FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing etiquette?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dog Daze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing etiquette?
    Posted: 03 June 2017 at 9:44pm
I was trolling along today and found some fishing floats on 100 foot piece of thick rope. The day has been really slow for us and I made sure I drug the baits as close to the floats as I could. We were immediately rewarded with a triple hook up, and put all three fish in the boat. When we hooked up I was the only boat in sight. I immediately turned around after we got all our fish in the boat and went back to drag the floats again, only to find a small center console pulled up next to it and pitching Bait at the floats. There was plenty of room to drag down the opposite side of the floats, when the one man in the center console started waving his arms, and screaming and yelling at me like I was encroaching on him. And I was the one that found the floats. For one of the rare times in my life I used common sense and just trolled on by because I didn't want to ruin the nice day by stroking out, and getting my blood pressure up. I'm just curious, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had joined in the trolling pattern, but I thought it was kind of ballyhooty for him to just pull up and take possession of the floats. Any opinions?
47 Buddy Davis "Wet Dream"
fishing fever View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:15am
Your the Maan as usual. Tough when others are such asses. But you took the high road. Thanks for your support in the madd.
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:32am
Such a shame when "common sense" just becomes COMMON and SENSE leaves the building!Censored  You did the right thing.Clap

Good Fishing!!!
Dog Daze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 7:45am
If I hadn't had young servicemembers out looking for a good time, and had my usual crew on board I might not have reacted the way that I did
CAPT PICKLE View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPT PICKLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:39am
You had a bigger boat and the military with ya i think i would have worked him offWink

Edited by CAPT PICKLE - 04 June 2017 at 10:41am
kmacker69 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacker69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 12:54pm
We all are getting soft hearted in our advancing age I guess.  I tend to just cuss under my breath and move on anymore.  When the guy started acting up though, all bets might have been off.  Wink
Hoo-King'em Again,
Scott

Scott
Fish Angel View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 1:08pm
Hopefully, Karma will take care of it! Good karma that was earned by Dog Daze and a well desired less than good karma for that other guy. 
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 10:22pm
Great job, Mark.  Great to see you Friday. 

Was cleaning fish Sat but troops brought me back one of those awesome pork chops.  Big smile
Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
Bite Me 05 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bite Me 05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Dog Daze Dog Daze wrote:

If I hadn't had young servicemembers out looking for a good time, and had my usual crew on board I might not have reacted the way that I did
I'm not really sure how to take that Ouch
fiogf49gjkf0d
Support your local hooker
ABFisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 10:56am
You are probably correct in right versus wrong for that particular guy doing what he did (especially knowing what kind of life objects like that provide for the food chain offshore)    I will say that for us folks with Center Consoles its the opposite mindset while fishing inshore.   Ie working schools of fish by casting 'instead' of trolling through...   just a thought.

Additionally, what is with the attitudes of people 'offshore' that talk about smaller boats or CCs like we are the slum of the earth?    with all the radio talk out there this weekend you would think the captains of anyone that didnt have a 40ft plus Sportfisher didnt deserve to be there and was considered a dingbatter, stupid, a weekend warrior, etc.     Yes, i did make it offshore in a 20ft CC (it was slick calm Fri/Sat) on Friday and we boated a 50lb wahoo and 21 Mahi.     I know knowledge levels can vary a great degree but the whole attitude that its a big boat world out there just kills me.     Like you though, I always keep my mouth shut and move along.      People sure do talk big behind radios and keyboards.

ABfisher

Pioneer 197 Yamaha F150

Fuquay-Varina -- Atlantic Beach

CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 3:16pm
I've gotten the hey small boat get out of my way attitude as well,bigger boat doesn't make you a better fisherman or sportsman,if I could get out as far as some of the big boats I would not have any trouble out fishing a lot of folks.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 6:16pm
"When we hooked up I was the only boat in sight. I immediately turned around after we got all our fish in the boat and went back to drag the floats again, only to find a small center console pulled up next to it and pitching Bait at the floats."

If there were no other boats in sight when you hooked up, maybe he thought that he was the one who found it. Not taking sides, or saying that you both couldn't have fished it, just giving the first explanation that popped into my mind.  Were they mahi?
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Bite Me 05 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bite Me 05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 7:51pm
How did this turn into a big boat versus little boat thing? Wow.......
fiogf49gjkf0d
Support your local hooker
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Bite Me 05 Bite Me 05 wrote:

How did this turn into a big boat versus little boat thing? Wow.......
Absolutely right on with that comment! 
ABFisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Dog Daze Dog Daze wrote:

When we hooked up I was the only boat in sight. I immediately turned around after we got all our fish in the boat and went back to drag the floats again, only to find a small center console pulled up next to it and pitching Bait at the floats.  Any opinions?

My fault for hijacking but it was based on the 'small boats' comment and that was fresh on my mind after a weekend of hearing it on the radio..    my apologies.
ABfisher

Pioneer 197 Yamaha F150

Fuquay-Varina -- Atlantic Beach

swordfish11 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:04am
And that's why you don't see me on here anymore
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 12:28pm
Yea I fish a small boat and have more trouble with other smalls then the big boys
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 2:44pm
Well hell we see you now !
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by CapRandy CapRandy wrote:

I think that is his point. Why would you even post something like this ?
dale ty View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by CapRandy CapRandy wrote:

I'm like Swordfish. I read the posts but don't post much anymore.
2300CC Key West Bluewater Twin 115 Yami's Raleigh/Atlantic Beach"DIRTY D"
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 8:30pm
Ignore CapEeyore. Wink
Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 9:06am
Enough lets move on
Dog Daze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 3:58pm
Having owned both center consoles, and bigger offshore boats, I know that the center consuls continually watch the charter boats to see if and when they hook up. That's just the fact, I used to do it when I ran the center console. Then as soon as they see a larger boat stop, indicating they are hooked up they tend to swarm. In this particular case I couldn't see any boats, and you can see a bigger boat at a further distance than you can see a center console. It also takes a lot more distance and space to turn a bigger boat to get back to a spot if you locate one. And in reguards to your comment about smaller boats stopping and fishing, on that particular day everyone was trolling and he just wormed in on a piece of scripture that I located. And personally, I just feel that's wrong. My post was not intended to be a big boat versus small boat comment, more on the guy just stopping on a piece of structure that I found. If I happen to find a floating Oak tree, and hook up the fish on it, it's gonna take me a quarter-mile or maybe a little more turn around and come back to it. If I turn around and come back to it and some guy is anchored on it it's going to get my blood pressure up a little bit. Like I said it would've been fine with me If he joined in on the trolling pattern, but I just felt him stopping on it and then yelling and screaming at me when I turned around and came back to it was wrong. Just my opinion.

Edited by Dog Daze - 11 June 2017 at 4:01pm
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 11:32am
Yea,its a big ocean
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 7:19am
We don't all learn in the same schools.   This guy probably spends more time fishing for bass, where to him, you would have been in the wrong... You fished it, you left, he moves in to fish it, you come back... He might not even have realized you were the same boat if he was focussed on anchoring....Different backgrounds give different understandings of the same moment.

As I know nothing about trolling, I would likely have made a similar assumption and actions. It's likely that your assumptions were correct and his wrong

But my opinion has little bearing here, you're never going to see my kayak off shore like that, and I'm done with power boats and their endless repairs.  So my lack of knowledge won't impact anyone.
kmacker69 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacker69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

We don't all learn in the same schools.   This guy probably spends more time fishing for bass, where to him, you would have been in the wrong... You fished it, you left, he moves in to fish it, you come back... He might not even have realized you were the same boat if he was focussed on anchoring....Different backgrounds give different understandings of the same moment.

As I know nothing about trolling, I would likely have made a similar assumption and actions. It's likely that your assumptions were correct and his wrong

But my opinion has little bearing here, you're never going to see my kayak off shore like that, and I'm done with power boats and their endless repairs.  So my lack of knowledge won't impact anyone.

Learn the rules of the road in the area you fish...  43 miles off shore is not bass fishing!  Would you fish in the middle of Beaufort inlet in your kayak?  (I hope not!)

Hoo-King'em Again,
Scott

Scott
kmacker69 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacker69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 2:03pm
I think he was yapping at me DD, but that dog don't hunt either!  I'm a private fisherman who fishes a CC...  (And a retired Marine, who had a few for them boys last night.)  BTW DD is Retired Army so maybe you should just figure out who the heck you're yappin' at before you start calling any of us punks!  SMDH!Ermm

Edited by kmacker69 - 18 June 2017 at 8:49pm
Hoo-King'em Again,
Scott

Scott
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 6:38pm
Little cleaning and no disrespect to any posters who had deletions.  Thanks for understanding.

Good Fishing!!!
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Chuck Laughridge Chuck Laughridge wrote:

Little cleaning and no disrespect to any posters who had deletions.  Thanks for understanding.

Good Fishing!!!
Thank you!
kmacker69 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmacker69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 8:50pm
Mine seems silly now so if you kill it also that will be fine... 

Hoo-King'em Again,
Scott

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic