FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will you please resign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will you please resign?
    Posted: 14 February 2018 at 5:43pm
Jerry Schill asked every member of the MFC to do that after he read a score card of prior MFC boards whose fairness he defined by his own standards.

We all have standards. He wants these nine to resign. I think it may be the most resource oriented group we have ever had. It is built by two governor's who both see the need to reform fishery politics in NC.

The new director of the NCFA also asked them to consider resigning and neither he, nor Mr. Schill, nor the Dare County commissioner ever once address the sustainability of our resources nor did they ever acknowledge when they spoke of stakeholders that the number of stakeholders other than themselves out number commercial fishermen by 5,000 to one.

Edited by Ray Brown - 14 February 2018 at 8:14pm
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:52pm
Some of those public comments were admissions to the very activity that the MFC is trying to address with the proposed definition changes. Also, it appears that $10,000 perhaps is not the minimum, but the maximum that commercial fisherman are making from a public trust resource. 
Clearly commercial fishing is not an occupation that can support a family and if commercial fishing is a means to make side money or supplemental income, then the opportunity should be open to ALL citizens.
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:05pm
Those of you who can get the Wilmington TV station should definitely watch the 11 news. The oyster wars are just beginning. Director Murphrey correctly identified this coming in today.

Edited by Ray Brown - 14 February 2018 at 10:06pm
Shrimp trawling never stops in Pamlico Sound. It just pauses on the weekend so crabs can remove the dead and dying from the battlefield.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

It is built by two governor's who both see the need to reform fishery politics in NC.

...both parties, a Republican Governor and a Democrat Governor. Fisheries reform for sustainable management is a bi-partisan effort 99.9% of North Carolians support.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:04pm
So--- Does Jerry's insistence that everybody resign strike anyone as a thinly veiled threat? What standing does he have to promote such a loaded idea? In other words, at some level, he is a guest here is the N.C. process and not of a standing to suggest anyone cease participating in it, as a citizen of Pennsylvania. I would ask that a restraining order be placed  against him if he approached me with any request of that nature.Threats are illegal, and anyone so intimidated as to not report these exhortations to the Wilmington PD, or the state police are missing an opportunity  to discourage threatening behavior at its most insidious. How about the MFC leadership? Any response there? I think the MFC should be most circumspect about exclusive demands for redress and its accompanying promise of , what, possible violence to persons and property? In this age of necessary security measures to protect boards and councils, and citizens from an increasingly unruly and dangerous bunch of both intent and chaotic, dangerous nitwits, how does this guy escape the ramifications of his own inability to play by the rules of civil behavior which we regular people observe by dint of being civilized? How does the Governor feel about a lobbying entity taking upon itself the gambit to threaten everyone who is threatening his appointed representatives to the council? Is there a competent LE officer in the room as such an approach is being perpetrated?
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:42pm
I really like the way Steve Murphrey utilized his staff today. Non combative with the MFC and they lead with common sense. To me a notable change in tone. The director was clear that he worried about these oyster leases. But we should remember two things about them. The legislature approved them and the DMF has permitted them while the MFC could only stand and watch.

More is coming on this I am sure. This was a precursor to today.

No oyster beds here.

Edited by Ray Brown - 14 February 2018 at 11:52pm
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:08am
I was just wondering, where all of you that are so passionate about NC fisheries and the proposed change to the definition of commercial fisherman, were tonight?  I was at the meeting til 8pm and not one person spoke in favor of changing the definition, NO ONE.  You keyboard cowboys have such conviction for your cause, but NOT ONE of you, came forward to speak publicly to stand up for what you believe in.  But, I do believe that many spoke publicly against changing the definition of  commercial fisherman, and it wasn't just commercial fisherman speaking against the change.

And yes, many asked just who these APPOINTED, not elected commissioners represent.  They are supposed to be adversaries of their constituents of NC, and not there to promote their own agenda.
"The Fugitive"33' Morgan Sportfisher Oak Island, NC
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:40am
Originally posted by cnaff cnaff wrote:

So--- Does Jerry's insistence that everybody resign strike anyone as a thinly veiled threat? What standing does he have to promote such a loaded idea? In other words, at some level, he is a guest here is the N.C. process and not of a standing to suggest anyone cease participating in it, as a citizen of Pennsylvania. I would ask that a restraining order be placed  against him if he approached me with any request of that nature.Threats are illegal, and anyone so intimidated as to not report these exhortations to the Wilmington PD, or the state police are missing an opportunity  to discourage threatening behavior at its most insidious. How about the MFC leadership? Any response there? I think the MFC should be most circumspect about exclusive demands for redress and its accompanying promise of , what, possible violence to persons and property? In this age of necessary security measures to protect boards and councils, and citizens from an increasingly unruly and dangerous bunch of both intent and chaotic, dangerous nitwits, how does this guy escape the ramifications of his own inability to play by the rules of civil behavior which we regular people observe by dint of being civilized? How does the Governor feel about a lobbying entity taking upon itself the gambit to threaten everyone who is threatening his appointed representatives to the council? Is there a competent LE officer in the room as such an approach is being perpetrated?

Jerry didn't threaten anyone, he did ask for their resignation.  He is passionate in what he believes in, and not afraid to say what he thinks publicly.  There was plenty of LEO in the room and I don't believe any of them thought that the commissioners were being threatened or were in any danger.  He spoke his mind in a civil manner and was not hostile in the least.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:32am
Most of us keyboard cowboys sent our comments to the MFC in the way they asked therefore negating our need to ride several hours.

I know they were read. Many of us listened to virtually every word.

You don't have to be there to be heard.
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:43am

Most of us keyboard cowboys sent our comments to the MFC in the way they asked therefore negating our need to ride several hours.

I know they were read. Many of us listened to virtually every word.

You don't have to be there to be heard.

I read through 261 pages of written comment, there were about 5 or so that were for the change in the definition.  Not much in written comment support either.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 4:21am
I read those too.

MFC members like legislators are to weigh the information before them and weigh the needs of what they are appointed or elected to govern and not simply do what the loudest voice in the room tells them to do.

Ever wonder why so much disinformation goes ahead of these meetings? Historically it is to whip up a large crowd in hopes the crowd's size and volume will influence the vote. It's called intimidation. And admittedly it has worked in the past, but after awhile participants know the game. And it ceases to work.

If you listened or you read the pages, and I am confident you did, then you know that the overwhelming majority were addressing concerns or specifics that didn't or don't exist.

No proposal, or new definition of a commercial fisherman has been given to the MFC for them to consider. None, nada.

The meeting of the three commissioners was to throw out some possible areas of discussion and then get the public, or stakeholders to offer up their ideas then at the meeting tomorrow the MFC will weigh what they heard, what they think, and then vote. We are all stakeholders in public trust resources by the way. So what a rec fisherman from Raleigh says should carry equal weight with a commercial fisherman from Dare. They have equal ownership in the resource.

The MFC has never said they were or to shut down active commercial fishermen. They never said you have to make, $10,000 from fishing, plus have 36 trip tickets. Those numbers were thrown out as examples of the type of criteria that a new definition may include. The 50% income from commercial fishing rule already exists if you want to buy from the state so that is nothing new.

But person after person who spoke or wrote addressed those as if they were a proposal on the table. They weren't. Coastal newspapers printed articles that inferred they were. Local politicians found a platform to rile against something that didn't exist.

It is sad that these people are mentally abused this way.

The leadership of the organized commercial fishing industry should have advised its members of the truth, but it didn't attempt to set the record straight.

Commissioners Gorges and Batten, to their credit, tried to explain that from day one, but mob mentality would not listen.

Let me pbrase this another way. Public comment periods in NC have been used so often to try and intimidate the MFC that they have lost credibility. Most participants and the state realize the majority in the room are not there to discuss an issue, but to see that no change whatsoever occurs so a lot of people just write, call or visit commissioners rather than participate in the mob.

With communications like they are today, mobs don't drown out keyboard cowboys any more.

The real rodeo is in Raleigh. The NCFA has known that for years, we keyboard punchers are just figuring that out.

Seriously. Science and common sense is returning to fishery management in NC after a long absence. You, in particular, should be glad it is. Aquaculture will eventually replace wild caught as the number one source of seafood in NC. There will be hiccups getting there, but the days of mob mentality running you off without sound biological or social science causing the change may be over.

As a rule, when the mob is no longer listened to, is when the mob itself refuses to listen.

And last night it was obvious they were misinformed. Who would do that to them?

We all know. It was all over social media who was spreading false information.

I don't want people who need the income to be hurt by this and if they follow the system I think the MFC will go out of their way to make sure they aren't. But if someone is not using commercial gear and privileges for commercial purposes then they aren't commercial fishermen to start with.

Also, it does appear the state has not been following FRA'97 in terms of license transfers and to comply with the law that needs to be addressed. That comes not from the MFC, but members of the legislature itself.

Sorry for the rant, but felt sorry for all these folks worrying over something the MFC didn't create.

Edited by Ray Brown - 15 February 2018 at 4:33am
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:26am
Ryan, how many MFC meetings have you attended and why did you attend? Also, do you own a SCFL and for what purpose? 

What Ray says in his post is absolutely the truth; however, the truth is rarely acknowledged by the masses. I too read the letters and listened to the public comments of the audience. I have to work at one of those job types that so many of the commenters loathe because commercial fishing does not provide enough income to survive; therefore, I was unable to attend. Overall, it was evident that misinformation was the driving force and that the concern for misuse of a SCFL is indeed warranted as the admissions of current license holders supported. I simply believe that a definition of commercial fishing that includes a mandate to require SCFL license holders to sell their catch would be a step in the right direction. I never knew that my home state would allow someone to take something that does not exclusively belong to them and do with it as they please. Somehow, that is as absurd to me as requiring transparency and accountability in the commercial fishing industry is to you. 

Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:45am
Ray, then I will say the MFC/DMF whomever is responsible for divulging information to the public did a horrible job with this. The release on the DMF site by Patricia Smith is below.

MOREHEAD CITY — The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission is accepting public comment on five recommended changes to the commercial fishing license structure it plans to further discuss at its February meeting.

“Nothing here is etched in stone,” said commission Chairman Sammy Corbett.

A committee made up of three commission members voted yesterday to recommend the full commission begin deliberations with the following proposed requirements for holding a Standard Commercial Fishing License:

1. Must have 50 percent of earned income from the Trip Ticket Program as in the Fisheries Reform Act of 1997. There is already a statutory precedent for a commercial fisherman in the Fisheries Reform Act. 
2. A fisherman must have 36 trip tickets per year. 
3. To address crew issues for those who do not have trip tickets, but are bona fide commercial fishermen as crew or any commercial fishing interest in North Carolina or outside the state, proof of income of $10,000 or more per year. The proof of income should come from a commercial fishing operation, business, etc. doing business in North Carolina.

(The commission can decide if items 1, 2 and 3 are stand alone or a combination thereof.)

4. Inactive Standard Commercial Fishing Licenses that do not have any of the above with a three-year running average, would go back into a special pool and these licenses may be reissued to the original holder subject to commitment to 1, 2 and/or 3 above without going through the Eligibility Pool.
5. Create a Heritage Standard Commercial Fishing License that families may want to maintain that are inactive. The license may be maintained for $100 per year and may be reissued one time to a family member without going through the Eligibility Pool or any of the 1, 2 and 3 requirements listed above. If the reissuance of the license is not wanted, a one-time fee of $100 will retire that license number.

The proposals would require legislative approval.

Members of the public wishing to comment on the proposals may do so during the regular comment period at the Feb. 14-15 commission meeting at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort, 275 Waynick Blvd., Wrightsville Beach. The public comment period will begin at 6 p.m. Feb. 14.

Most, including myself read this as what will be discussed, especially when reinforcing that perception by stating these five proposals will be brought up for deliberations. That tells the reader that these are the options, nothing more, nothing less. Now while some of you sit around and call and talk to folks in the know, your everyday individual doesn't do that. This proposal as what most took it for was gonna fail and receive push back without a doubt, and if how the public took this proposal is not the way the MFC or division intended this meeting to be about, then they failed to address the public. That is their responsibility as well, to make it clear what is being discussed.

lcg8978 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcg8978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:23am
Listening to the public comments really got me thinking..

Why aren't we demanding mandatory harvest reporting for ALL? All NC citizens own this resource and we deserve to know what is being taken from it, by what gear, and for what purpose. WRC requires this for big game harvest, clearly it's feasible. That one action would do more for the resource than anything I've seen proposed yet. 
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:26am

No proposal, or new definition of a commercial fisherman has been given to the MFC for them to consider. None, nada.

The meeting of the three commissioners was to throw out some possible areas of discussion and then get the public, or stakeholders to offer up their ideas then at the meeting tomorrow the MFC will weigh what they heard, what they think, and then vote. We are all stakeholders in public trust resources by the way. So what a rec fisherman from Raleigh says should carry equal weight with a commercial fisherman from Dare. They have equal ownership in the resource.

The MFC has never said they were or to shut down active commercial fishermen. They never said you have to make, $10,000 from fishing, plus have 36 trip tickets. Those numbers were thrown out as examples of the type of criteria that a new definition may include. The 50% income from commercial fishing rule already exists if you want to buy from the state so that is nothing new.

But person after person who spoke or wrote addressed those as if they were a proposal on the table. They weren't. Coastal newspapers printed articles that inferred they were. Local politicians found a platform to rile against something that didn't exist.

It is sad that these people are mentally abused this way.

The leadership of the organized commercial fishing industry should have advised its members of the truth, but it didn't attempt to set the record straight.

Commissioners Gorges and Batten, to their credit, tried to explain that from day one, but mob mentality would not listen.

Let me pbrase this another way. Public comment periods in NC have been used so often to try and intimidate the MFC that they have lost credibility. Most participants and the state realize the majority in the room are not there to discuss an issue, but to see that no change whatsoever occurs so a lot of people just write, call or visit commissioners rather than participate in the mob.

With communications like they are today, mobs don't drown out keyboard cowboys any more.

The real rodeo is in Raleigh. The NCFA has known that for years, we keyboard punchers are just figuring that out.

Seriously. Science and common sense is returning to fishery management in NC after a long absence. You, in particular, should be glad it is. Aquaculture will eventually replace wild caught as the number one source of seafood in NC. There will be hiccups getting there, but the days of mob mentality running you off without sound biological or social science causing the change may be over.

As a rule, when the mob is no longer listened to, is when the mob itself refuses to listen.

And last night it was obvious they were misinformed. Who would do that to them?

We all know. It was all over social media who was spreading false information.

I don't want people who need the income to be hurt by this and if they follow the system I think the MFC will go out of their way to make sure they aren't. But if someone is not using commercial gear and privileges for commercial purposes then they aren't commercial fishermen to start with.

Also, it does appear the state has not been following FRA'97 in terms of license transfers and to comply with the law that needs to be addressed. That comes not from the MFC, but members of the legislature itself.

Sorry for the rant, but felt sorry for all these folks worrying over something the MFC didn't create.

And clearly on the meeting agenda listed at 8:30  SCFL eligibility requirements committee
**Vote on committee recommendations.

So yes they are going to vote on it, and yes the overwhelming majority are against from written and spoken comments. 

This is why there was so much comment, to stop this from going any further.  Guess we will see in the next few minutes.

ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jtoler jtoler wrote:

Ryan, how many MFC meetings have you attended and why did you attend? Also, do you own a SCFL and for what purpose? 

What Ray says in his post is absolutely the truth; however, the truth is rarely acknowledged by the masses. I too read the letters and listened to the public comments of the audience. I have to work at one of those job types that so many of the commenters loathe because commercial fishing does not provide enough income to survive; therefore, I was unable to attend. Overall, it was evident that misinformation was the driving force and that the concern for misuse of a SCFL is indeed warranted as the admissions of current license holders supported. I simply believe that a definition of commercial fishing that includes a mandate to require SCFL license holders to sell their catch would be a step in the right direction. I never knew that my home state would allow someone to take something that does not exclusively belong to them and do with it as they please. Somehow, that is as absurd to me as requiring transparency and accountability in the commercial fishing industry is to you. 

I have been going to them since I entered the fishery as charter capt, about 10 years ago.  I am a recreational fisherman, charter fisherman, and commercial fisherman.  I fish for 100% of my income.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:35am
Nancy Fish reading the minutes from the Nov meeting-

"nothing is etched in stone" 

"They will serve as a starting point for discussion at that meeting [today's meeting]"

How much clearer can that be?
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:46am
This paragraph is key.

"A committee made up of three commission members voted yesterday to recommend the full commission begin deliberations with the following proposed requirements for holding a Standard Commercial Fishing License:"

It clearly says these are beginning points to start deliberations, and chairman Corbett's quote clearly states that at the time this was written nothing was" etched in stone".

The three items were just beginning places to start discussions.

But from there, inflamed rumors, and out right erroneous information began to circulate to the point that a mob was created.

And did you listen to the leaders of the mob? They offered the state no suggestions on how to resolve the issue of what these non reported licenses were being used for. None!

Instead they attempted to enrage the mob more so, by labeling the last two governor's appointments as unfair, and as a solution to everything that the entire MFC resign do the current governor can correct his mistakes with new appointments. They gave cover to some local politicians to join in at the front of the mob to garner votes by their fiery speeches or waive their resolutions based on innuendo.

I thought the DMF announcement was clear, and after making a call or two I knew these were mere talking points and that there would be more and the public would offer more before the MFC, as a whole, brought it up.
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:58am
The majority of speakers had one common thought, NO change to the definition, and were against all of the sub committee's proposal.  As many have said, this new motion is targeting Recreational fisherman now as well.  We need to stand united and not divided as we have become, we all want to fish, we all want to catch fish, and we all want to have fish in the future.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:11am
The majority of the speakers on this topic, or their friends or family, have a financial interest in the resource.  

The health of the resource comes before any user group. How hard this is to understand for many.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:29am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

The majority of the speakers on this topic, or their friends or family, have a financial interest in the resource.  

The health of the resource comes before any user group. How hard this is to understand for many.

By this train of thought, anyone who eats NC seafood has a financial interest in this, they are paying for the seafood. 
And yes, the health of the resource is the committee's main concern, the problem is identifying the source of the problem, and it seems that many have targeted the commercial fisherman.  There are also recreational fisherman taking above their limit or fishing out of season, non license holders taking fish, pollution, etc. that are all part of the problem. 
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:33am
What's being discussed on a motion is based on the recommendations shown below from the NCWF.

Each point is being tweaked with some removed and other points added.

It would be nice if WebEx showed a visual.  It may on the final motion vote as it has in the past.

fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:55am
Final motion tweaked, eliminated and added to the above points.  Recreational issues were totally removed per instruction from the MFC attorney that the Nov motion to address the licensing issue didn't include the recreation sector. 

Per my poor hearing and poorer note taking skills:
#1 tweaked slightly.
#2 removed
#3 removed for the same reason as the recreation sector.
#4 stayed basically the same
#5 tweaked
#6 tweaked
Added- inactive license status for $100/yr that allows a one-time transfer to a family member to re-activate
Added- an opportunity to permanently retired a license for a $100

You'll have to wait on the final printed version to get all the complete facts. 

Willis- No
Corbett- No
Rose- No
Laughridge- Yes
Kornegay- Yes
Koury- No
Boltes- Yes
Gorges- Yes
Smith- Yes

5-4, motion passes

Edited by Rick - 15 February 2018 at 11:15am
fiogf49gjkf0d
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:14am
Where is it targeting recreational fishermen?

If you mean recs who use a commercial license to pay for their hobby or circumvent recreational limits, then let me say...."it's about damned time"!
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

#4 stayed basically the same

Goodbye Craigslist license sales!!!!!    Still hard to believe that has been allowed all of these years.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:30am

Statute is clear! It should have never been allowed.

(1) Transfers

The Division classifies approximately 73% of all SCFL/RSCFL transfer as “exceptions”.  These are exceptions to statute and based on a Division policy interpretation of the "intent" of statute.

Statute is clear-

§ 113-168.2. Standard Commercial Fishing License.

(g) Transfer. – A SCFL may be transferred only by the Division. A SCFL may be transferred pursuant to rules adopted by the Commission or upon the request of:

(1) A licensee, from the licensee to a member of the licensee's immediate family who is eligible to hold a SCFL under this Article.

(2) The administrator or executor of the estate of a deceased licensee, to the administrator or executor of the estate if a surviving member of the deceased licensee's immediate family is eligible to hold a SCFL under this Article. The administrator or executor must request a transfer under this subdivision within six months after the administrator or executor qualifies under Chapter 28A of the General Statutes. An administrator or executor who holds a SCFL under this subdivision may, for the benefit of the estate of the deceased licensee:

a. Engage in a commercial fishing operation under the SCFL if the administrator or executor is eligible to hold a SCFL under this Article.
b. Assign the SCFL as provided in subsection (f) of this section.
c. Renew the SCFL as provided in G.S. 113-168.1.

(3) An administrator or executor to whom a SCFL was transferred pursuant to subdivision (2) of this subsection, to a surviving member of the deceased licensee's immediate family who is eligible to hold a SCFL under this Article.

(4) The surviving member of the deceased licensee's immediate family to whom a SCFL was transferred pursuant to subdivision (3) of this subsection, to a third-party purchaser of the deceased licensee's fishing vessel.

(5) A licensee who is retiring from commercial fishing, to a third-party purchaser of the licensee's fishing vessel.

Edited by Rick - 15 February 2018 at 11:31am
fiogf49gjkf0d
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:35am
Wait a minute ---- that sounds like Craigslist sales have never been legal.

What am I missing?????

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:41am
I am 100% in favor of those recreational changes as well... But we may have to wait for another day on that.

Big news here... Wow. Little impact immediately, but long term...
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by ryan ryan wrote:

Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

By this train of thought, anyone who eats NC seafood has a financial interest in this, they are paying for the seafood. 
And yes, the health of the resource is the committee's main concern, the problem is identifying the source of the problem, and it seems that many have targeted the commercial fisherman.  There are also recreational fisherman taking above their limit or fishing out of season, non license holders taking fish, pollution, etc. that are all part of the problem. 

The courts have for decades ruled that there is no right for citizens to purchase seafood or for that matter wildlife.  They have a right to gather it for themselves, but not to pay someone to do it.  As an example you might have trouble purchasing wild caught largemouth bass.

Both sectors are part of the problem and no one I know is targeting commercial fishermen.  How both sectors catch fish, yes.  Its easy to cherry pick.  

You know this thing called pollution.  A lot of our stocks declines have been blamed on pollution.  Yet the there are other fish species, fish for which there is not a price on their heads (or ovaries), that are swimming in the same waters in just fine numbers and they have adults in their midst. 

Edited by chriselk - 15 February 2018 at 11:53am
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:56am
I still think that the motion they voted on and passed will have to be tweaked after the attorney looks at it in depth.  And in it's current state will not meet legislative approval.  And I don't understand the "community college" class part.  I do wonder if they have to open this back up to public comment before is sent up the hill? 

Ray, the initial motion this morning before it was tweaked, was also including recreational fisherman.  They have since removed anything related to recreational fisherman in the final motion.  But I have a feeling that something will becoming up in the near future pertaining to recs.

If they want to follow the fisheries reform act of 1997, then they need to allow charter capts to use their experience to qualify them for the eligibility pool, instead of cherry picking from the reform act.  The fisheries reform act clearly states, that for-hire fishing qualifies as commercial fishing, but the eligibility pool committee has not been allowing it in their decision.  If they want to follow the letter of the law than all charter capts would qualify for a SCFL after 3 years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic