FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best auto inflatable life jacket/belt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Full Tilt View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Tilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best auto inflatable life jacket/belt
    Posted: 10 February 2017 at 1:44pm
I'm trying to decide which auto inflable PFD would be best for full time wear. Most of the reviews I read from purchasers only testify to wearability not utility. I'm sure I want one that's comfortable and has an auto-inflate feature. Aside from that I am open to brand suggestions and pros/cons of a belt vs. a jacket. I would prefer a belt unless there is good evidence that a jacket is considerably safer. I am 63 years old and do most boating/fishing in sounds and rivers. Thanks for any suggestions.
Full Tilt
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 2:39pm
Mustang.  Bought two off-brands and moisture caused pill to dissolve and to inflate in my dry storage. 

No issue in two years with the Mustang which has hydrostatic sensor. More expensive but worth it IMO given cost of re-inflate kits. Look for sales.  Over $200 but can find them for ~$160

Comfortable and you tend to forget you have it on.  When fish and running solo pretty religious about wearing it AND religiously have kill switch attached to me. 

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
Full Tilt View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Tilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 6:43pm
Thanks. Is it a belt or a jacket?
Full Tilt
Fish Angel View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:00pm
I always wear one when I am by myself and I attach both a PEPIRB, hand held radio, and whistle on to it. I use a "vest" from Bass Pro Shops, also hydrostatic . But I agree with Baitwaster, Mustang makes good products.
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 8:59pm
Sorry it is a vest.  But still recommend as it is no obtrusive when boating or fishing. Surprisingly so

Was just on a research striper tagging trip and all state/federal governmental folks are required to have some sort of flotation devices on.  Several had the Mustang flotation jackets and they looked awesome and maybe on my "to buy list".  No clue as to how warm they are in the shoulder, spring/fall days. Advertised as breathable.

Full Tilt View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Tilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2017 at 3:10pm
Thanks for the input. I'm ordering a Mustang vest as soon as the one I like is back in stock. As for the Mustang flotation jacket I bought a Mustang flotation suit when I used to stripper fish out of Oregon inlet in the winter. I can attest that you need it to be seriously cold to put that thing on. Very well made and very warm.
Full Tilt
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2017 at 7:56pm
Hate to be a grammar police nerd, but might want to change stripper to striper.  Wink

Full Tilt View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Tilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 10:35am
Sorry, I'll blame autocorrect for that. Should be striper. Thx.
Full Tilt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic