FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

specks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: specks
    Posted: 15 November 2017 at 9:11am
Anything going in the vicinity of the inlets in Carteret county?
swordfish11 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:47pm
Fished sunday.Tried radio jetties-nada. Stacks produced 2 keepers and 15+ spikes. Have heard people catching them on the beach. The creeks seem to be producing better quality fish
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 2:51pm
Thanks swordfish. Figured they would be closer to the inlets now. I guess I will hit the creeks first this weekend. 
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 6:15pm
Heard early morning bit off At Beach at the stop nets was hot.  Saw surf fishermen catch a few at 
Rough Point this morning around 10.

Good Fishing!!!
jasonginn View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonginn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:37pm
My buddy and I went in trout creek next to the EI bridge Fri 12/1 and caught 51 10 - 12" specks in about an hour until dark. We went back Sat morning and fished about 7 hours and caught 135 specks 10 - 13" and one 15.5" keeper. 

It was fun, but sure wish there were some larger fish! 

Jason Ginn
Fishin-A-Ginn
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:00pm
Ditto-

I fished Newport River and Core Creek to Adams Creek on Friday.  Haystacks on Saturday.  Core Creek, Haystacks, CLO- rock jetty and Shackleford's ocean beach on Sunday.

There is one heck of a 2017 year class of 10" to 12" speckle trout.  On some casts I missed three strikes before getting a hookup on the 4th.  There are small fish everywhere.

In three days of fishing, I kept one black drum and two 15" speckle trout, which was a great dinner on Sunday night but hardly worth the effort.

Three schools of thought-
  • There are a pile of undersized little aggressive fish beating the larger fish to my bait.  I need to try a bigger bait.
  • All those "mullet" strike netters that I saw in November have done a number on the larger fish in the areas I fished.
  • Larger fish no longer prefer those areas that I fished, which have produced nice fish in the past.
Note: Talked with a friend at lunch who fished the North River and Middle Marsh areas over the weekend with the same results.

Edited by Rick - 05 December 2017 at 3:03pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
heelwithnoname View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heelwithnoname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:03pm
^^ I was up the White Oak Sunday and while I did not catch as many fish, they were all dinks.  Pretty sure most of the keeper sized fish ended up in the nets I saw every 200 yards in places.  I don't know how much they net around trout creek but I'm guessing it happens there too.  Not sure where to go to catch fish of any size, think I'm done for the winter.

Edited by heelwithnoname - 05 December 2017 at 3:04pm
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:07pm
...Yep.

It's a frigging shame that three good mild winters with great year classes have be wasted.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
heelwithnoname View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heelwithnoname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 3:11pm
I'll add that earlier in the fall, I was not catching a ton of fish but every one was keeper sized.  Sure, recreational fishing pressure could be part of the reduction, but almost overnight the nice sized fish were gone.

Up my way on the White Oak, the serious netters seem to show up on December 1; I don't know what the rules are but there must be something preventing them from setting them out earlier.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:40pm
Recreational fishing does not hold a match to all the netters,when you can put nets out anytime of the day and never get checked what do you expect to do with a rod and reel.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic