FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pregnant Bear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skeeter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pregnant Bear
    Posted: 08 March 2017 at 10:07pm
During one of our afternoon visits to the Alligator River Wildlife Refuge, my wife and I came across this obviously very pregnant bear. It looked like she was feeling a bit miserable and ready to pop that (or perhaps those) baby any minute. At times, you could easily make out the shape of the baby pressing against the mom's belly. And she was not a small bear, either. But even so, when she was ready to head back into the woods, it always amazes me how easily they disappear. I hope that you enjoy these photos and may God bless you and yours!

sharker53 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharker53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 10:21am
TY
Hobucken North Carolina    If ya can't fish in Heaven
I don't wanna Go
23Mako View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23Mako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:04pm
Awesome photos. 
mrbearhunt View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbearhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 10:12pm
Thank you for sharing those.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 12:43am
Very nice Skeeter
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:08am
Very nice work as usual.
gstephens View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:38pm
WOW! Very nice.  She Bear looks like she is carrying more than one.
Character and Ethics Count. Don't leave home without them.
Big G
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:33am
Standing ClapClapClap!

Good Fishing!!!
plasticpeddler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plasticpeddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 10:05am
That looks huge for this time of year. I'm guessing over 550 lbs. Anyone else have a guess???
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 10:15am
From wikipedia.

"Litter size is between one and six cubs; typically two or three.[61] At birth, cubs weigh 280–450 g (0.62–0.99 lb), and measure 20.5 cm (8.1 in) in length. They are born with fine, gray, down-like hair, and their hind quarters are underdeveloped. They typically open their eyes after 28–40 days, and begin walking after 5 weeks."

I don't think that belly is because of a pregnancy.  Guessing either a tumor or an abscess.  Cubs weigh less than a pound when born so I don't think that a black bear "shows" a pregnancy like a human.  Mothers give birth while "hibernating" (not a true hibernation) and stay in the den while the cubs grow to the point where they can walk.  It's pretty amazing if you've ever seen a film of it.  They don't look like bear cubs when they are born.

Either way - hope the bear in the pic is ok.  Thanks for sharing!Thumbs Up 

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Skeeter View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

From wikipedia.

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"Litter size is between one and six cubs; typically two or three.</span><sup id="cite_ref-North_American_Bear_Center_.E2.80.93_Reproduction_61-0" ="reference" style="line-height: 1; unicode-bidi: isolate; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 11.2px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif;">[URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_black_bear#cite_note-North_American_Bear_Center_.E2.80.93_Reproduction-61" rel="nofollow][61][/URL]<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"> At birth, cubs weigh 280–450 g (0.62–0.99 lb), and measure 20.5 cm (8.1 in) in length. They are born with fine, gray, down-like hair, and their hind quarters are underdeveloped. They typically open their eyes after 28–40 days, and begin walking after 5 weeks."</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>
 I don't think that belly is because of a pregnancy.  Guessing either a tumor or an abscess.  Cubs weigh less than a pound when born so I don't think that a black bear "shows" a pregnancy like a human.  Mothers give birth while "hibernating" (not a true hibernation) and stay in the den while the cubs grow to the point where they can walk.  It's pretty amazing if you've ever seen a film of it.  They don't look like bear cubs when they are born.

Either way - hope the bear in the pic is ok.  Thanks for sharing!Thumbs Up 

</span>
</span>

That's very interesting information! Thank you for expanding my limited knowledge base of black bear facts! I now worry about if that bear was in great pain from cancerous tumor. I have a couple of friends that work over at the ARWR and I am going to send them the photos and see if they have any input. Thanks again for your post!
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 12:46pm
Please let us know what they say.  I'm really curious about that belly and those spots on the rump.  

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic