FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why legislators who thwart reform are wrong!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why legislators who thwart reform are wrong!
    Posted: 07 February 2018 at 11:06pm
For every politician who can not see the need to put the resource ahead of current harvest I offer you this primer. Too bad most won't read it.

Economic folly!
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 11:33pm
And here is the elephant in the room that no one addresses:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&ei=lMF7WvqNBKLX5gLklLbYAw&q=world+population+predictions&oq=world+population+predictions&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0l2j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1l5j0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1.2241.5807.0.11413.12.6.0.6.6.0.101.447.5j1.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.12.481...0i131i67k1j0i67k1j0i131k1.0.51nO2F_77lc

People will stick their heads in the sand, and say that the numbers are inconsistent, that there is wide disagreement, that it is a natural cycle, that it is fake news, a liberal media plot.  But the one thing all the numbers do is go up dramatically. A lot of people think that they will live their life before climate change has a dramatic effect, maybe even think their children and grandchildren are safe, but they won't outrun population explosion.  This is a classic example of crossing the tipping point, where the birth rate is on the decline, but population growth is still on the rise for decades to come, because the average age is down significantly.
I plan to be around in 2050, I'll only be 101, and a lot of other people will be around too.  But they won't be eating wild caught ocean fish.

"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 11:15am
That article fairly points to subsidies as a means of public resource theft. Provided by our politicians. On the typically myopic side, these european researchers don't even consider the role of recs in the fishery economies of the world.
V/H Dog
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 7:42pm
Numbers,stats,report,first hand information,see it for yourself,pitures and the declining amount of the right size fish coming to shore and the prices still cannot make someone do anything about the inpending doom of the resources
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic