FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoking Outboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking Outboard
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:00pm
I have a 1997 Evinrude Oceanpro 150, it has started to smoke,it uses more gas and oil than it use to,my question is what do you think is the problem,VRO has never been changed,carbs never rebuild,its had a tune up and has had thermostats changed. Its a older motor but I cannot afford a repower or a deal on one anyway,so what do you guys think ?
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:26pm
Couple cans of sea foam in three gallons gas. Run rest run.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:36pm
I have used fuel treatments but it still smokes
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 1:01pm
No more ideas or suggestions,guess ya'll catching to many fish
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 9:17pm
Disconnect the fuel tank and the VRO, mix up a portable 6 gallon tank of 50:1 using premium oil, and see if it smokes on that.  If not, you're probably oiling too heavily. 
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Mechanic Bob View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mechanic Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 7:17am
Have you changed brands of oil? I tried Pensoil one time and I promise there where no bugs within 5 miles of me because of the smoke.

I would do what Glacierbaze suggested.
fiogf49gjkf0d
#8 weight and I can't wait
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 11:37am
Changed out the VRO pump,not as much smoke but still some,I sarted using 360 marine fuel treatment as well and I think that helps some,I have been using the Walmart brand injection oil but I think I will change that and try something new to see what happens ?
gulfstream View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulfstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 12:01pm
Would not recommend using cheap oil.  Stick with name brand stuff.   
Gulf
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:40pm
When I was running two-strokes, I religiously de-carbed as part of my annual spring maintenance. 

Seafoam, bottle and spray can!  Do what GB said above but then go a step further and pour a can of Seafoam into the 6-gal tank and run it through.

Better yet, first remove your cowling and get the engine warm and slightly above idle.  Spray Seafoam into each carb throat (remove cover, move back and forth between throats) until the engine just about chokes down.  Allow the engine to catch-up and then on the final spray allow the engine to choke out.  Let it sit for thirty minutes.  Crank it up and then in a high idle let it burn the de-carb residue out.  It will smoke like heck.  Then as Tom said, run the 3-gallon tank gas mixed with 50:1 oil and a bottle of Seafoam through it.  Change your spark plugs and be done until you winterize it with fogging oil.  Next spring repeat the process.

OMC made a can of de-carb with a special fitting that connects to a valve stem at the manual primer lever.  It did the same thing as spraying into the carb throats but did it direct.  Hit it until it almost chokes down, let it catch up and then on the final spray as the can empties out hit it hard enough to choke it down.  Follow the procedures above.

Also, make sure the manual primer lever in not partially engaged.  If memory serves me, the lever should be pointing down (6-o'clock) in the run position.  If you're running with it up or partially engaged it's just like over-choking any other engine, rough and smoke.  A power pack going bad will also give an inadequate spark for complete fuel burn, rough and smoke.

For what it's worth, after paying for a re-build due to a bad VRO pump, I plugged the VRO line by cutting it and sticking a piece of a stainless steel bolt smooth shank into the ends and hose clamping both sides.  I went to premixing 50:1 with the gas.  The older VROs had no warning horn.  Later there was a low tank sensor, but no low-flow sensor.  It's possible the later versions had low-flow sensors. 

Edited by Rick - 10 July 2017 at 4:05pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by gulfstream gulfstream wrote:

Would not recommend using cheap oil.  Stick with name brand stuff.   

Agree. 

Most of the shops had bulk oil that you could buy with a bring your own jug deal.  With so few 2-strokes around now that may not be the case now.

I'd feel comfortable running Pennzoil from Walmart.  Walmart also carries QuickSilver or did.

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 6:11pm
Thanks
Mechanic Bob View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mechanic Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:24am
Also once you decarb it, you may want to pull the plugs as I have seen it loosen so much carbon, it fouled one of the four plugs.

But I rather smoke a Beef Brisket than a Motor. But that is me! Tongue
fiogf49gjkf0d
#8 weight and I can't wait
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic