FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ACs- A Stacked Deck (Fodrie and Buckel Examples)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

I am on the ASMFC South Atlantic Species Advisory Panel and I'm am currently on a conference call on cobia currently going over public comments from Ga-Va. So that's what I'm doing to "help fisheries. 

God help us boys.  The commercials are getting ready to get some of your cobia quota if Bernie has anything to do with it.

Sidebar: Usual ad hominum. Tedious. 

One goal (which I strongly favor) is to to allow NC and VA a reasonable cobia fishery though a complimentary ASMFC plan.  We can allow South Atlantic to set a coast-wide TAL and shut it off when caught vs allowing state quotas with state flexibility as to how, when, size & creel these fish are caught.

BTW coast-wide GA to VA commercial ACL is 60,000 lbs. Rec ACL is 630,000 lbs (91.3%). Zero discussions in changing this.
I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by Glacierbaze Glacierbaze wrote:

What is the breakdown of how CRFL funds are spent? Is there a dollar or percentage limit for grants and other categories? 

You always ask some great questions. 

I don't know the answer.  Why don't you put "a little backbone and sweat" into the processSmile, do a little research and inform us.  I'm sure the answers can be easily found on the NCDMF website.  I'll thank you in advance for the effort and the information.  Knowledge is power.  This loaded freight train is gaining momentum and we're about to crest the top.

Damn, at first I thought I was getting a compliment, so just had to keep reading.  Now I think I'm being chastised for asking too many questions, and not doing enough looking for answers.  Just got back to my computer, and was going to do that for you, Rick, but Scalez beat me to it. Thank you for the info, Scalez. If I find anything to add, I will throw some more wood on the fire.

In all seriousness, Rick, I truly appreciate all the work you put into getting detailed information out there.
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Glacierbaze Glacierbaze wrote:

Damn, at first I thought I was getting a compliment, so just had to keep reading.  Now I think I'm being chastised for asking too many questions, and not doing enough looking for answers.  Just got back to my computer, and was going to do that for you, Rick, but Scalez beat me to it. Thank you for the info, Scalez. If I find anything to add, I will throw some more wood on the fire.

In all seriousness, Rick, I truly appreciate all the work you put into getting detailed information out there.

Slight chastise, with a smiley face.

Excuse me if I seem a little abrupt lately.  That's what limited sleep does to me, not to mention sitting through almost 9-hours of that bs on Tuesday.  What you see here on NCW is the tip of the iceberg for the amount of effort that a few of us have been putting into this for the last three weeks, pro bono, while still trying to make a living.

Any help you can give to rally the troops will be greatly appreciated and needed.  Those troops need rallying.

And many thanks to Scalez for posting all that great info.  He should be less of a stranger. It sounds like he may know where the skeletons are buried.  

Edited by Rick - 19 January 2017 at 6:29pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 6:33pm
            Please allow me to reduce my question so no one strains their vocabulary and misses a complete thought.                                               Does the numerical lineup, vis a vis, pro-resource members vs status quo members, on the MFC, offer us decent odds of prevailing here?        Or, do the status quo members have the normal ability, both by their numerical superiority and established records, to head rope our asses right back into the Pamlico substrate?        Frankly, for me, the process, equals a fate near on to death, so I leave you to relish its hidden charms, while I can only see THE STATE'S consistent twisting of logic and reason, BY THE PROCESS, to personally screw ALL of us.        It's actually a simple question.                                   
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 6:44pm
I certainly appreciate Rick and everyone's earnest and hugely capable efforts on this board, but I don't have to extoll the system, which I find putrid in the reality of its actual workings. Therefore, Glacier, I will maintain my gimlet eye, never assuming that I have elevated myself by slamming another person, but determined to assign blame for the political-industry conspiracy to destroy my fishing.              BW is the only human I know who rises with every diminution of his targets, at least when he's being honest!
V/H Dog
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 6:52pm

CRFL Request for Proposals Funded by Year:

2009 Awards $1.7 million in funding
2010 Awards $3.1 million in funding
2011 Awards $1.7 million in funding
2012 Awards  $1.99 million in funding
2013 Awards $2.43 million in funding
2014 Awards $1.78 million in funding
2015 Awards $1.55 million in funding

If you click each year you get some detail on what each proposed project was. These numbers match Scalez', so maybe this is where he got his.  It says requested, but when you open it says these were the awarded amounts.
Still not finding total revenue per year from CRFL sales, to compare to amount of grants, admin costs, etc, and whether or not it is a use it or lose it proposition each year.
I did notice a $204,600.00 grant in 2015 to fund a full time LEO for two years, so maybe we are getting over the Basnight grip. Although, the LEO position was probably for observing turtle interactions in the gill net fishery. 

DMF page for the CRFL

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/crfl-program

Edited by Glacierbaze - 19 January 2017 at 6:57pm

Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by cnaff cnaff wrote:

I certainly appreciate Rick and everyone's earnest and hugely capable efforts on this board, but I don't have to extoll the system, which I find putrid in the reality of its actual workings. Therefore, Glacier, I will maintain my gimlet eye, never assuming that I have elevated myself by slamming another person, but determined to assign blame for the political-industry conspiracy to destroy my fishing.              BW is the only human I know who rises with every diminution of his targets, at least when he's being honest!

That is my quote, but I neither brought it up, nor directed it at you or anyone else.

marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by cnaff cnaff wrote:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I'm certain you have something to contribute.........

But d*m if I can make myself read it.

IF, you actually take time to write to our decision makers in an effort to help the cause.

Please do so in normal prose.

Thanks,

Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

Sure you loved Dr. Buckel's comments in agreement with me on the coastwide decline of weakfish was not thought tied to our trawling. 
Repeat a false statement numerous times and hope that it sticks. 
Here is a fact.

The weakfish committee did NOT consider shrimp trawler bycatch when trying to come up with a model for weakfish decline.  I was told by a member of that committee that they purposefully excluded North Carolina trawler bycatch because it totally destroyed their models.    Killing about 30 million 2.5 inch weakfish every year caused all models to point to only ONE possible answer.  And that answer was not politically acceptable.   The conversation ended with statements to the effect that nobody wanted to "gore NC's ox" and that "NC shrimp trawling is a problem that can only be fixed by NC".

Exactly!

The MFC just voted asking the ASMFC to include shrimp trawl trawl bycatch in the next assessment because it's not there.

The ASMFC documents clearly state that weakfish bycatch in the shrimp trawl fisheries are not included in management decisions.

People get confused when they read a statement like "discards in the trawl fishery are not impacting..."  The "trawl fishery" being referenced is the fly net fishery for Atlantic Croaker.

Buckel made a broad statement that clearly is not supported by the "facts" that he tried to present.

A false statement about a false statement. I didn't say trawl discard were included,  I said it was thought not to be the reason.

I keep reading that dead discards of weakfish in pounds and numbers is tied directly to the amount of pounds of shrimp harvest based on a single-year sample from the Brown characterization sturdy. 

Since BRDs/FEDs were required in the NC shrimp trawl fishery in the the late '90's, the amount shrimp landed has varied between 2.3 million and 10 million pounds and there has been no measurable correlation between low & high shrimp harvest and corresponding measurable upticks/downticks in weakfish biomass.  After a rebound in estimated weakfish biomass after BRDs were added and the NC weakfish trawl fishery south of Hatteras was banned, the trawls removals seems to act like a constant as estimated biomass plunged for other reasons.

No issue believing lower dead discards of weakfish should reasonable be thought to be beneficial to weakfish (as well as spot & croaker) but it simply appear to be lot of other factors are in play.

My issue is with bashing two respected fisheries biologists for disagreeing.

Dr Buckel was one of three peer reviewers of the stock assessment. The other two were Dr Sullivan, Chair from Cornell and Dr Deroba of NMFS

The Technical Committee who prepared the stock assessment who decided not to use discards from NC Trawl fishery in the models contained a single member associated with NCDMF:

Jeff Brust (Chair), New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife

Angela Giuliano, Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Dr. Edward Hale , Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife

Joe Cimino, Virginia Marine Resources Commission

Laura Lee, North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources

Dr. Yan Jiao, Virginia Tech Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Management

Dr. Mike Bednarski, Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries

Dr. Katie Drew , Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission

https://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/5751b3db2016WeakfishStockAssessment_PeerReviewReport_May2016.pdf

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 11:42pm
We've beat that dead horse to death in the past. Go troll somewhere else.
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 11:48pm
Sorry there Glacier, I got a little confused and thought I had been admonished by you as if my hating was a self-inflating device, so I guess that beef gagged up from another thread, or something.     Since no one has an answer for the question, and since I don't care whether marker thinks I have a contribution he would read, I'll answer it myself. Dollar to donut, there's a wheeler dealer in the soup who's gonna foist one of those supplements for not protecting finfish in the nursery, and the process lover will say " oh, just be glad we got this, the players really got together in greatly good faith they will abide, and by and by, you'll see an improvement in geological time". You know, like we did with flounder.          I just want a damn Vegas odds opinion of the numerical chances we have here. Why is that a problem?   I am trying to be optimistic, but it's hard to stay positive if all we have is past performance, because THAT is written in the record so far as dismal defeat, because the nursery is hands down, right now, defeated. What is your assessment of the MFC's chance of calling it right, JUST THI S ONCE? Anybody?
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 12:10am
Bernie... As honest as I know how to tell you. I talked to several people on that technical committee on weakfish about why our shrimp bycatch mortality was not being used in their models. All said that representatives from NC assured them over the years that our BRDS were so good that our mortality was immaterial.

Then Kevin Brown did his characterization study and when confronted with those numbers these same people backed off saying the mortality in NC was much more than they were lead to believe.

Two actually added the numbers in and ran the model for their own edification. Suddenly our mortality not only mattered, but it became the number one cause of juvenile weakfish mortality by man on the entire US coast.

But there was a problem. Those guys and gals did not want to embarrass the then chairman of the ASMFC by saying his home state over time may have misrepresented weakfish mortality in Pamlico sound.

It was suggested that perhaps NC might ask for those numbers to be included to take political pressure off outsiders who wanted to see it.

Somehow the NC MFC heard that request and the rest is, as they say, history. Aren't you as curious as I am to see the results and recommendations when the ASMFC officially plugs them in?

Edited by Ray Brown - 20 January 2017 at 12:13am
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 12:42am
https://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/5751b3db2016WeakfishStockAssessment_PeerReviewReport_May2016.pdf

Page 69 discusses using shrimp discards and modeling.  I'm sure plugging in a single data point in a complex, data-rich model was challenging.

I'll see if I can reach out to some folks on the tech committee as well. Thanks.

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 7:23am
Bernie... Wasn't NC's request to have these numbers included, AFTER, this report was completed?
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 8:12am
Ray, Save those breaths. Bernie is a minion of past failures. As you are well aware, the process is under review. No longer is trawling seen as a NC problem that was only effecting NC. Those that matter, and Bernie isn't one, now see this as a NC problem that does matter and is affecting other states.

To use Bernie's favorite phase, this issue has been discussed here ad nauseam.

You nailed the lack of full transparency in the post above.

The Woods Hole review panel shotdown the predation theory.

It's simple, commercials were killing our chickens and chicks in the flynet fishery and breaking our eggs and killing our biddies in the shrimp trawl fishery. We stopped killing the chickens for the pot, but the foxes are still getting some of our few remaining layers and chicks in the croaker flynet and drop net fisheries. The snakes in the hen house are still wreaking havoc on our eggs and biddies at rate that prevents building our layer flock back to a sustainable level. That growing snake population is the Pamlico Sound and near shore shrimp trawler.

Edited by Rick - 20 January 2017 at 8:59am
fiogf49gjkf0d
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 8:59am
Will there ever be an acceptable reduction in by-catch using the otter trawl method of shrimping or, is it going to take a completely different gear method to achieve the results that we need to do no more harm?
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 9:15am
Jill,  It's multifold.  What might be an acceptable bycatch reduction for X-effort might not be acceptable for Y-effort.

That is why the NC Wildlife Federation's petition asked for less days and fewer hours within the day that trawling is allowed.  By reducing headrope length, they reduced effort and therefore bycatch.  Any increase in the number of boats and trips taken would offset that reduction. 

We really should not be allowing any otter trawling in our inside nursery areas.  Current statue prevents all bottom disturbing activities in primary nursery areas and prohibits trawling in secondary nursery areas.

The division has the data to properly classify ALL secondary nursery areas.  They have purposefully refused to do so because of the effect it would have on commercial trawling, crab and shrimp.

We are starting to see a shift in the paradigm.  The public is becoming aware, as is the legislature.  The inter-jurisdictional management agencies will no longer be able to ignore or deny the facts supported by data. 

Change is coming.  The tide is turning and just as a rising tide lifts all boats, so does sustainable fisheries management.  

Edited by Rick - 20 January 2017 at 9:17am
fiogf49gjkf0d
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 9:50am
My hope is that short term and long term goals of by-catch reduction and classification of nursery areas are realized, while allowing commercial fishermen to continue catching and selling shrimp and fish. I also hope that gear and methods are looked at, as they relate to each fishery, and only the cleanest gear be allowed. Of course, the viability of each fishery must be determined as it relates to commercial fishing. If a fishery will not support a commercial take after the consideration of the personal catch and consumption of the public, then it should be addressed properly.

Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
bmac View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 10:44am
That's one of the complexities of this Jill. It doesn't appear that trawling at current levels is threatening the viability of shrimp. It is plainly obvious, at least to me, that it is threatening the viability of several species of finfish and most likely crabs as well. Fixing it will require a change in business models that will impact the industry in the short term. But eventually an equilibrium will be found. We don't allow coal strip mining, clear cutting of forests & hydraulic placer mining for gold anymore, even though they were by far the most efficient and profitable means of extracting those resources.

What's the value of a healthy ecosystem in the Pamlico Sound? According to DMF stats, that's something less than $10 - $20 mil per year. Chuck's a financial/investment guy. Maybe he could compound or amortize that. I bury my money in Mason jars in the back yard.   
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 10:49am
Well, at least I know what's coming. Thanks for all the cogent analysis.
V/H Dog
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 10:17am
Cnaff - the gorilla in the Feb room will be if a deal is cut. Hopefully folks are contacting key commissioners to keep them on task because you know the comm's are calling those same people putting pressure on them to deny or at least cut a deal.

Edited by todobien - 21 January 2017 at 11:34am
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by todobien todobien wrote:

Cnaff - the gorilla in the Feb room will be if a deal is cut. Hopefully folks are contacting key commissioners to keep them on task because you know the comm's are calling those same people putting pressure on them to deny or at least cut a deal.

Yep!   Take nothing for granted.  Nothing would surprise me. 
fiogf49gjkf0d
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 5:40pm
After cyphering on your posts some more CNAFF, I wonder if you are asking about what the odds of the petition carrying are based on articles like the one in the Outer Banks Voice saying the MFC deck is stacked with Recs. I think its hard to tell as there are some real wild cards. Based on the votes at the advisory committees, and correct me if I am wrong, Joe Shutes voted against the petition, Mark Gorges voted for it and Mike Wicker voted for it. Allison abstained and Sammy "no voted" which is not voting or abstaining.    If I had to guess, the 3 comm seats will vote against. If the other 3 are not influenced to change their votes then the current tally would be 2 for and 4 against. That leaves Chuck, Rick and Brad to decide how it falls. I do think those that voted for it probably need encouragement to hold the line. I think the 2 newer folks probably need accurate information relayed to them compared to what seems to be coming out via the media and press releases by those against it.   Chuck should know the deal on the truth. Also, it'll be interesting to see how he votes as I imagine it took a lot of work by folks behind the scenes to keep him in a seat.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2017 at 9:58am
Thank you much todobien! Your kindness in getting past my evidently exasperating verbiage and imbedded anger serves a better purpose of honest analysis for those who wish to divine what's most likely to happen, yet lack enthusiasm for a process which disproportionately and consistently empowers those who would see every specie's demise that stands between them and their God's demand for shrimp from the nursery. It reduces my God's demand that I observe a level of equanimity toward these "inconvenient" benthic creatures to a fool's errand. The role of our state government has been one of complicity, and this obstinate pattern can rightly be termed naked aggression against those who might see a healthier system prevail. If the citizens who,in theory,share proprietorship of these resources actually had knowledge of, and focus on what's happening, the histrionics and shibboleths of the chosen ones might truly be shown for what they are. As it is, we must watch, helpless, as these tinpots, such as Corbett, and the vassals of estuarine death like Ms. Fish, stomp whole hoggedly upon the sensibities, with the full force of state power over us. It probably doesn't happen this way in the other shrimp states, although they no doubt had to summon the will to free themselves of similar assaults upon rationality before us.
V/H Dog
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 12:53pm
cnaff: Pray to your God that the dealmakers don't bust it up (not sure if they legally can anyway). Pray that those that have supported it don't change their votes. Pray that others exercise their responsibility to be steward or the earth and its beast.
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 1:53pm
There is nothing wrong with prayer or anyone praying. We all need more of it, but there are times and places where God, or any authority, should not be called upon to foster an end result.

Read any writings from the WWII era and prayers were going up from Washington to Berlin asking for the same thing.

Only the victor can, at the end, declare that God favored them.

I expect God would be more pleased if he knew we were all acting in an honest effort to address real issues than answering our calls for help in finding a way to make our wish; His!

Edited by Ray Brown - 23 January 2017 at 2:03pm
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

There is nothing wrong with prayer or anyone praying. We all need more of it, but there are times and places where God, or any authority, should not be called upon to foster an end result.

Read any writings from the WWII era and prayers were going up from Washington to Berlin asking for the same thing.

Only the victor can, at the end, declare that God favored them.

I expect God would be more pleased if he knew we were all acting in an honest effort to address real issues than answering our calls for help in finding a way to make our wish; His!

This!!!!!

fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 10:37am

Let's bring this post back to the top given this PR from DMF last week-

elease: Immediate
Date: Jan. 22, 2019

NC Sea Grant Launches Fisheries Science Class for Fishermen

Two fisheries specialists at North Carolina Sea Grant with over 40 years of combined experience are offering a new course to the public that will explore the role of fisheries science with a focus on topics related to management. Registration is now open for Scott Baker and Sara Mirabilio’s course, Introductory Fisheries Science for Fishermen.

“The course is a high-level overview of fisheries science with examples specific to our state,” Baker says. “We’re making four weekly classes available online and in person.”

Susan White, executive director of North Carolina Sea Grant, says the sessions are in response to feedback about fishing stakeholders’ interests.

Scott Baker and Sara Mirabilio continue to seek opportunities to engage and educate fishers and interested community members regarding commercial and recreational fishing efforts in North Carolina,” White says. “This new course, developed in partnership with experts from across the state, brings the latest science and management information to the table in an approachable and applicable manner for anyone who wants to continue to expand their own role in these topics.”

Mirabilio, who will offer a brief history of fisheries science during the first class, says she and Baker have landed distinguished experts for the course.

Jeff Buckel from NC State will lecture, and so will Fred Scharf from UNC-Wilmington and Joel Fodrie from UNC-Chapel Hill,” she says. “We’ll also have experts from outside of academia, including Kyle Shertzer of NOAA and Laura Lee from the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, as well as Jess Hawkins, who retired from DMF and served on the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission.”

Introductory Fisheries Science for Fishermenwill run Tuesday nights from Feb. 12 through March 5, from 6:30 to 8:30 P.M. Participants can attend classes at NC State’s Center for Marine Sciences and Technology in Morehead City or take the course as a webinar online.

The $20 course fee is the same regardless of whether registrants choose a virtual or traditional classroom setting. Enrollment is limited for both formats and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Register here: go.ncsu.edu/IntroFisheries

For more information, contact Scott Baker: 910-962-2492, bakers@uncw.edu

Directions to the NC State Center for Marine Sciences and Technology
303 College Circle
Morehead City NC, 28557

Edited by Rick - 30 January 2019 at 10:39am
fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 9:18pm
"...as well as Jess Hawkins, who retired from DMF and served on the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission.”

lol...if this wasn't business as usual from DMF and SeaGrant.

Many of you will recognize Jess Hawkins as the paid anti-environmental gun for the NC Fisheries Association.  As the NCFA's hired "environmental" gun, Jess is paid to Deny and Deflect by placing the blame elsewhere when unsustainable fisheries is the problem.

Jess is a retired former Deputy Director of NCDMF.  Jess teaches "marine science" at one of the Carteret County based university satellite colleges.

What is almost a parody (tragedy in reality) is that Jess makes part of his living running "ecotours"-

#JessHawkins #crystalcoastecotours

Upon graduation, Capt. Hawkins began a 30 year career as a marine biologist with the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries. He studied the ecology of many sea creatures and recommended conservation measures to protect those animals.

For his efforts in conservation Capt. Hawkins was presented the North Carolina Governor's Award for Wildlife Conservationist of the Year in 1994. He also received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine award in 2006, which is the highest civilian award for public service presented by North Carolina's Governor. In 2016, he will be awarded the Stewards of the Future Award, sponsored by the North Carolina Biotechnology Center, and organized by members of the scientific research community in Carteret County, including NC State University Center for Marine Sciences and Technology, UNC Institute of Marine Sciences, Duke University Marine Laboratory, & NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries + Habitat Research.

Below is an N&O op-ed written during the Southern Flounder Supplement process.  This ballyhoo was written by Jess, co-authored with Allyn Powell (Bradley Styron's hand selected "scientist" on the MFC)-

What we know

We do know a lot, though, because the state has collected extensive data on flounder for over 35 years. The rate fishermen are removing flounder from the population (fishing mortality) has decreased or leveled off since 2007 (though flounder was overfished then). Sizes of flounder in commercial catches have remained unchanged for over 20 years, indicating that the population is replenishing itself. There have been high proportions of immature fish in catches since 1991, but there has been little change in those percentages, indicating the population is sustaining itself.

Surveys tracking the abundance of young flounder in North Carolina show no declining trends for over 25 years; in fact, some exhibit upward trends in numbers. Surveys in South Carolina and Georgia show declines, but their surveys are not nearly the magnitude of North Carolina’s. We have known for over 20 years that some flounder migrate to the ocean to spawn, where they escape intense fishing pressure.

Commercial fishing effort for gill nets and pound nets has been substantially reduced. The state issued almost 1,000 pound nets permits in 1994; today, only 280 permits exist. Since 2010, lengths of gill nets used to catch flounder have been reduced by 33 percent, and fishing times have been reduced 50 percent. Extensive flounder gill net fishing areas have been closed due to interactions with protected sea turtles. Southern flounder harvest was reduced by 39 percent from 2011 to 2014.

No recommendations offered

The General Assembly, with the Fishery Reform Act of 1997, revamped fisheries governance, creating a fishery management plan and amendment process to bring science and other facts forward. In 2010 the General Assembly added another FMP process called a “supplement” that was supposed to deal with one management issue, not involve advisers and be used only if the long-term viability of the fishery was at risk. The MFC recently chose to pursue this “supplement” process instead of a FMP amendment for Southern flounder. Without any science to guide what options could sustain the fishery, the MFC arbitrarily picked measures it felt targeted 25-65 percent reductions in catch for the “supplement.”

Some claim that a 40 percent harvest reduction is needed to avoid a collapse of the stock, but there is no science to support that. Some of the “supplement” options include banning flounder gill nets, lengthening the current closed season and other measures that will have harsh economic effects. Perhaps most disturbing is that the MFC has yet to receive any recommendations on the options from the Division of Marine Fisheries, professional experts who are supposed to guide the MFC on scientific and economic/social facts.

We urge our state’s decision-makers to use the truth and not rhetoric to determine the right thing to do with regards to flounder stewardship. North Carolina and our wonderful resources deserve no less.

Jess Hawkins is a retired state fisheries biologist. Allyn Powell is a retired federal fisheries biologist. Former Marine Fisheries Commission members Edward Mann, a Coast Guard retiree and recreational fisherman; Rusty Russ, a recreational fisherman; and Barbara Garrity-Blake, a cultural anthropologist, also contributed.

Jess Hawkins was nothing but Denial and Deflection using outright lies while demanding Delay when Southern flounder needed protection .

The DMF stock assessments in 2005, 2009 and 2014 all found that the southern flounder stock was both overfished and that overfishing was occurring.

The 2017 stock assessment found-

...and Jess Hawkins is now a "distinguished expert"!

Mirabilio, who will offer a brief history of fisheries science during the first class, says she and Baker have landed distinguished experts for the course.

Jeff Buckel from NC State will lecture, and so will Fred Scharf from UNC-Wilmington and Joel Fodrie from UNC-Chapel Hill,” she says. “We’ll also have experts from outside of academia, including Kyle Shertzer of NOAA and Laura Lee from the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, as well as Jess Hawkins, who retired from DMF and served on the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission.”

How low can SeaGrant go?

ZERO credibility!  #NCSeaGrant  #SaraMirabilio

Edited by Rick - 03 February 2019 at 9:23pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 12:24pm

Lord I hope they are not spending our CRFL funds on this to "benefit" the recreational sector.

...well if you missed your first chance to participate in a little DMF/SeaGrant propaganda you can try again....

I see they've taken Jess Hawkins off the marquee and replaced him with Mike Street.

This is probably the most famous quote from Mike Street's tenure at DMF and the absolute truth then and now- 

"People don't often understand, but it's not the fish we manage, it's the people."

...and we know where Mirabilo's allegiances lie-  

Where is the CCA's and NCWF's perspective on Challenges and Opportunities?

My question-

In what decade will we start managing the fish!  Sustainably of course.

Edited by Rick - 01 November 2019 at 12:43pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic