FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would stopping trawling in Pamlico Sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would stopping trawling in Pamlico Sound
    Posted: 28 September 2017 at 9:35am
bring back spot and croaker in Pamlico sound?

Most people who don't have a financial interest in trawling believe it would, including scientist.

Thanks to a UNC scientist I met yesterday who has done research from the Pacific to the Atlantic with the Gulf thrown in, he lead me to this which pretty much says it would. Heck....it does say that!

Here is an excerpt taken from the study of the affects of the busted oil well in the Gulf and what they found a year later. The reference to "middle sized fish" is spot and croaker.

Coastal ecosystems along the northern Gulf of Mexico are highly productive and are affected by fishing and petroleum industries in different, sometimes contrasting, ways. As a result of the Deepwater Horizon (DWH) oil spill in April 2010, oil and oil dispersants were introduced into the northern Gulf of Mexico. At the same time, large portions of the Gulf of Mexico were closed to commercial and recreational fishing for most of the 2010 summer. This presented a unique opportunity to study the dynamics of a fish assemblage exposed to changes in two disparate types of anthropogenic disturbances. We compared assemblage data for near-coastal fish (456 samples representing over 45,000 individuals and 109 species) from pre-DWH (before 2010) and post-DWH (2011–2014) to assess potential changes in abundance, diversity (alpha, beta, and gamma), and assemblage structure. In contrast to predicted oil-induced mortality, post-DWH assemblages were characterized by high abundance in 2011 (CPUE across all species pooled was 2.5 times higher than in any other year). This high abundance was most pronounced in medium-sized fish species that are direct targets of commercial fishing or likely bycatch. Abundances returned to levels similar to pre-DWH in 2012, 2013, and 2014. There were no differences in pre- and post-DWH levels of diversity, and shifts in assemblage structure may be consistent with increases driven by reduced fishing pressure. While other assemblages and ecosystems may respond differently, our data for the near-coastal fish assemblage indicated the effects of the DWH were minimal. Rigorous empirical data from other systems are required to assess potential DWH impacts across the range of ecosystems potentially affected.

The study is listed as follows and probably can be found by Googling:

Dynamics of Near-Coastal Fish Assemblages
following the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the
Northern Gulf of Mexico
Jacob Schaefer, Nkrumah Frazier & Jonathan Barr
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
cwilli View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 10:04am
Ray,
the impact of inshore trawling is obvious to everyone, and the data backs it up. However Raleigh would rather protect a $20mm fishery versus an overwhelming financial benefit to the whole coast...hotels, tackle shops, restaurants, Piers, real estate Companies. It is similar to the Tobacco industry. Everyone knew that smoking killed people, but nothing was done.....until the lawyers stepped in. Is that where we are going? I don't know, but something needs to be done before it's too late. Essentially too few spot, croaker, trout and flounder for people to fish for, unless you hire a guide or have a boat. Can't remember when I caught a flounder from the surf. A public trust resource that isn't viable enough for the public to enjoy.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by cwilli cwilli wrote:

Can't remember when I caught a flounder from the surf. A public trust resource that isn't viable enough for the public to enjoy.

My younger brother in August of 1969. Caught from a slough in front of the Little Kinnakeet Life Saving Station between ramps 34 and 32 North of Avon.  You don't see many like this anymore.  Wish I had that old Willys,the deuce and a 1/4 not so much.  I do still have the rod and reel.  Good memories... maybe one day.

Edited by Rick - 28 September 2017 at 1:20pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 2:48pm
Considering they don't really target spot and croaker down there with nets, the resurgence when nets were removed and the reduction when they were put back in is not coincidental. Shrimp trawl bycatch is deadly on spot, croaker, and gray trout.

First person with the funds to sue please call!

Edited by Ray Brown - 28 September 2017 at 7:14pm
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 12:30pm
Made my first trip to the coast this year last weekend. Work has had me travelling a lot, so not much time to enjoy live.

The last few years the gill nets had been forced out of the water due to turtle interactions. This year, not so. I passed 6 different sets of gill nets in the 2 miles I paddled on my kayak.

The past few years, I caught my limit of trout and drum (I am not a good flounder fisherman... wish I was, and a limit of drum is only a single fish, of course).

This year, not a single keeper. A fair amount of little ones, but no keepers.

I understand the difference between ancedotes and evidence, and realize that this is probably just a coincidence.... But the nets were set up in pretty much exactly where I usually catch drum and trout.

Stump1187 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stump1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

Made my first trip to the coast this year last weekend. Work has had me travelling a lot, so not much time to enjoy live.

The last few years the gill nets had been forced out of the water due to turtle interactions. This year, not so. I passed 6 different sets of gill nets in the 2 miles I paddled on my kayak.

The past few years, I caught my limit of trout and drum (I am not a good flounder fisherman... wish I was, and a limit of drum is only a single fish, of course).

This year, not a single keeper. A fair amount of little ones, but no keepers.

I understand the difference between ancedotes and evidence, and realize that this is probably just a coincidence.... But the nets were set up in pretty much exactly where I usually catch drum and trout.

Agreed, they are already hitting the Pamlico and Bay River area hard. Compared to last year they seem to be in there early. Also a lot of dinks with gill net marks and larger trout are getting hard to find. 
boxer dog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boxer dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 9:43am
I have never seen as many nets in the lower neuse and bay river creeks as this year. The so called flounder, mullet, strike nets are everywhere. Seen over slot drum (by-catch) in one flounder net was still trying to get out, he got out when netter put him in boat.  You catch a trout and if you move the mullet strike netters move in and run up and down till ALL fish run in net. Last three years had no trouble catching limit of nice trout but this year just spikes.  Seen one boat with huge reel on back completely cover one bay and I got one bait with two treble hooks -good old NC. Every year except this one been stopped my NCDMF boat have not seen one this year!!!!! Could someone tell me why I have to use lights on my boat at night-before light and net and crab boats don't. It is a shame they way they are Killing Fishing in NC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic