FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OI Bluefin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OI Bluefin
    Posted: 07 February 2017 at 11:51am
The Bluefin tunas have showed up in the last couple of days out of Oregon Inlet. Not a big bite yet, but a 93" 447# fish was caught on the Marlin Gull out of PC on Sunday. About a half dozen commercial fish were caught yesterday. Top boat had 2 on the stick, a couple were caught chunking, a couple more caught on the troll. A private boat also brought in a 70" fish. Bite should get better from here.
The best days to fish are always yesterday and tomorrow.
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:07pm
How's the Wicked Tuna crowd doing?

Good Fishing!!!
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:45pm
Yea get them before they are gone,for good
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 9:29pm
Chuck, yes some of the wicked tuna people are there. At least Pinwheel will and Hot Tuna for sure. The North Carolina boats are the Frenzy, the Doghouse, a boat called Wheels of Fortune and a boat called Little Shell which is run by the guy who used to be the mate on the Frenzy. The other boats from the north may not be here yet.
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 9:48pm
CaptRandy, The bluefin tuna fishery in the United States is the most highly regulated fishery virtually anywhere in the world. I have watched these fish grow up over the last 10 years or so from being 40 to 60 pounds to now being 400 to over 1000 pounds. Often our quota is not caught. If we don't fish for the fish and don't use quota under ICAT rules, our quota will go to other countries who do not respect the rules. We are not the problem. The problem is in the Mediteranean, where they send spotter planes out to find whole schools of 40 pound fish, maybe even 25 pound fish. They will then send a purse seine boat out to catch the entire school and put it in a towable pen so they can take them and fatten them up. There are often killed and sold when they're only 50 to 70 pounds but very fatty. They are killed as babies and never get a chance to reproduce. Our regulations allow most of them to get big enough to reproduce before the majority of them get killed. The commercial quota it is strictly limited, and the recreational trophy fish (over 73") quota only allows the taking of 1 fish per boat per year. Whenever the quota is reached, it is cut off. There is also a 1 fish per day limit under 73". If we are lucky, we can get a "trophy" fish and maybe a couple of under 73" fish a year. These fish are not sold, and I cut them myself. None gets frozen, all of it gets consumed fresh. I have 100 people on my "Fishing List" who all get notified when we get lucky. Sometimes I have 25+ guys at my house for post-fishing sushi/sashimi throwdowns. Nothing gets wasted.

Edited by kknudsen - 07 February 2017 at 9:57pm
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 10:37pm
I am glad you are so confident, I am not.

Edited by CapRandy - 08 February 2017 at 4:40pm
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Chuck Laughridge View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Laughridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 7:47am
Thanks kknudsen!

Good Fishing!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic