FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Don't think we don't know what is going on...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't think we don't know what is going on...
    Posted: 10 April 2018 at 12:16pm
Easter Monday night I started getting texts and emails including photos that for a while were on Facebook making them immediately part of the public domain.

The images were coming out of Bertie County. Images of people cutting river herring and images where the photographer and others state that those within the photo state that the herring were caught in the Chowan River and as you can see are being prepared for grease.

Possession of river herring from NC waters is against the law. There are no exceptions. The image was taken on Easter Monday along the Chowan river at a place called Sheep's Landing. Law enforcement was given this image after the fact and the other photo, and they knew a day or two ahead of this that this was going to happen, but didn't know where. The whole point of posting this is to let a few people know that in spite of their sanctimonious position of others not following the law, we know who is really abusing our resource and then laughing about it in the end.

What is interesting here is who is in this photo as well as another one that I am not going to show right now. The other one shows a man at a table adjoining this one, and while you can certainly identify who the individual is and the herring roe in the plastic container the fact that his child is in this photo is interesting enough.

BTW....the individual in the other image, whose child is in this image, is a member of the Board of Directors of the NCFA, who are so interested in not breaking even the spirit of the law, that they will file a lawsuit against the state costing the tax payer money at every filing just to prove a point.

Bertie County is full of folks who aren't happy when one of their own apparently breaks the law and then flaunts it. And finally, they are beginning to speak out and send out what they know.

See the first photo below.

Edited by Ray Brown - 10 April 2018 at 10:01pm
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 2:13pm
If it is who I think it is, I've heard them say there is more herring than there has ever been while at the same time there are no herring or crabs because the striped bass have eaten them.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 2:26pm

You aren't implying that some will say whatever needs to be said at the moment, and then call the latest utterance, "fact", are you?

I'm waiting to hear if law enforcement found anything at all on this. Of course, they were lead right to the trash cans in the photo where the fish bones were deposited.

Was this who you were thinking about?

See the second photo below.

Edited by Ray Brown - 10 April 2018 at 10:02pm
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 5:03pm
I am sure he gave proper prayer.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 8:42pm
I guess you know that the links you are posting are not to individual photos, but to albums with a lot of children's photographs, family photos, etc.  Perhaps your own grandchildren, if you are "ray 482".
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:03pm
I am aware, but thanks for making sure I knew. To isolate these two would require isolating too many others.   

Edited by Ray Brown - 10 April 2018 at 9:11pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:16pm

Edited by Glacierbaze - 10 April 2018 at 10:00pm

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:24pm

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:28pm
Right click the image in your album, take a screenshot in the drop down menu, crop, save, copy image, and paste in reply.  Ten seconds. You're welcome

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 10:02pm
Thanks... I unlinked.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 10:06pm
I guess that was what caused the two photos above to disappear. I was trying to repost them, and could not, and was thinking someone had too much power.
Sorry for the confusion. If you want to re-post the links, I will stay out of it.

Edited by Glacierbaze - 10 April 2018 at 10:08pm

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 10:29pm
I can see them in your post. You can't?
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 10:37pm
I can now! They disappeared for a few minutes, probably while you were fiddling with the links.

kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:20am
First they will claim they were shad. Then they will say it is their birthright. Please keep us posted on any investigation. Thanks Ray for posting.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 9:41am
The real people to thank are the people from Bertie County who want to make sure the law is upheld so that one day a daily creel for personal consumption of river herring can be a reality. It won't be if people were to ignore the law.

Laws to rebuild and enhance a resource are real, not a joke, and not some ploy by a bunch of old guys with expensive boats. They exist to enhance the resource and thus the utilization of the resource for all.

Edited by Ray Brown - 11 April 2018 at 9:52am
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 3:49pm
...come on Ray...it's a water quality issue.

...others see a problem where Terry doesn't...

Wink ...of course many see a problem where the NCDMF doesn't, e.g. CSMA Striped Bass.

Endangered and Threatened Species; Initiation of a Status Review for Alewife and Blueback Herring Under the Endangered Species Act (ESA)

Endangered and Threatened Species; Initiation of a Status Review for Alewife and Blueback Herring Under the Endangered Species Act (ESA)

AGENCY: National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.

ACTION: Notice of initiation of a status review; request for information.

SUMMARY: We, NMFS, announce the initiation of a new status review of alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) and blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis) to determine whether listing either species as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act is warranted. A comprehensive status review must be based on the best scientific and commercial data available at the time of the review. Therefore, we are asking the public to provide such information on alewife and blueback herring that has become available since the listing determination in 2013.

DATES: To allow us adequate time to conduct this review, we must receive your information no later than October 16, 2017.

Edited by Rick - 11 April 2018 at 4:43pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 3:16pm
Speaking of a fish fry, I heard today that the annual NCFA legislative fish fry in Raleigh will be held on May 23rd. A new twist added this year is a permit to hold a protest rally outside the Governor's Mansion on the same day...
A rising tide lifts all boats...
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 3:37pm
Are we getting a permit to counter that protest? The will to act usually trumps the will to watch.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 4:59pm
Are they protesting recreational fishermen being allowed to fish? I don’t know what else they have to whine about.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 6:20pm
kshivar,they will whine about anything at all,worse than liberals and thats bad,anything to avert the light on themselves.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 1:15pm
Is this being investigated at all? My copy of 4/2018 NC Forestry Association newsletter reports that the Shavender Herring Fry, an annual event, was hosted by Buddy Shavender for the 40th time. The day is not indicated but it was as always held in Jamesville, NC.  
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 1:37pm
THe forestry newsletter I saw mentioned food served by Rivers Edge restaurant. This place and the Cypress Grill next door sale herring imported from Canada (maybe SC)typically.

kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

The real people to thank are the people from Bertie County who want to make sure the law is upheld so that one day a daily creel for personal consumption of river herring can be a reality. It won't be if people were to ignore the law.

Laws to rebuild and enhance a resource are real, not a joke, and not some ploy by a bunch of old guys with expensive boats. They exist to enhance the resource and thus the utilization of the resource for all.

Has any thing become of this? Is it being investigated?
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:24am
I have heard nothing back. It was someone else that made the report to the DMF, but to my knowledge they too have heard nothing back definitively.

It is not because they couldn't find the individual to talk to I'm sure. In fact I'm pretty confident the individual in the photos is in Raleigh today telling legislators that the industry is over regulated, the resource is not overharvested, and that the best thing for the state is for the legislature to make sure the MFC leaves the commercial fishermen alone while keeping NC recreational fishermen limits on gray trout, red drum, southern flounder, and speckled trout at levels lower than any other state that have the species in their waters.

Are you surprised?

kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:32pm
Anything else would surprise me. Not that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic