FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coast Guard removal of navigational aids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cooter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coast Guard removal of navigational aids
    Posted: 24 September 2017 at 6:53pm
Why is it I have seen no one complain about the removal of bouys from the Drain on the way to Cape Lookout? Is it so fewer folks will take their private boats across and pay to ride for $15 a head on Park Service monopoly ferry, or pay BoatUS or Seatow $150+ to pull them off a sand bar?

I think it is time to contact our local representatives both federal and state and ask "Why are you not looking out for the safety of the people that voted you into office?"

Sorry for the rant, but I feel somehow we Downeasters have been forgotten. Then again, we will survive as always with or without government support and more than likely be better off.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often for the same reason. Mark Twain
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 10:32am

You might ask Pat McElraft how the taxes raised below are being spent.

Carteret County could consider placing a tax on hotels, seasonal rentals and restaurant sales to generate matching dredging funds.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=3620

Legislature more than doubles boat-registration fees to pay for inlet dredging

Fee hikes differ between vessels of different sizes in Republican budget

CRAIG HOLT   July 26, 2013 at 12:00pm / 1Boat-registration fees across the state will more than double to help coastal communities pay for dredging of shallow-draft inlets thanks to the legislature's 2014 budget.
Craig Holt

The Republican legislature’s budget was finalized July 25, and North Carolina boaters will discover that vessel registration fees have more than doubled as they pay for the dredging of shallow-draft coastal inlets.

The Republicans placed a “Shallow Draft Navigation Channel and Lake Dredging Fund” on that portion of the budget act after they were stung by criticism and questions of why inland boaters should pay increased fees to fix coastal inlet shoaling.

Previously, a one-year registration cost $15 and a three-year registration $40, but owners of vessels less than 26 feet long now will have to pay $30 for one year and $90 for three years, and owners of vessels longer than 26 feet will pay $50 a year and $150 for three years.

Sailboats longer than 14 feet are included in the same registration-fee schedule as motor boats, and boat-title transfer fees rise from $20 to $30.

However, the legislature knew that increasing registration fees wouldn’t adequately fund inlet work by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, so one-sixth of one percent of the money allocated from the excise tax on motor fuel to the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission’s Boating Account will also be used to pay for inlet dredging.

The budget, passed by both houses of the Republican-dominated legislature, denies the Commission any power to approve or disapprove dispersal of marine funds. The Commission only may act in an advisory capacity, while the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission and its director will have the power to spend the money.

In addition, any project funded by revenue from the Boating Fund must be cost-shared with non-state dollars on a one-to-one basis. That means coastal communities must earmark tax monies for the dredging fund or increase taxes to match funds with the state.

The legislature’s allocations in 2013-14 for the inlet dredging fund are $2,280,350, while the 2014-15 goal is $2,193,500.

These eligible channels include the ICW and its side channels, Beaufort Harbor, Bogue Inlet, Carolina Beach Inlet, the channel from Back Sound to Lookout Back, channels connected to federal navigation channels, Lockwood Folly River, Manteo/Shallowbag Bay, Oregon Inlet, Masonboro Inlet, New River Inlet, New Topsail Inlet, Rodanthe and Rollinson channels, Shallow River, Silver Lake Harbor and the waterway connecting Pamlico Sound and Beaufort Harbor.

Edited by Rick - 26 September 2017 at 3:13pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 1:25pm
I wonder what Lake this was to help.... anything to get money from woodsers and dingbatters to keep their big trawlers fishing.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 2:56pm
I really don't mind paying $30 to renew my coastal boats, but it borders on sitting crossways in my craw to pay that increase on my old jon boat that I use for inland duck hunting a few times a year.  Heck, if this old memory serves me, I'd didn't even have to register it when I bought it because I was running less than a 10hp on it.

...but some memories, like a kid's first greenhead and black,  are priceless, so I won't complain.

Edited by Rick - 02 October 2017 at 8:27am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 8:42pm
US Army Corps of Engineers has oversight over dredging permits.  No clue where the process is on obtaining a permit.

Coast Guard is in charge of buoys and maintenance. CG typically removes when they are no longer aids to navigation.  Rather they be removed than give a false sense of a channel where none exist?

Danged if you do (remove), danged if you don't (leave and give a false sense of a channel).

Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 9:03pm
So who got the dredging money? 3 boats at $90- one stays in river 1 now in a pond other used these days on local lakes. Where did my extra $180 go. If I could designate it would go to Bardens😏
Cooter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 4:57pm
Remember back when NC did not require a saltwater fishing license. I wonder where that money is being spent?
Politicians and diapers must be changed often for the same reason. Mark Twain
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Cooter Cooter wrote:

Remember back when NC did not require a saltwater fishing license. I wonder where that money is being spent?

There are many answers to your question and I bet you wouldn't be happy with some of them.
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by jtoler jtoler wrote:

Originally posted by Cooter Cooter wrote:

There are many answers to your question and I bet you wouldn't be happy with some of them.

Some of it we know.  Some of it is starting to see the light of day.  Some of it is still to be exposed.  It all smells the same.  Dung beetles and mushrooms would thrive well under NCDMF management- croaker, spot, gray trout, flounder and red drum not so well.

Edited by Rick - 29 September 2017 at 11:29am
fiogf49gjkf0d
toyotajon93 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 3:12pm
Where all were the bouys removed from? The path from Harkers to CALO?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic