FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cape Hatteras Closures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cape Hatteras Closures
    Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:59pm

From Cape Hatteras Anglers Club:

Early Heads Up!!!

If everything goes as planned with the approval of the powers that exist in the N.P.S main office a modified beach closure will be instituted starting tomorrow ( 03/28/2017 )

This closure will include much of The Point and all of South beach starting at the new closure designation stakes that will be in place by tomorrow morning

An O.R.V access corridor will be established starting just past the Southern end of the new access road that was constructed behind the dunes to eliminate travel problems at the narrows and continue on till reaching the open area of what remains unclosed on The Point.

This closure will result in a closure of approximately 60 to 70 % of The Point area to fishing ,O.R.V use and pedestrian access.

These closures were necessitated by two pair of pre nesting Oyster Catchers.

There will also be no pedestrian access either by walking in the shallow water of the surf line or on the sand area below the tide lines of either the O.R.V corridor area or the South Beach Area.

If the powers to be fail to approve this closure in full we will update you as info becomes available!

Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:25am
Had to know it was coming -fishing time is here.
themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:52am
I get SLIGHTLY the closure to ORV.  I think it extreme, but I get how it can be a problem as there are always a few who drive like idiots and ignore dunes/fences/whatever.

But I don't get how pedestrians can be a problem...Anyone willing to walk a mile or two across deep sand to get to one of the best surf fishing points on the East Coast should be rewarded with the opportunity to fish.

Grrrrr.

I am a bit of a conservationist, but a long way from an eco-nazi.  I don't get a lot of the extremist viewpoints.
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 9:38am
Oystercatchers are more likely to flush with pedestrians vs an ORV passing at a reasonable distance.   Prior to the Consent Decree, NPS would create a corridor to get past an AYO nest prior to hatching.  You could drive by but not stop and pedestrians not allowed.  Seemed to work well.

The permit $y$tem has cut down significantly the idjits in 4X4s thank goodness!  Haven't fished Coquina /Oregon Inlet in a number of years, but used to be awful up there prior to permit system.    

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

The permit $y$tem has cut down significantly the idjits in 4X4s thank goodness!  Haven't fished Coquina /Oregon Inlet in a number of years, but used to be awful up there prior to permit system.    

An example of Tragedy of The Commons and how limiting entry to those with a vested interest in sustainability can work.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 2:17pm
I see it as a pay-to-play. 

And have actually been putting some of the money into infrastructure improvements. But the closure for "pre-nesting" behavior is sketchy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic