FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cobia???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
toyotajon93 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cobia???
    Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:17am
Hey guys, I know its early in the season but with the water temps any guess to when the cobia may start showing up around Morehead/BArdens? We want to make our first trip this year to target them thinking the 2nd week of May would be perfect. What are the best methods you guys use to catch them around Bardens?
fishing fever View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 5:00pm
Casting large bucktails,swimbaits,eels. To schools of bait or around sea turtles. Bottom cut bait fresher the better. I have had goon luck live poggies on the bottom
You Can,t catch a fish unless your lines in the water ( 21 cuddy cab trophy )Water Bug Also 14 ft John boat
Dog Daze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 6:54pm
Water temps still mid 60's inshore. Another 3 weeks?
47 Buddy Davis "Wet Dream"
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 7:58pm
Cool how do you rig the livies for bottom? carolina rig and a circle hook similar to a drum rig? I hope to see plenty of menhaden to net and use for bait. we have gulp eels didnt may get some live eels at chasin tails. them suckers are expenaive. Is bardens the best place around to really target them? im thinking the beach side heading into bardens.
Cooter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 8:20pm
Try around WR5. Water there is 26 feet deep. Drift fresh cut mullet.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often for the same reason. Mark Twain
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 11:38pm
Like others said fish around baitballs,turtles,schools of rays,buoys,this is done with bucktails,large swimbaits,artifical eels,I like the sun to be up a little higher for this so I can see the Cobia, polarized sunglasses are a must. Fishing live bait,menhaden,small bluefish,pinfish if you cut the spins off,I fish a fishfinder rig with enough weight to hold bottom, circle hook or straight hook whichever you prefer,circle hooks sets the hook for you with your drag locked down, the straight hook you have to do it yourself after you let him run a little,I like to fish deep holes, a edge where it drops off into deep water, Cobia will follow a edge I think,I carry a gaff and a large net,I only keep one a season to eat and the rest get released, I make my own bucktails so I can make the any color,they not to picky but they like certain colors,if your sight fishing do not throw at him,throw in front of him the way hes traveling and if he gets after your bait do not stop it keep reeling,if you stop it he'll not want it.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:56am
Thanks for the advice guys! Where is wr5? i dont k ow the bouys that well, is that the one at end of lookout jetty?
swordfish11 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swordfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:25am
Had a buddy of mine to hook one on a light rod last weekend on the east side of the shoals while fishing for drum/blues. I think he was lost but other species have showed up early this year. usually when you see the bait balls show up the cobia are not far behind.
Cooter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:09am
Follow the channel past the lighthouse headed out. WR5 will be on your right before you make the turn to head to the bight.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often for the same reason. Mark Twain
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:38am
Might be a good time to point out that cobia regs will change May 1st:
(C&P'd from DMF website)

FF-13-2017

PROCLAMATION

RE: COBIA - COASTAL FISHING WATERS – RECREATIONAL AND COMMERCIAL

This implements a recreational minimum size limit of 36 inches fork length and one (1) fish per person per day limit and a four (4) fish per vessel limit if more than four (4) people are on board the vessel. This proclamation closes the recreational cobia season at 12:01 A.M., Friday, September 1, 2017, unless the season is closed earlier by proclamation. It maintains a minimum size limit of 33 inches fork length and a two (2) fish per person per day limit for the commercial fishery. Federal waters are closed for recreational harvest of cobia per NOAA Fisheries Bulletin: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishery_bulletins/2017/004/index.html.

Braxton C. Davis, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M., Monday, May 1, 2017, the following restrictions will apply to the cobia fishery in Coastal Fishing Waters:

I. SUSPENSION OF N.C. MARINE FISHERIES COMMISSION RULE 15A NCAC 03M .0516
N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03M. 0516 that reads as follows is suspended in its entirety:

A. It is unlawful to possess cobia less than 33 inches fork length.

B. It is unlawful to possess more than two (2) cobia per person per day.

II. RECREATIONAL SIZE, SEASON, HARVEST, AND VESSEL LIMITS

A. It is unlawful to possess cobia less than 36 inches fork length.

B. It is unlawful to possess more than one (1) cobia per person per day or four (4) cobia per vessel per day if more than four (4) people are on board the vessel.

C. The season for the recreational harvest of cobia will close at 12:01 A.M., Friday, September 1, 2017 unless closed earlier by proclamation.

III. COMMERCIAL SIZE AND HARVEST LIMIT

A. It is unlawful to possess cobia less than 33 inches fork length.

B. It is unlawful to possess more than two (2) cobia per person per day.

C. It is unlawful to possess a commercial and recreational limit of cobia on the same vessel.

IV. GENERAL INFORMATION

A. This proclamation is issued under the authority of North Carolina G.S. 113-170.4; 113-170.5; 113-182; 113-221.1; 143B-289.52 and North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission Rules 15A NCAC 03H .0103, and 03M .0512.

B. It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the Fisheries Director under his delegated authority pursuant to North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03H .0103.

C. The intent of this proclamation is to manage the cobia fishery in Coastal Fishing Waters and constrain coastwide landings to below the recreational Annual Catch Limit established by NOAA Fisheries for the Atlantic Migratory group of cobia for the 2017 season.

D. All undersized or over limit cobia shall be immediately returned to the waters where taken, regardless of the condition of the fish.

E. The four (4) cobia per vessel per day recreational possession limit includes the captain and the mate.

F. The one fish per person per day recreational possession limit applies to both shore and pier based anglers.

G. The North Carolina Marine Fisheries Commission requests that the length and weight of all cobia harvested from the recreational fishery be reported either at an official North Carolina Citation Weigh Station on a cobia reporting catch card or online at www.ncrecfish.com/cobia via an online catch card reporting form. A comprehensive list of participating weigh stations can be found at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/recreational-fishing-tournaments. For more information on the 2017 Cobia Catch Reporting Program, please contact Steve Poland by phone 252-808-8159 or by email Steve.Poland@ncdenr.gov.

H. In accordance with North Carolina G.S. 113-130 (8) a vessel is defined as every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane on the water, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water.

I. Contact the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries, P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, NC 28557 252-726-7021 or 800-682-2632 for more information or visit the division website at www.ncmarinefisheries.net.

J. In accordance with North Carolina General Statute 113-221.1(c) all persons who may be affected by proclamations issued by the Fisheries Director are under a duty to keep themselves informed of current proclamations.

K. This proclamation implements a recreational minimum size limit of 36 inches fork length and a one (1) fish per person per day limit and a four (4) fish per vessel limit if more than four (4) people are on board the vessel. This proclamation closes the recreational cobia season at 12:01 A.M., Friday, September 1, 2017, unless the season is closed earlier by proclamation. It maintains a minimum size limit of 33 inches fork length and a two (2) fish per person per day limit for the commercial fishery. Federal waters are closed for recreational harvest of cobia per NOAA Fisheries Bulletin: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishery_bulletins/2017/004/index.html.

Braxton signature

Braxton C. Davis, Director
DIVISION OF MARINE FISHERIES

April 10, 2017
1:56 P.M.
FF-13-2017
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 10:37am
Didn't they also close completely all federal waters so if you catch one and head off shore (3 miles) or something that's a big no no? Thanks for the post we were wondering if it had changed from the weird M-W-F rules or whatever it was last year and we didn't end up going.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:05pm
Will anyone check you,I know they will if you have a half naked woman on board but will they
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 10:09pm
Man we get checked and boarded every year it seems. last year had a big big spanish. i told my dad is was a spanish. luckily we kept it, got checked and it was a spanish not a king. haha
stevejrnc View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevejrnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:50pm
little quite here 
2007 176 key west bay reef with poling platform & 115 Yamaha

2016 sea hunt 235se ultra Yamaha 250

bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:23am
That's cuz it's been so windy that very few folks have ventured out the inlets & those that have didn't catch much in those conditions. But they are here. Buddy of mine caught one last week out of Bogue and another buddy got smoked by a big un' who spooled his Abu 6500 off CLO. He brought a knife to a gunfight. If you find a Church's planer board and a Yozuri DD attached to the lip of a big cobe, do the right thing.

Edited by bmac - 08 May 2017 at 8:24am
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:34am
Folks fishing the next few days should be able to give some insights.  Last two weekends kinda tough, but forecast  thru mid-week is definitely fishable.

The fish ARE here, just gotta get the folks at NOAA to give us the launch codes.  ** Last season's pic.

Good Fishing!!! 

Edited by Chuck Laughridge - 08 May 2017 at 10:40am
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyotajon93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:49pm
Coming down next week! Aiming for tue-fri. Hope to catch some of everything! Love seeing the Spanish in
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic