FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shad newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mechanic Bob View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mechanic Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shad newbie
    Posted: 01 March 2017 at 5:36pm
I saw Chuck, Jan and (I assume) Doc, tearing them up today on the long rods. I did not have anything hit my flies, but tore them up on the spinning rod. 
I did see Shad busting all over the place. 
The fish come from the upper 1/4 of the water column.
fiogf49gjkf0d
#8 weight and I can't wait
beagle1 View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beagle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 8:30pm
No.  I was in a kayak.  I spoke with someone who told me (after my posted question) that the action was much higher up the river at a confluence of a large tributary.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 5:09pm
were you in an area where folks were catching shad?
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 4:21pm
look for a seam or current break. gold spoon on pink/white curlytail for spinning. 150 or 200 grain sinking line and fly about 1.5 in
beagle1 View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beagle1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 2:39pm
I'm still fairly new to North Carolina and yesterday I tried my first effort at Shad fishing in the Neuse river.   I didn't have any luck as you might expect on my first time out.  I was wondering if the experienced folks on this board could share basic tactics for shad fishing during the spawning run. I prefer a fly rod, but will use a spinning rod or whatever will catch the fish.  I understand the basics of the shad biology and migration.  What I really need is to understand where the fish prefer to hold, what flies (especially size and color) are good go-tos, and any other basics that someone would care to share with a newbie.

Yesterday I tried a variety of streamers in different sizes and colors.  Mostly fished near the bank.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic