FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ocracoke Saturday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishing fever View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ocracoke Saturday
    Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:48am
Made the run across the sound. First time in my boat. Got over and out no problem with the help of my friend I was following. Headed for the rockpile. Stopped at the Abrams. Friend about 2 miles ahead also stopped. Lines out just started to settle in and bam. Nice gaffer.circled a few time with nothing. Turned west towards some bottom contours. Found a slick.not really any weeds but full of jellyfish, flyers,minnows. Got couple more there. Then it happens. Planner rod starts screaming. Now the drag is locked down,first time I have had something do this. My guest does nice job bring the monster to the boat. Standing there looking at this thing. Adrenaline kicks in minds rushing thinking let's get a second gaff ready. But I blew it fish is right there. So I gaff it . Big mistake. Shot was to far back sticking him behind mid way. got his head down going nuts guess passes the rod back just as I'm about to lose the gaff to this thing. Now 2 of us on the gaff trying to pull him over the rail. Just as he's coming over the gaff rips out. Gone. Never felt that bad about losing a fish before. Over 6 foot weight? I've caught fish in the 50s and he was way bigger. Still kicking myself. . Well the other 2 boats we were with weren't doing any thing and show up just as the bite slows. Most bites from 9 to 10.30. Did manage couple more bite but slow. Ending with 4 gaffers 1 small king one break off (old line )1 pulled the hook.one broke my heart. Guest were great sports about the whole thing.   Tip of the day listen to your gut.a second gaff was needed and right there.

Edited by fishing fever - 04 June 2017 at 3:04pm
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 8:16pm
It happens to everyone sooner or later,something else will come your way
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic