FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Military Appreciation Day Morehead City NC 2018 We

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ScottK View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Appreciation Day Morehead City NC 2018 We
    Posted: 16 March 2018 at 7:48am

Hey there! Another year is upon us and a super fantastic Military Appreciation Day event is shaping up for Morehead City, NC our first event of the year!

Did you know this is MAD’s 13th year doing this!!! WOW, thousands of volunteers, boaters, Captains, mates and close to 5,000 Troops out fishing. It is a tremendous success and only because of folks like you reading this!

June 2nd is event day and luckily over the past few years the weather has cooperated, and the fish have done the same. Don’t know what this is all about? Well simply put we match fishermen and women who are willing to donate a day of their time, skills and boat to take out some Active Duty Military service men and women for a day on the water. We feed you and everyone has fun!

Everyone knows someone in the Military in some way. Your family member, a  friend from work, or maybe you know someone who was in the Military, Veteran or Reserves. If you do, then you know these brave men and women have already laid it on the line for the ultimate sacrifice if needed for us, to enjoy our freedoms, one of them being freedom to go fishing.

Consider sharing your time and talent with some of them by taking them out fishing in whatever style you choose. Please use the sign up link here http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-boat-volunteer-registration/ You will receive a confirmation email with your ID number in it.

There is much more than just the fishing though! We have opened Troop registration and you will start to see your assignments in late April. You will need to login to our site using you ID number here http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/event-status-login/ and your password.

When you have your Troops info, contact them via email and/or phone. Give them time to respond as many have training or other assignments that may limit their access. You will set up the day! Tell them what to bring (sunglasses, cooler, sunblock, white sole shoes, etc) what not to bring (hangovers, bananas, etc) and it is your boat, your rules! Where to meet, what to expect, and you can get their experience level. Up to you about alcohol, smoking etc. It is like arranging a day of fishing with friends.

Our Captains meeting will be Friday, June 1st in City Park (Jaycee will have a band) and will consist of you receiving shirts, goodie bucket, chance to win door prizes and of course some great cooking by our Hobo Junction cooking team! If you have attended one of our events before you know that it is some fine eating that goes on!

We’ll discuss the event, reminders, honor some volunteers, and do any last minute changes that are needed.

EVENT DAY!!! -  What everyone has been waiting for! Same setup as last year, we will have use of Jaycee Park during the day. That will be the main pickup and drop off point for most of you. Anyone wanting to leave from their marina, home dock or other location just indicate so on your registration and we will work it out. It is no problem.

You will check out with us that you are fishing and then the party back on the hill gets started! We provide fun for the Troops families as well. Lots of land based games, boat tours, kids fishing, bounce house, prizes, etc.  We even charter the Beaufort Pirate’s Revenge ship and crew for a fun filled kids adventure! We will need volunteers to help with boat rides, provide family one hour fishing trips, and other activities. So if you have interest in that, please sign up here! http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-committee-volunteer-registration/ choose the appropriate committee (are to help in) and someone will be in touch.

We will provide some fish cleaning back at Jaycee Park on the docks, and this is your photo opportunity chance! Last few years it was a virtual seafood market there and a spectacle to behold.

Then later we will have another good ole cookout and give away some more prizes this time to the Troops! Once we have the meals finalized I will update everyone, but still it is so good you won’t forget it anytime soon.

So again we welcome anyone new this year (hopefully you’re hooked) and all of our returning volunteers who have helped make this event a rousing success over the years.

A few details we can pass along now:

-          We will have ALL 11 slips at Jaycee Park Friday and Saturday nights. Please indicate if you would like one, first come, first served. We are looking at getting a few more slips donated at various places leading up to the event.

-          Sea Tow is back with us again providing free towing and assistance for any MAD boat on event day. They also provide the life jackets for the kids boat rides and are wonderful people and supporters of ours. Consider a membership with them.

-          Captain Dave will provide free “Fish Here” maps on the night before the event. I will email them out to our MAD Captains as soon as I have them.

-          We will again have the fishing license waiver for your guests, a copy of it will be given to you and posted on our website.

-          We will be seeking hotel and block room discounts again this year.

-          There will be a limited amount of ice we can give away, but are working to secure more.

-          Stay tuned for special prizes and more announcements.

Be sure to stay in touch with us on Facebook – MAD Morehead City page is https://www.facebook.com/MADMoreheadCity/ and we have a special page just for Captains to share info at https://www.facebook.com/groups/137458123577678/ please like and share it’s free and help boost our post!

Please check out our supporters as well - http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/mad-supporters/

Of course you can PM me here or ask any questions on this post and someone will be happy to answer them. I look forward to seeing you all again and meeting any newcomers!

I did see previous posts about no-shows on event day and we will do better on standby participants. I usually invite them as walk up and also have some from nearby bases like Havelock on phone call standby, we will put boots on the boats!

Scott

Cobia 244~F115's

Please support the Troops!

BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 3:47pm
Good Lord this will with be 13 for 13 for me. 

Extraordinarily well-run program given the complexities of matching active-duty military with deployments, etc., and volunteer boat owners.

And plenty of activities for dependents who also make sacrifices.

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
ScottK View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 11:02am
Thanks Bernie we need to recognize you for that!

We are still looking for boats y'all so please consider it and come join us saying One, Simple, Thanks!
Cobia 244~F115's

ScottK View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:08am
Hey everyone! Just a few updates - We just crested 50 boats and hoping to reach 60 this week! Our largest year was 117 boats but that included chartering the Continental Shelf which no longer is an option :-( 

So if you are thinking about it....wondering what it's like to share our passion with some true American Heroes...then sign up today! 

Its the most fun you'll have all year and we feed ya good too! 
We are looking for volunteers for family boat rides, and other areas of the event. Just go to http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-committee-volunteer-registration/ and sign up for helping at the docks, food and beverage, and family activities. Also looking for help on event morning running computers for check ins and later family registrations. 

Volunteer your boat for fishing - http://militaryappreciationday.org/wp/morehead-city-chapter-boat-volunteer-registration/ 

Don't forget our Facebook page, like and share our posts! https://www.facebook.com/MADMoreheadCity/ 

Hoping to see ya'll there - Scott
Cobia 244~F115's

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic