FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NC Catch Board Members-Part II (Heidi Smith)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NC Catch Board Members-Part II (Heidi Smith)
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:29am
Heidi Jernigan Smith doesn't look good at all wearing false indignation.

For those there or listening to yesterday's MFC meeting, Heidi Jernigan Smith was one of about six people who gave public comment.  Smith was passionate, almost emotional, in her comment with a direct vilified tirade against Commissioner Laughridge.

It seems Smith wrote a letter to all commissioners and received two responses in return, one from Commissioner Rose and one from Commissioner Laughridge.  The facts of the matter show that Ms. Smith used her official Carteret County school system email address to write her letter to the commissioners.  While Ms. Smith indicated that Commissioner Rose's reply was cordial and appropriate, Smith felt "threaten and intimidated" by Commissioner Laughridge's reply.  Laughridge asked Ms. Smith if her email was a personal submission or an official Carteret County School system submission, a reasonable question.  Ms. Smith feigned personal offense that Laughridge was trying to "intimidate" her given the fact that she had inappropriately used her official school system email address for non-official business.

Let's really look at who's trying to intimidate whom!

First, Heidi Jernigan Smith didn't come clean with all of the facts in this matter.  It's standard practice and decorum at all public comment periods for speakers to identify themselves and state any official positions that they hold in organizations with fisheries related interest.  David Sneed (CCA) and David Knight (NCWF) followed the rules of decorum, and honesty, when they gave public comment.

Heidi Jernigan Smith is President of NC Catch and failed to identify herself as such.

Why? 

It was a pure intimidation attempt against Commissioner Laughridge.  Identifying herself as President of NC Catch would not be as strong a message as being just an "aggrieved" citizen.

Now, let's look at the 2nd thing Heidi Jernigan Smith did for the purpose of intimidating Commissioner Laughridge.  She is part of the commercial fishing groups that have requested all emails from select commissioners under FOIA.  She personally went through those emails looking for her emails sent to Laughridge to see if he had provided those under the FOIA request.

Pure intimidation.

Status quo for the commercial fishing industry-  Deny, Defend, Deflect, Delay, Intimidate, Delay, Intimidate, Delay....

PLEASE- call, write, email, personally go see your state and federal representatives.  We need all tax funding for NC Catch and Sea Grant stopped.

From my previous post on January 25th, 2017

http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79991&title=nc-catch-board-members-what-an-incestuous-bunch

Another example of the incestuous relationship between SeaGrant, NCDMF, NCDA&CS and our research universities that is preventing proper resource management.  Everyone is scratching each others backs.

No one is minding the cash register while our important stocks are being depleted.

Has anybody ever looked at these board members.  Loaded up with SeaGrant, NCDMF and NCDA&CS.

Mikki Sager is interesting-  Conservation Fund.

http://www.conservationfund.org/our-experts/mikki-sager

Does Mikki have a clue that she's supporting unsustainable gear and practices?  Does she understand the issues associated with bycatch?

Maybe she doesn't understand what NC Catch really supports.  Send her an email and let her know-   msager@conservationfund.org

Ann Simpson is interesting also-  http://ncseagrant.ncsu.edu/about-us/advisory-board/ann-cary-simpson/

"Simpson served in communications and fundraising positions with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, The Nature Conservancy, N.C. Environmental Defense Fund, the national Wetlands America program of Ducks Unlimited and UNC-TV. She currently serves on the board of the N.C. Coastal Land Trust."

What in the world does a nice lady like Ann with all those stellar credentials not understand about unsustainable catch.

Please help her understand- acsimpson944@gmail.com

Here goes the "farm" crowd thinking unsustainable wild-caught gathering is farming.

I'm sure John Day is a nice guy at NCSU-  http://cefs.ncsu.edu/about-us/contacts/  but shrimping just ain't farming...unless those guys think bycatch should be regulated as "agricultural waste" under the Clean Water Act.

John probably needs a better understanding of  the bycatch issue-    jdday@ncsu.edu

Don't waste you're time trying to reach John Aydlett.  He's busy going to meetings speaking against the petition and running a highly successful real estate business all while being employed by NCDA & CS.  You can try him here  john.aydlett@ncagr.gov 

but I'd probably go here instead-  Joe.Sanderson@ncagr.gov

or Call Commissioner Troxler at (919) 707-3021  or email  steve.troxler@ncagr.gov

You can find other emails in this link.  You should really google some of those names.  You just might have business relations with one or two of them.

http://www.nccatch.org/pages/our-board

More evidence of the incestuous relationship between those who should be monitoring and those being regulated and those that should just focus on their own area of employment within state government.

Why are members of executive branch agencies actively fighting/lobbying against much needed change being considered by an executive branch commission?

Edited by Rick - 18 June 2017 at 3:16am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:13pm
A CORRECTION IS IN ORDER ------ I REMEMBERED THE EMAIL AND THOUGHT MS SMITH WAS A CARTERET COUNTY SCHOOL EMPLOYEE, WHICH WAS MY FAULT DURING PUBLIC COMMENT.  I WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHO SHE WAS HAD I AND THE COMMISSION  BEEN PRESENTED WITH THE EMAIL PRIOR TO HER COMMENT, WE WERE NOT.

THE EMAIL/S ARE PUBLIC RECORD AND ARE BELOW:

Tideland EMC <tidelandemc2016@gmail.com>

Jan 22
to samjcorbett3captgorgesmfccaptjoemfcmerds.mfcjanetrosemfcamikewickerbkoury2awillis.mfctim.moorephil.berger

I am a NC seafood consumer with no familial ties to commercial fishing. I no longer own a boat (thank the Lord….the only person happy in that relationship was the boat mechanic). I now confine myself to kayaking the Pamlico and Tar rivers or the Pamlico Sound off Ocracoke Island. I attended Tuesday’s hearing in New Bern and was quite frankly appalled as an environmentalist that the SELC and NCWF presented such a lousy case for their petition which would destroy the livelihoods of many of my fellow citizens. Environmentalism begins and ends with science. Period. The SELC and NCWF simply shrugged off their lack of any scientific or economic data. I honestly couldn’t believe I heard a college educated man say time and time again, “We just want baby fish to grow up to become big fish so they can enjoy their full mature lives.” Really? Tell that to a blue crab. Or a skate. Or a shark. Or one of those massive blue catfish that are now invading our waters and vacuuming up everything in sight.

The SELC and NCWF have purposely turned a blind eye to things like climate change, warming ocean temperatures, water quality, loss of habitat, and pollution that is largely generated upstream and collects in our estuarine system like a toilet bowl. And for the SELC attorney to say with a straight face that the NCWF does not propose any reductions to trawling in the Albemarle Sound is almost laughable except it reflects a complete and utter lack of respect for facts or science or just something as simple as a Google search…….because there is no trawling in the Albemarle Sound.

Since the meeting, I have located and read the bulk of Dr. Rebecca Deehr’s published work “Measuring the Ecosystem Impacts of Commercial Shrimp Trawling and other Fishing Gear in Core Sound, NC Using Ecological Network Analysis.” A Dr. Joseph Luczkovich officially entered that 410-page work into the record on Tuesday. It is quite troubling to me as an environmentalist and conservationist that the SELC and NCWF would ignore such research seemingly because it does not support their desire to end NC shrimping.

But what is most troubling is that the petitioners would so grossly overlook the current BRD study. Even more troubling is that the NCWF would not help fund that research. I think it is clear that bycatch reduction is not the NCWF's priority but rather a means to an end to relegate NC’s coastal waters to a country club which only they can play in. 

It should give me some small measure of comfort I suppose to see so few among the NCWF membership support the petition. Even their social media outlets show a complete and utter lack of interest in the pursuit of this petition. 

Denying this petition is the proper course of action. Not dong so will morally bankrupt the FMP process and the NCMFC as well. And then we can return to the day of legislative control of fisheries policy making and oh my, won't that be fun. 

Heidi Smith

101 Finwick Drive

Bath, NC 27808

Chuck Laughridge <sobxl1@gmail.com>

Jan 22
to Tideland
My thanks for your comments.  One quick question, are these the comments from Tideland EMC or your personal ones.  Thanks again.

Good Fishing!!!
Chuck L

Tideland EMC <tidelandemc2016@gmail.com>

Jan 24
to me
Dear Mr. Laughridge,
These are my personal comments and are not generated using my employer's email. My employer has not been asked to, nor would I expect them to, take a position on the NCWF petition. 

Thank you for your service to what must be a time consuming and often thankless effort. All have my respect no matter the outcome. 
A friend, Jennifer Alligood, who sits on the NCWF board has a very different viewpoint on this issue and I hugged her last week after her testimony before the advisory committees because there is already way too much contentiousness in fisheries management. The young man that was with her and also spoke in favor of the petition is leading a grassroots political action program that I am already registered to participate in because we have common ground on another issue. There is certainly no sense in losing good friends because we don't always agree 100% on everything. My hope is for better dialogue and collaboration in all things....not such issues related to public trust resources.
Sincerely, 
Heidi

Chuck Laughridge <sobxl1@gmail.com>

Jan 24
to Tideland
I agree, and I simply asked because your email is Tideland EMC and I already reminded a Carterest Co teacher that perhaps he should use a personal email.

Since this is obviously yours, I sent a question that would have been followed by a polite warning, nothing more or less.  Thanks for your comment and the clarification on the email.

Good Fishing!!!
Chuck L
Click here to Reply or Forward

Edited by Chuck Laughridge - 18 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 4:46pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
penfish2 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penfish2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:53am
Can't imagine how Heidi Smith could intimidate Chuck. Just a matter of her flying under false colors (we are used to that tactic), trying to disguise her post as President of NC Catch, then she tacked to port, but Chuck anticipated and tacked left to keep her broadside and brought his guns to bear -- although as a southern gentleman, he held his fire with the usual hope of good fishing (pass the gill nets, please).....the SELC has it right this time, siding with the group trying to protect a helplessly valuable state saltwater treasure....it is puzzling, though, that with her background, Ann Simpson is part of the NCFA's Jolly Roger crew. Former DMF employee Jess Hawkins' course has been known for ages, and I guess Pat Smith has been indoctrinated to follow the aft stern light of the SS Schill in fog-shrouded waters. 
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
* Henry David Thoreau
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by penfish2 penfish2 wrote:

Can't imagine how Heidi Smith could intimidate Chuck.

Agreed on that point, but the intent goes well beyond Chuck.  Attacking Chuck acts as a surrogate intimidation of other pro-resource voices. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:07am
Couching nasty in parliamentary terms is probably fun for the public speaker, but damn, we're beset by r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d malevolent plants instated by the ELECTRIC COOP?   If you have any truck with the tideland coop, (such as, are you a member? ), then tell the comptroller, personally, how much you enjoy his/ her enabling of Heidi Smith to guide us under their auspices toward a future where fish might issue purely from her nether cleavages as needed on a basis to be determined HOW?, dear comptroller?

Edited by cnaff - 19 May 2017 at 10:09am
V/H Dog
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:12pm
I get tired of everyone telling lies and misrepresenting themselves as something they are usually not, many thinking they are better than someone else and thinking they know what's best for the resource and at the same time killing it like commercial fishermen and their crony supporters who back them without even thinking about what they are backing them for, dealing with boards or anyone with a little power is a effort in futility and sort of like dealing with those who think they have the power over people like a King, why is it that majority of little people suffer from the stupidity of a handful of hand picked yes men, who will do whatever they have to do to keep things the way they have always been regardless of the out come, maybe we should just let them kill off the resource and be done with them that way.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:20am
Rat her out to the comptroller. The electric coop will use all the complaints as the means by which her effusive use of subsidized gas lighting the members pay for will be recognized in the light plant of reality. "You has pizzed-off the membership. whut must we do with YEW?" Oh, but the tideland body of contented electric members may well lack the wherewithal to mount such an obvious campaign. Is this because they, as an organization, would prefer Heidi determine the trajectory of their fisheries thrust? Doubtful, but possible. A large number of members belong to the coop because they must, in order to receive power in their homes. BUT, Heidi nonetheless has promulgated the top-down view of fisheries exploitation we live under here in feudal NC. Electric coop regulatory capture of the comptroller, who would appear now to equally support miss smith's vibrant views of who controls the resource?
V/H Dog
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:22pm
cnaff.  Start a petition, you might find a number of folks that supported your thesis.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic