FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All is quiet....?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All is quiet....?
    Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:59am
Still no news on the Commission seats or a new Director. It'll be interesting to see if the Gov is most interested in the resource or in politics. Don't forget the Dems have been long time supporters.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:26pm
I don't know why I feel this way, but I think new commissioners will sail before Columbus is honored. 😁
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 7:39am
There has been many rumors of the ship leaving the dock since terms were set to expire so only time will tell.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 9:15am
Cooper just a chip off the sorry Easley block. Lazy and doesn't care.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

Cooper just a chip off the sorry Easley block. Lazy and doesn't care.

The statement above is absolutely not true.

Did Easley or Perdue release a policy statement like this?

https://www.roycooper.com/marine-fisheries/

Past commissions under Easley and Perdue were under the thumb of Marc Basnight and had marching orders to keep Mikey Daniels and Bradley Styron happy above all else.  That's why the NCFA just about folded.  Mikey and Bradley didn't need to pay their lobbyist Jerry as long as they had Mike and Bev in their pocket.

Gov McCrory put in place the most unbiased commission in history, a commission that understands the intended mission of the NCDMF and has tried to steer the Division towards meeting it-

The problem is that McCrory allowed politics (money) to select his Chairman.  He also allowed politics to delay his three 2016 appointments until a week before the November election.  Please keep in mind that McCrory also hadn't replaced Keith Rhodes who had resigned almost a year earlier on November 20th, 2015.  With over 800,000 licensed coastal anglers and a $1.6 billion dollar recreational industry supporting a huge part of NC's economy, the Governor failed to understand, or misjudged, what many of us had been telling both him and his key staff about making those appointments.  It cost him early votes.  How many?  Who knows, but I'll bet it was more than 10,000. 

I trust that Gov Cooper understands the importance of our coastal marine resources.  His policy statement above certainly says that he does.  He's on public record.  I believe in the Governor's sincerity.

I direct you to two paragraphs of the Governor's policy:

As Governor, Roy Cooper will put in place agency managers and Marine Fisheries Commission members who will make decisions in accordance with the best scientific evidence available and conservative principles to enhance the resource.  The Fisheries Reform Act of 1997 will be 20 years old next year, and it needs to be modernized and updated to respond to the realities of our state’s resources and economic well being. If the current course, as set by Governor McCrory, is maintained; the availability of our natural resources for the use and enjoyment of future generations is in serious jeopardy.

As Governor, Cooper will change the direction of our natural resources policies to make the sustainability of our precious land, water, and air, and the ecosystems within them, a top priority.

I'm certain that the Governor understands that a resource oriented Commission is paramount to meeting his policy goals. 

Partisan politics should not play into this.

After we get a new Commission, appointments and re-appointments, hopefully the Governor will be able to find a new Director to steer the Division towards supporting the Governor's goals. 

Yesterday, more that seven senior staff Division employee's attended a commercial fishing industry "Summit" on whether changes to FRA-97 are needed.  Why did senior staff show such indifference to the goals of the Governor's policy statement?  Would it not have been prudent for staff to wait on direction?  This "summit" was an attempt by the commercial industry to get in front in order to block change. 

The NCDMF needs a strong Director capable of meeting the Governor's goals.  A new direction will not be easy, especially with so many at the Division deeply embedded in the past.  NC fisheries management demands a new set of eyes capable of seeing the Governor's vision and implementing it.  

It's a difficult situation for the Governor.  NC's fisheries management problems are well known nationally.  Finding the right, and willing, person to change a well-oiled machine driven by years of mismanagement through "political science" to management using best available sound biological sciences is going to be difficult.  

Governor Cooper and the Secretary will appoint new commissioners and hire a Director based on the Governor's campaign policy statement promising to "change the direction" as part of a "top priority" ...or they will not.

I'm willing to wait...but the resource can't wait much longer under current "status quo" measures at the Division.

• The Division fought the Commission on the Southern Flounder Supplement.
  • The Division fought the Commission on CSMA striped bass management changes.
  • The Division is certainly dragging it's feet of the NCWF petition.

Sustainable might be in the Division's Mission Statement, but it is not in its daily vocabulary.

The Division's vision has been clouded for far too long.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/vision-statement

"Ensures healthy, sustainable marine and estuarine fisheries and habitats through management decisions based on sound data and objective analyses."

It seems like every excuse the Division makes for not taking reasonable action to protect the resource (sustainability) is supported by a claim of "lack of data".  The Division is well entrenched to fight against the Governor's policy- the best scientific evidence available and conservative principles to enhance the resource.

Everyone should understand that a “seat at the table” for all parties that was created by FRA-1997 never existed in reality.  That common table for the good of the resource was replaced by a "Deep State" that exists at NCDMF, SeaGrant, NC Coastal Federation, APNEP, NC Catch, NCDA&CS-Marketing Division and with some individuals within our research universities that has a literal death grip on the future of our coastal resources. 

There exists an unhealthy and deeply conflicted relationship between these groups, which has clouded the vision of those with missions to regulate and promote protection and restoration of our important coastal resources. Everyone is scratching each other's backs to promote and defend the use of unsustainable gears and practices in NC's commercial fishing industry. 

There's a lot of job security (direct employment and research grants) in studying and trying to manage the unmanageable- the use of unsustainable gears and practices fishing on depleted and overfished stocks.

...let's don't forget the numerous employees of those agencies with a mission to regulate that have direct ties through their own interest, or that of family and friends, to the commercial fishing industry with many of those ties being direct harvest of our public trust resources.

Edited by Rick - 29 September 2017 at 8:40am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 3:16pm
Well said Rick. I'm not holding my breath on Cooper, but maybe he'll surprise me.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 5:20pm
What's he done to make good promises made in his election propaganda statement? Nothing. I hereby declare I'm committed to putting a space station on Mars. Stay tuned.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by bmac bmac wrote:

Well said Rick. I'm not holding my breath on Cooper, but maybe he'll surprise me.

For the sake of the resource, I hope you're surprised.

...but, if you're disappointed, McCrory is positioning himself for 2020 with those million+ coastal anglers and conservationists that fund those multi-billion dollar sectors. 

Here's the beginnings of McCrory's 2020 position paper on video-

http://vimeo.com/223499466

Wouldn't it be great to see a 2020 election driven by a million plus recreational angler and conservation voices and their votes!  It's coming.  It might already have happen by a slim margin.  Those margins are going to grow.  We've been concentrating on information and we're successfully transitioning to communication.

The two words 'information' and 'communication' are often used interchangeably, but they signify quite different things. Information is giving out; communication is getting through. Sydney J. Harris

Edited by Rick - 28 September 2017 at 5:58pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

What's he done to make good promises made in his election propaganda statement? Nothing. I hereby declare I'm committed to putting a space station on Mars. Stay tuned.
BTW I can't start the Mars station until my second term.
francoind View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 7:35pm
As governor I will promise you any and everything and not do a damn thing...why break the cycle? Tongue
fiogf49gjkf0d
A FISHIN ROD and a BROKEN HEART
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 7:40pm
Thom Tillis gets the Golden Broken Promise Award for his support of NC fisheries.

Edited by Rick - 04 October 2017 at 7:40pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 8:16am
Ray - Columbus Day is approaching fast.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 9:35am
Todobien......if the folks in Raleigh who would rather show their power than govern would ever go home then you may see some movement, but right now that crowd is in Raleigh and their only agenda is to be "different" and contrary.

I suspect it will be a cold day in Hades before I ever vote for another Republican simply because of his/her party affiliation.   Collectively they don't care about the environment, the plight of the poor, sick or frail, and they have turned their back on public education thus making a bad situation worse. And what they have done to NC's public university system has yet to be revealed. We are going from one of the best to simply another one of the rest.

Everyone does know that in a state where you have a constitutional mandate of a balanced budget that a surplus is just as much of a violation as a deficit. It means they took too much from, or gave back too little to the taxpayer.

If the Governor doesn't act then I'm all in with you. He would be but another politician that will tell you whatever you wish to hear. So if Columbus day comes and nothing has happened then I too have had enough.

Richardson and Yarboro are the only two in Raleigh that stand up daily for the resource and don't care who throws rocks or words at them. One Democrat and one Republican....this can be non partisan.

Edited by Ray Brown - 05 October 2017 at 9:38am
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 11:11am
It will be the same ole chit that it always is. Once again these gutless and spineless politicians prove their worthlessness. 
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:33am
Columbus has landed and nothing. I wonder if any action will be made before the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence occurs.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 10:57am
I cant help but wonder if Lucy will hold the snap during the Bengals season.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 11:53am
Todobien......isn't the 12th technically Columbus Day :-)   Whatever happens I'll be back.   
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 8:40pm
It doesn't appear that commission members will be made on or before the historical Columbus Day.

I honestly don't know what is going on. All I have heard is that the governor may have shown his cards, the close advisors winced, and the deck is being reshuffled.

We shall see. For the good of the resource I hope he makes a good decision. Like many I am speculating. This governor keeps things close.

Edited by Ray Brown - 11 October 2017 at 9:30pm
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:34pm
I wonder if we will have heard an announcement before folks will gather for turkey. That'll be another meeting that has come and gone with no update.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 3:06pm
I remember when I actually thought this meant something good.

Now I just feel foolish for believing it.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 8:53am
This is like Heinz Catsup....

I guess since there are more or less 3 seats open it complicates things. Folks have to make a decision that may mean something.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 9:21am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6EwLTAvHc

Wine can turn to vinegar, but then it would be nice to have a pro-resource commission full of piss and vinegar.  Fingers crossed.  I still believe the Governor's words and intentions in his position paper and will until I see different.

It's mighty quiet.  We'll see, soon I hope.

Edited by Rick - 23 October 2017 at 9:37am
fiogf49gjkf0d
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 11:43am
Well we have seen different that what he has stated. He hasn't done anything.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 10:16am
Well we are on the eve of the next meeting and no news re: new appointments.

If I remember correctly, the chairman is to change every 3 years and rotates between rec and comm. If so, I wonder if the Gov will at least change the chairman?????   Would seem like the fair thing to do and it is a very important position within the MFC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic