FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Pamlico Sound?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ONEARMEDBANDIT View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ONEARMEDBANDIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

Originally posted by jtoler jtoler wrote:

What if each Rec put up $210/acre and strategically scattered them about the shrimping areas so that the end result would be NO SHRIMP TRAWLING???

That would be devastating to the commercial fishing industry.

Count me in, iif someone organizes and lays out the areas.  

Count Me IN Also..

Quote Perhaps a drone photo of some politicians fishing in the water that they have closed to the public will finally turn the tide

Ala Christ Christie? ;) ;)

Edited by ONEARMEDBANDIT - 05 July 2017 at 6:55pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Cognitive Co-Dependency is when a normal rational person, internalizes irrational illogical presentations, and somehow reconciles them to fit their scripted indoctrination of logical analysis.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:11pm
Todobien....if the money is given to "the NC Republican Caucus" then you can never see who the money went to.

And while Bill Cook has been blamed by many, including me, for pushing SB 410, we now find that the real instigator of the bill is Onslow's own Harry Brown.

The White Oak would be a good place for a fish pen, along with the New river. Nice and quiet and protected from storms with enough tidal movement to keep things flushed.

Edited by Ray Brown - 05 July 2017 at 7:14pm
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 6:56am
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

Just when u think it can't possibly get worse. So now not only commercials and their mercenaries rape our resource but Canadian carpetbaggers as well. Abandon ship boys. I'm off to fish in LA and FL where they have fish and some sense.

The real carpet baggers are the Republicans in leadership positions. Almost none of them are from around here. 
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:49am
"Republicans, too, must suffer the burning when they meet their match." From "Satan: Discourses on My Friends in Politics." Too bad us mortals must be satisfied with effigies.
V/H Dog
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 23Mako 23Mako wrote:

Just when u think it can't possibly get worse. So now not only commercials and their mercenaries rape our resource but Canadian carpetbaggers as well. Abandon ship boys. I'm off to fish in LA and FL where they have fish and some sense.

The real carpet baggers are the Republicans in leadership positions. Almost none of them are from around here. 

Pet peeve of mine that I hear WAY too much... Welcome to the United States. We are allowed to travel and live in different parts of the country. NC is a part of the US. It won a war in the 1780's to become a part, and lost a war in the 1860's that ensured it stayed a part of the US.

Where someone was born has absolutely zero impact to their value to society or the validity of their opinion. If you believe differently, please feel free to move to a country that doesn't allow the free travel of citizens within it's borders. I think North Korea qualifies.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 4:45pm
Oh for goodness sakes. It's about people who do not care about resource health and sustainability but how much they can profit from them before they collapse. If they are natives or carpetbaggers I hold them in the same regard. Read some history about carpetbaggers and maybe you'll get it. Take a powder or something.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 5:06pm
The real issue is not where someone is from, but perhaps having a history with our sounds and rivers and what they once were.

People who came here in the last twenty years never saw our sounds when they were teeming with more life than they are now thus they tend to think that what we have is what it is capable of. It isn't so.

Perhaps it is never going to be the same, but Florida is literally rimmed by high rise after hi rise and within the shadow of those buildings remains a fishery where an average guy who fishes a handful of times per year can still find enough abundance to catch something wherever he or she finds a place to fish. That is what NC is missing. The offshore fishery is not so bad, but it is the inside fishery that once was available to folks on small boats, from docks, from the shore on the sounds to the surf and from a pier that is missing, also including the folks who sit on an inverted five gallon bucket and enjoy watching time move along. They are the ones that have been truly short changed and who is championing for them? It's bad enough that their license money has been misspent, it is truly depressing that those who they send to Raleigh to protect their quality of life have sold it to the highest bidder.

Edited by Ray Brown - 06 July 2017 at 5:08pm
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
ncshellfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:10pm
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:43pm
i'm confused. Fishing guides catch fish. Piers say they are catching fish. The disappointing thing about this website is that the agenda is all that matters.

Harry Brown and fish pens. I believe that the White Oak and New River have too many freshwater events to raise marine fish. The water boils in the summertime so it has no oxygen carrying capacity.

Im not kidding maybe someone wants to grow oyster toads, or grow a forage fish to feed a marketable fish. some thing for the pharmaceutical industry. The possibilities are endless. 

I have rented the hatchery at Bear Creek. I hope to be setting eyed larvae this fall and doing spawns next spring. Put the word out. Brad
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:33pm
Brad...SB 410 specifically says they can raise non native species. Any chance fast growing species like California Sea bass could show up here?

And good luck to you on your venture.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:45pm
Thank you Ray

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 10:35pm
Ray, I just read SB410, maybe I overlooked it but I see no reference to non native species. What i do see is a 5acre lease being over 1000 dollars a year. 

Maybe current Stump Sound leaseholders are trying to discourage new entrants.

Brad

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 11:28pm
The final bill seemed to drop some terms, but when passed it says this which is the same thing.

3) Marine aquatic species. – Any species of finfish, mollusk, crustacean, or other aquatic invertebrate, amphibian, reptile, or aquatic plant, and including, but not limited to, "fish" and "fishes," as defined in G.S. 113-129(7), found exclusively or for part of its life cycle in coastal fishing waters.

It doesn't say anywhere that "coastal fishing waters" is restricted to NC so any saltwater animal, fish, it plant from anywhere in the world is acceptable.

Edited by Ray Brown - 07 July 2017 at 8:33am
Stump1187 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stump1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by ncshellfish ncshellfish wrote:

i'm confused. Fishing guides catch fish. Piers say they are catching fish. The disappointing thing about this website is that the agenda is all that matters.

Equating catching fish to stable stocks like this is quite dumb to be completely honest.   
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:51am
Stump

I honestly believe that water quality is the big issue here. I don't know anything about GenX and the Cape Fear River but I,m pretty sure the impact is not positive.

Spotted shrimp have all but disappeared but were replaced with huge white shrimp. If you could explain that then maybe I could explain weakfish.

Will eliminating commercial benefit the rec, sure it will, but I doubt you're going out and buy a new boat to catch those few extra fish a year.

I was funning about piers and fishing guides. I was trolling for Ray who for my own reasons that I respect. The wiley one got away and all i snagged was a stump.

Brad

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 8:47am
Brad..

Catching fish is one of the easiest things in life to do. These are wild animals constantly on the move in search of food. The three step process is very simple. Presentation,vicinity, and inducement. In other words, one has to properly present a lure in the vicinity of a fish and then induce them to bite. What is going to happen when you put something that looks like food in front of a hungry animal? Eeeze peasy!

When fish were abundant in NC, anyone could put that together any old time. As fish have gotten more scarce the hardest part of the equation is truly "vicinity". And that's where guides come in that are on the water daily. If they are good they are keeping up with the vicinity.

Because if truth be told an inducement by a cane pole to a hungry school of fish is just as effective as a $500 fly rod.

Location remains the hardest part and without abundance it becomes even more critical. With management for abundance, fish are more spread out and "vicinity" is no longer so critical in the process.

The best fishermen have always been the ones who could determine vicinity. The other two elements are so easy anyone can do it including six year olds. Even Presidents learned to do it. :-)

Which brings us back to where we started. It is not about whether one is a good fisherman or not, because two parts of a three part equation are so easy that we all are equal. The third part is the real key and either you are on the water so much you keep up with the fish as guides do, or we have to have management for abundance so that people of average intelligence and enough time can find the vicinity in a half day of fishing.

You realize I am describing perhaps the main reason so many want reform. Scarcity makes a whole day of vicinity search necessary at time for the masses and older ones like me know that it was not always this way.   

Edited by Ray Brown - 07 July 2017 at 12:57pm
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

Originally posted by 23Mako 23Mako wrote:

Pet peeve of mine that I hear WAY too much... Welcome to the United States. We are allowed to travel and live in different parts of the country. NC is a part of the US. It won a war in the 1780's to become a part, and lost a war in the 1860's that ensured it stayed a part of the US.

Where someone was born has absolutely zero impact to their value to society or the validity of their opinion. If you believe differently, please feel free to move to a country that doesn't allow the free travel of citizens within it's borders. I think North Korea qualifies.

My apologies Moose. All I mean from this is that I believe it is easier for someone to sell to the highest bidder if they don't have an emotional attachment to anything (or in my over simplified mind if they ain't from here! Wink). I guess by carpet bagger here I mean some dumb arse who can't appreciate a pretty sunset on the sound, being in the woods when the day begins, or feeling that indescribable tug on the end of a line! I just get pissed about how we constantly get the back end of any sort of fisheries reform. I am an NC Sportsman ready for a change!
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:40am
Sorry for being thin skinned.... I do face that style of comment too much and that particular day, I probably over-reacted. Been in NC since 96, and I chose to spend my life here, had two children here, and no plans to live anywhere else. So I get a bit frustrated when I run into those (and they do exist) who dismiss me as not being from "around here".
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 11:42am
Born here or not born here; either way we need some representatives who will look at the facts and situations for themselves, versus "forming" an opinion based solely on the yapping of industry mouthpieces. All you have to do with HB867 is answer the question of "why?". Why do other folks feel it is necessary to introduce such a bill? What has happened or is happening to cause such a bill? Get those answers, take the necessary action, and then you get a plan where the fish stocks managed by North Carolina are in great shape and we get a lot more for the money we spend. 

Also, answer the "why?" question for the sudden desire to change the makeup of the MFC.  

Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 12:21pm
Moose that qualifies u as a 'naturalized Southerner'. My original "carpetbagger" comment referred to those who come here to exploit our resources for profit. Florida netters come to mind.
"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic