FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Trophy" bluefin season closed t

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Trophy" bluefin season closed t
    Posted: 20 March 2017 at 11:33am
My guys and I are fishing Saturday and were looking forward to harvesting a one per year giant bluefin tuna under the "Trophy" category. We have been blown out on two earlier planned trips this season. The bluefins have been running big this year, with fish from 400#s to over 800#s being caught. Because I fish a lot with Brynner Parks on the Smoker out of OI, he has been kind enough to save his yearly "Trophy" permit for us. We are going Saturday, the fish are there in full force, the weather looks good, in short, everything looks perfect. But wait! what is this I see?

News

Last Updated: Mar 16, 2017

Bluefin Tuna Angling Category Southern Trophy Fishery CLOSED Mar. 20 through Dec. 31, 2017

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) closes the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) Angling category fishery for large medium and giant "trophy" BFT (measuring 73" or greater) in the southern area effective 11:30 p.m. local time, March 20, 2017, through December 31, 2017. The southern area is the area south of 39°18'N (off Great Egg Inlet, NJ), outside the Gulf of Mexico. The intent of this closure is to prevent overharvest of the Angling category southern area trophy BFT subquota. Fishermen may catch and release or tag and release BFT of all sizes, subject to the requirements of HMS catch-and-release and tag-and-release programs. For further information, please see the notice in the library (link at left of page) or at: www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/news/breaking_news.html.

Oh well. CapRandy, it looks like the giants are safe from us this year. By the way, the full quota for this category for the whole Southeast US was met with less than 20 fish being landed.
The best days to fish are always yesterday and tomorrow.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2017 at 10:46pm
Prevent over harvest,when will the story get straight,first there is no danger of over harvest in U.S. waters then the season gets closed for that very season except for that "Trophy Fish "
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 1:07pm
CapRandy, the commercial season is still open through March 31 or until the 81 metric ton quota has been caught, whichever occurs first. That 81 metric tons of fish is the southern area sub quota. The trophy category quota is 4.5 metric tons, which includes the Northeast, the South, and the Gulf of Mexico.
The best days to fish are always yesterday and tomorrow.
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 11:04am
Knud: Thanks for the updates on the BFT fishing off OBX this year. Sorry to hear your plans got disrupted.

I'm not a participant in that fishery, but I'm fascinated by the gear, the techniques & I'm pretty amazed at how it all comes together (or not!) I'm aware of the controversy and the concerns over the future of these fish and am equally aware of the imbalances between what is taken in the E. Atlantic / Med and what's taken up north in the W. Atlantic.

Anecdotally, I spoke to a guy who has chased BFT with fly rods off Cape Cod for several years. He told me this past year that they were having a tough time finding the "schoolie" 40 - 100lb fish and were frequently getting "massacred" by giants. A good problem to have I guess, but expensive!   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic