FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE BILL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE BILL
    Posted: 20 April 2017 at 4:08pm

Good Fishing!!!

Edited by Chuck Laughridge - 20 April 2017 at 4:14pm
MegaHurts View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegaHurts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 4:48pm
If you have ever wanted to do your part to save NC fisheries...NOW is the time!

Let your legislators know that you need their support for HB 867, The COASTAL FISHERIES CONSERVATION AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ACT.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 5:05pm
I like it. Go big. Hope the money pushes it.
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:13pm
Someone has obviously put alot of thought and effort in this Bill. I hope it goes somewhere promising.
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 8:55am
OK, I am a little slower this morning but can someone explain with Cliff Notes. Look like putting economics into fisheries management and by the way I am looking at it give the MFC the ability to manage gears due to bycatch. Is that the gist or am I missing more.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:31am
I also could definitely use some "cliff's notes" as I'm still trying to understand it.

My main question is -  will there be any change in the MFC make-up or appointment process?

Will it remain 2 rec, 1 rec industry, 3 comm, 2 at-large, and 1 scientist?  And will all 9 come from the governor?

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
bizzyb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bizzyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

I also could definitely use some "cliff's notes" as I'm still trying to understand it.

My main question is -  will there be any change in the MFC make-up or appointment process?

Will it remain 2 rec, 1 rec industry, 3 comm, 2 at-large, and 1 scientist?  And will all 9 come from the governor?

Nothing will change with the makeup of the MFC. Fight the battles you might win.
"Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 10:46am
Can't win if you don't fight. Times are changing and this archaic organization structured primarily to protect commercial fishing interests should be reorganized to first protect the resource instead. We might not have the votes yet, but we're right, and eventually we will. More and more people are starting to realize that as the light of truth is shone on how DMF has been run & how MFC & ACs have been gerrymandered in the past to achieve a pro-commercial outcome. That's why the bycatch petition was such a watershed event, even though it has achieved no tangible benefits yet. That vote would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago. Don't need to win every battle. Just the war.   
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 11:09am
To make it somewhat easier to decipher there are three points to remember as you read.

1) The majority of what you see is existing law and is printed here verbatim of what exists now.

2) Any word, phrase, or sentence, that contains a line through it is being replaced or omitted. If it is being replaced, the new wording will immediately follow the portion being struck. If it has a line through it and nothing follows it then it is being omitted from the law.

3) Any word, phrase, or sentence that is underlined is proposed new regulations.

Understanding these three points allows one to see the proposed changes that this bill proposes, fairly quickly.

Edited by Ray Brown - 21 April 2017 at 11:10am
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
olsaltydog View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsaltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 11:36am
I understood that portion Ray and thanks for the reminder. I am a little unfocused these days due to long hours at work but that is why I was asking.

This part being one.

Conservation and management decisions shall be fair and equitable to all the people of the State and carried out in such a manner that no individual, corporation, or entity acquires an excessive share of any privileges extended by the State regarding the use of marine and estuarine resources.

Is this asking for stocks to be managed 50/50? Like equal reductions for both sides when done. I am just thinking too much into this or is this actually saying that from here on out, if say a 30% reduction in harvest is required then each sector will see a 15% reduction to meet the 30%? That is why I was asking.

I see another part that looks like it allows the Director to enter into a JEA. I am just asking for clarification. Sometimes I see words interpreted in two ways.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:23pm
Director would be allowed to enter into a JEA contract.

Your "red" comment probably is an attempt to head off "catch shares" that has resulted in Red Snapper Millionaires in the Gulf who get a disproportionate share.

I read this bill and seem to think that the resource will be protected first, and conservation and preservation is given higher priority than harvest. I also read it to say that best economic use of the fishery for the state will take precedent in harvest allocation.

But it was written by a lawyer I suspect, and they always write these things so they can argue it either way making it good for business.
Some trawl operator will be forced to change in order to reduce bycatch. If you worry about that more than stopping the bycatch then the resource is secondary to you. Recovery has one less advocate.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by bizzyb bizzyb wrote:

Nothing will change with the makeup of the MFC. Fight the battles you might win.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The MFC has changed nothing meaningful during my time in this fight (10 years?) so if this bill passes, they seem to get even more power.  So I guess we're going to have more opportunities to write angry letters about them managing fish in a manner that doesn't help?   

With or without this bill, a couple of strongly commercially sympathetic appointees in seats other than commercial seats would give their side 5 votes and ensure status quo for another 3-5 years with the current set-up in MHC.

Maybe we need to fight the battles that we WANT to win.

Edited by bakesta - 21 April 2017 at 3:07pm
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
bizzyb View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bizzyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Originally posted by bizzyb bizzyb wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The MFC has changed nothing meaningful during my time in this fight (10 years?) so if this bill passes, they seem to get even more power.  So I guess we're going to have more opportunities to write angry letters about them managing fish in a manner that doesn't help?   

With or without this bill, a couple of strongly commercially sympathetic appointees in seats other than commercial seats would give their side 5 votes and ensure status quo for another 3-5 years with the current set-up in MHC.

Maybe we need to fight the battles that we WANT to win.

Do you know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time!!
"Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 3:43pm
I'll see your 10 years and raise you 300 percent, and so would many here.  Not being disrespectful or contrary, but you don't get "tenure" or bonuses, even though I'm sure some would welcome time served and immediate parole.  

Some folks are already calling this bill DOA, show em something to prove em wrong baskesta, if not, you're the reason for status quo. Wink

Good Fishing!!!    
mattrich21 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattrich21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 1:56am
If the house majority leader can't get his own bill to the floor for a vote....then we know longer have a bicameral legislature and a few Senators really are calling all the shots.   Godspeed, John Bell!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic