FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Answer to Southern Flounder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 10:11pm
According to DMF reports today the level of overfishing on southern flounder is improving so these size limit increases have worked.

At 85%, that is one of the lowest assessments of rec harvest in some time. When I was on the southern flounder AC the DMF said 90% of all southern flounder landings in NC was from commercial fishing.
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 9:20pm
How can you tell if a 12 inch flounder is a male or female? Killem b4 they breed
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Ryan,
Did you know that a female S flounder does not become fecund until 16"?  We are currently killing 90% plus juveniles and you want us to lower the size limit?

We have been raising the size limit to increase the SSB.

There are very few 21+ inch flounder.  

Anyway you slice it, the stock is overfished and overfishing continues unabated-for almost two decades.  Since 85% of the fish are caught by the commercial sector, therein lies the only solution to the restoration of S. flounder.  Stop the overfishing by the commercial sector.

And that raising of size limit increase has applied to commercial as well as recreational. How has that worked so far?  As for 85% being caught by the commercial sector, there are trip tickets to show how many founder are commercially harvested, but none for the recreational catch so these numbers can be misleading.  There needs to be a better way to determine the recreational take than current measures.  I agree that flounder are in trouble, but I disagree on how management has been trying to solve it.
"The Fugitive"33' Morgan Sportfisher Oak Island, NC
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:50pm
15 in flounder should 1-1.25 lbs. assuming you get 50% that's not much. 17-18 inch fish will have doubled in weight.agree with Chris.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:42pm
Ryan,
Did you know that a female S flounder does not become fecund until 16"?  We are currently killing 90% plus juveniles and you want us to lower the size limit?

We have been raising the size limit to increase the SSB.

There are very few 21+ inch flounder.  

Anyway you slice it, the stock is overfished and overfishing continues unabated-for almost two decades.  Since 85% of the fish are caught by the commercial sector, therein lies the only solution to the restoration of S. flounder.  Stop the overfishing by the commercial sector.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by TomM TomM wrote:

15 inch flounder has very little meat

Not so, many are willing to fork out big money at seafood restaurants for whole cooked flounder, and the majority of those are not 15"(farm raised or imported).  Also, 21+ inch flounder produce many eggs, which equals more fish in the long run.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:57pm
15 inch flounder has very little meat
ryan View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 12:49pm
One of the main problems in the flounder scenario, is the minimum size limit.  Flounder over 12" tend to be female, and as flounder get even larger it is almost all female, with the largest being all female.  By taking out the larger flounder we are taking away our breeders, and history and science have shown that this is detrimental to the species.  I would rather that there not be a minimum size, and limit the take on the larger breeding females, i.e. limiting it to one trophy fish over a certain size per day(already a precedence with bluefish) .  Many fisherman like to cook flounder whole, and it is tough to put a 15" flounder in a pan to do that.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 7:44pm
Some where over the rainbow Breadman 1
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 11:03am
I would be so bold as to say the recreational cut has been closer to 90% or worse, because the population has been wiped out for purposes of comparison to historical flounder angling success. By that I mean we haven't been catching flounder at all because the population is COLLAPSED. In my efforts, no flounder in 4 years. Period. If the giggers and pounds catch the only fish, by and large, it means we're suffering from a lack of viable biomass for angling. This is state supported theft. The supplement was a farce, and if results are a benchmark for success, the supplement hasn't been a success. So called efforts to bring back SF are a charade. Remember, we debated the supplement here, and I believe the case can be made for it being an abject failure. Situation normal, you rat finks in our GA, who wouldn't give a crap if all the flounder in Carolina were stacked, packed and sent to Canada and New York. Collective apathy, deal making and destruction of this one time great fishery are squarely branded on your foreheads. Incompetence and bad will follow this idiotic trajectory, a shadow ever present on the August body. Thanks for NOTHING, dear sirs!
V/H Dog
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 1:14pm
If only.
Bread Man 1 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bread Man 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 11:03am
1. Gill nets effective May 1 2018 will have 2 years for fisherman to use up existing gear. Complete gill net ban takes effect May 1 2020
2.Permanent moratorium on new pound net sets. Existing sets can no longer be added on to. Existing sets can be handed down to heirs and can be bought/sold/traded. If a set does not show landings for a three year period, permit is removed permanently. Establish a yearly pound net quota based on previous 5 year landings and cut that average by 35% to designate quota. 35% may be given back once fishery is deemed recovered.
3. 35 fish commercial gig limit, no season or designated work days limit is per boat no matter how many scfl holders are on board.
4. 15" size limit stays in effect

Rec anglers have taken a 30% cut and have taken all cuts on flounder over the years. No more changes at all to recreational fishery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic