia requested NOAA Fisheries to close federal waters off Georgia.

They weren't "protecting the crop" as you said, they were protecting the "spawning population" or brooders as I call them.  It is obvious that you see the shrimp at that time of the year and see one thing and I see something else; I tend to see more like the state of Georgia does.

Secondly, the Feds did close the waters off of Georgia, but at who's request?

So who or what was NC protecting when we closed nothing to harvest during mild or cold weather?  Pamlico Sound never closes to trawling, it just pauses on the weekend so the crabs can clean up the casualties of the week.

You keep avoiding that question.

Edited by Ray Brown - 24 May 2018 at 11:31am
ONEARMEDBANDIT View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ONEARMEDBANDIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:22pm
Seems a few years back, (Before 2001), I remember a News Article here "Locally"..
Headline read something like this..
VarnumTown Shrimpers Harvest Winter (or) December Christmas Surprise
Pictured Leading into the Article was these HUGE White Shrimp..Almost as big as those  "Tiger Shrimp",,  HUGE Jumbos..

Of course word got out "quickly" and every Shrimper in New Hanover & Brunswick County was out, just South of the Cape Fear River Channel catching As much as possible, until "Bad Weather" forced them to stop about 2 weeks later..   Shrimpers called it a "Late Season "Christmas "Bonus"..

Following year.. Shrimping for "Whites" when the Season started, was not Only "Dismal", It was "non-existent... " NO-ONE caught hardly ANY At all..
Of course NCDMF jumped into the bandwagon,, Blaming "Low-Salinity", to NO-Rain, or too much rain, etc, etc etc..
Even "over-development" of Our coastal waterways.. To Sky-High Diesel Prices..
Of course NO ONE thought about that Previous year/ opps,,  I mean Winter Bonanza catch of those HUGE White shrimp caught as a  "Christmas Bonus" By about every Shrimper down this way.... No Siree..
No one gave THAT a second thought..
Took several years for the White Shrimp population(s) to recover..
While NCDMF kept harping, Low~High Salinity, too much Rain, too No-Rain, High Diesel prices etc etc 
I believed this happened around 1998 around those years.. +/-

I remember this well, not ONLY because of the News Article...
I was also a "commercial Shell fisherman" also..
We did have "some" rain, enough too close the Rivers to shell fishing".. (A good T-Storm is enough to close shell fishing down this way)..
Anyhoo.. To keep "some" income coming in I'd Go to the Shrimp house either de-heading or culling out Shrimp..
This was the Following year AFTER that "Winter Bonanza"..  Shrimpers were catching alright..
MILLIONS of baby blue crabs Roughly the size(s) between Quarters & 50 cent pieces..  Didn't dehead many Shrimp,, spent 90+ % of OUR time culling out blue crabs from What-ever the Shrimp boats brought in.. So BAD the crews didn't cull those baby crabs while "outside", took too long & there wasn't enough Shrimp to Justify  it, (for the crews)…
SO ChasinTrout, Edumacate Us again about "Winter White Shrimp" BROOD stock,, Will ya? Wink  

Edited by ONEARMEDBANDIT - 24 May 2018 at 5:39pm
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:50pm
Yeah, some of our white shrimp mud up. Seen them myself many times on a warm March day coming out of the mud and flopping to get into the water. Even picked some up to eat one day.
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:53pm
Also I am looking 3 captains for 3 different shrimp boats if anyone knows of anyone that is DRUG FREE has a strong work ethic. Must have own transportation and a place to live. Boats are docked in Beaufort. DRUGS of any kind will not be tolerated nor will drama of any kind. Must be willing to work, have a place to live with transportation and be drug free. Those requirements are mandatory.

Edited by Bread Man 1 - 24 May 2018 at 5:54pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:10pm
Ray I don’t know what other question u want answered. Nc doesn’t close because the weather is so cold he majority of shrimp don’t stay inshore. The “broods” ate offshore and some come to beach to spawn. Sc and Georgia typically have their shrimp stay relativity inshore all year. Nc draggers typically don’t work offshore of 3 miles. Not the same in sc and georgia
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:21pm
Ray I bet your one of those piping plover lovers too right?
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:45pm
I worked on the wrong end of a 75' wooden hull holden beach built carolina dragger during my younger days.

We shrimped nearshore of NC, SC, GA and FLA and we were always close to land. Definitely  not more than 3 miles..

EVER.

BW #2
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:07pm
We must be at the end of the debate as Chasin has resorted to the insults...
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by BrackishWater BrackishWater wrote:

We must be at the end of the debate as Chasin has resorted to the insults...

When one senses they’ve been caught making sh@t up, they continue to lie, then resort to insults and ad hominem attacks.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:02pm
What is not to like about about a
Piping Plover?

Take care of yourself Chaisin. I wish you well.

Edited by Ray Brown - 24 May 2018 at 8:03pm
ONEARMEDBANDIT View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ONEARMEDBANDIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 7:53pm
Piping Plover? you mean that other "white meat"? 
ChasinTrout  you never answered My response, I'd love to hear your,, err,, insults,  to what I seen & experienced..  
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:40pm
Since u know it all why aren’t u still part of the fishery? You don’t want the little shrimp being caught as noted in the trawl petition. And now you don’t want the jumbos caught. U just don’t want any trawling or gillnetting period.
I don’t believe the non sense that we in nc are ruining the following years stock by catching them on into the winter. Last year there were record numbers caught all the way up to the Virginia border all through winter. There was still white shrimp this past fall, and a good season at that. Nc is the northern end of the territory (except for the past couple of years due to the weather Virginia has had them too). Once the weather starts moving them out the sounds they get on the run. They don’t just hang out on our beaches. They are moving south and in a hurry. Granted some are caught but plenty ARE NOT!
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:17am
One other point....u can’t catch all the white shrimp up because they’re not on the bottom like a brown and pink shrimp. Plenty of the white shrimp are too high off the bottom to catch. Only a fraction gets caught!
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:57am
That must be disappointing knowing you will have trouble catching them all. Why do they have those little legs if they are swimming about instead of skittering about the bottom with the less evolved pinks and browns? Nature’s mystery I guess.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasintrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:50am
Kshivar...that shows how little you know. They swim way faster then they crawl!
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:54am
They all do. That’s why they have a large tail. I swim faster than I crawl too. Go to Seven Springs. See Elvis.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic