FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft Spot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Spot
    Posted: 05 July 2017 at 11:44am
I have a soft spot in my deck about the size of a coffee dish,anybody ever fixed a spot and if so how ? And if you were going to take it somewhere to have it repaired where ?
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 12:45pm
Guess I am only person whos ever had the problem
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:44pm
If you are around the New Bern area call Tidewater Marine and talk to them. Of course there is always YouTube.
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 3:26pm
Almost everything that you need to know can be found below... except experience.

http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/User-Manual-2015.pdf

http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/Fiberglass-Manual-2015.pdf

If your deck is soft around a fastener it might be an easy fix.  If it is soft with no obvious point of water intrusion, there is probably a lot bigger area than a small plate that needs attention.

What type of boat- manufacturer, model and year would be good to know.  A photo would be helpful.

Good marine grade plywood typically has more plies than exterior grade and no voids. Some boat builders skimp on cost using exterior grade (voids) plywood versus marine grade with no voids in the core plies.  Voids in the core plies trap water rotting from the inside out.  With just a little moisture intrusion,  the air voids warm up and then cool condensing water which can migrate throughout the panel. Failure to properly seal the underside of a deck or floor panel with a layer of resin and glass will also lead to failure. 

Chris Elkins can probably steer you to a reputable shop in Carteret County.

Edited by Rick - 06 July 2017 at 4:13pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 9:13pm
Thanks Rick,the spot is near a place where new holes were drilled for a new cooler bracket,the only thing I can think of is that water has gotten in that area somewhere,the Boat is a 1997 SeaPro CC,I am going to work on it this weekend and see if I can fix it,I just need to find a dealer for the supplies in Morehead City North Carolina,the soft spot is about the size of a coffee saucer,its the only one I have found. It would be nice to find a water proof spray foam that cures hard.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 12:01am
Ok,West Marine had spray foam that hardens to a % that is acceptable that is water proof,Everlast Foam, I drilled the holes, put the foam in at intervals waiting expansion, to keep from over fill and it appears to have worked fine, now I have to fix the drilled holes, plane on using Marine putty after fiberglass resin mixed with pulled fiberglass, then sand it.I think that will work out.
Mechanic Bob View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mechanic Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 9:23am
Sound like you got it! The only thing would be are you "Foaming" in any of your control cables or fuel lines or any of that other items that might need to be serviced later?
fiogf49gjkf0d
#8 weight and I can't wait
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:59pm
No only thing that could possibly be in the way would be the bow nav light but I think its up higher in gunnel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic