FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bluegill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shad
    Posted: 21 December 2017 at 8:57am
Just think in about 2 months we can have some fun with the shad. I have been stocking up on baits and I am ready.  
bluegill
Cooter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2017 at 10:44pm
Good plan Grasshopper
Politicians and diapers must be changed often for the same reason. Mark Twain
bluegill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 5:04pm
First shad around Grifton caught today. A buck hickory. Check out Stoney Creek Outfitter's  facebook page.
bluegill
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 8:06pm
Clap
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 8:36am
Any update on the shad? Hopefully spring will be upon us soon! 
jasonginn View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 12:19pm
I'm planning on going to lock and dam #1 Saturday morning just to see if there is anything going on. 
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 2:26pm
I'm all the way out Greensboro... but I want to do a kayak trip on the Lumber again this spring for shad... If anyone hears about when they get to the Lumberton area, please post here or pm me please... It's a long drive and a long day of paddling to do unless they are there.
jasonginn View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jasonginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:26am
No shad at Cape Fear Lock and Dam 1 this past Saturday. We fished for probably 3 or 4 hours. Maybe they will show up before too long. 
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:09am
With all this rain we have been getting it is bound to take off soon. 
bluegill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:26am
Looks like this site is dead. It has been very helpful in the past, but too much controversy now. Moving to a more receptive site. TKS.  
bluegill
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:54am
I've heard good things about the Neuse in between Goldsboro and New Bern. Also heard of some increasing numbers at Weldon. Not sure about the tar yet. Have only seen one American caught so far.
Red Chaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 9:05am
What's the name of the site? 
bluegill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluegill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2018 at 9:26am
Facebook   NC Shad  
bluegill
Dr. Oc View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Oc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 1:24pm
Fished the Tar River near Sparta on Sat. Water low & temps in the mid 40's. Slow. Caught a dozen or so over several hours. Spoons and pink grubs.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 5:08am
Even with rising water (falling now at Goldsboro) on the Neuse and low water on the Roanoke, shad fishing is on fire in spots and luke warm in others.

If I were to choose a spot now, it would be the creeks off the Neuse at least until April 1st when the mandatory spawn flow will make the ride to Weldon a bit more of a sure thing.  Till then, catches along the Neuse have been keeping rods bent on some days with numbers to amazing to even mention in polite company at the risk of someone calling BS, but I can swear in court that 200 in a long half day with 3 fly fishing has been done and low triple digits are possible in the right spot.

Water temps were high 40s yesterday at Ft Barnwell and fish were on fire.

Good Fishing!!!
Dr. Oc View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Oc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 7:18am
Fished Weldon Sun.  Water still very low with flows ~2500cfs but shad are there in big numbers. Cordial crowd.  Water temp was 48 in AM and 51.5 when we quit.  3 boats all over triple digits, plus a few early stripers.  Preference seemed to change as day progressed and was unusually important as shad seem to get picky.  Hot lures in AM (spoons) were nearly non-productive in PM.  Traditional darts were poor most of day but grubs got better and better the warmer it got.  size and weight were critical.  Color not so much.  After getting schooled the last 1/2 hr I rejoined the game only by raiding the other tackle box.  Big smile
fishing fever View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:03pm
Shad in batchlors creek seem bigger than normal. Is that the case in the other sports?
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:30am
FF

The shad I've seen this year seem to be about average size. 

Been wanting to get to Bachelors and finally got my trailer fixed and almost done with my creek canoe. May see ya down there soon!
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 7:44pm
OK just wondering. The batchlors run seems slow but most fish (hickory ) are 14-18 inchs with lots ok 18-19 inch fish only a hand full of small fish. Last weekends report Friday afternoon only 10 fish in 2 hours only wanted pink spoon.Saturday mid day more like 20 fish but fished 3-4 hours fish hit everything I thru. Sunday another 20 or so only wanted green spoon fished up current.   Friday close to the bridge Saturday and Sunday way up almost to 55. But the bite was very color and action oriented. Sunday worked up stream for hour and half 2 fish turned down stream and bam started getting hit. Lost as many as I caught each day.
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:01pm
Creeks off the Neuse still holding a lot of fish, but Weldon is on fire and water levels are suposed to stay a bit over 4000cfs thru mid week.

Photos by Capt Joe Tunstall

Good Fishing!!!

Edited by Chuck Laughridge - 25 March 2018 at 6:03pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 7:38pm
Nice pic
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 8:13pm
12 trailers at 2 this afternoon. Now weds - sat might be on fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic