FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Tunafish Salad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Big Basstard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Tunafish Salad
    Posted: 09 October 2016 at 8:34am
In the USA...

It averages out that each person consumes about 15 pounds of seafood each year....and out of that...about 90% is imported.

...and the top of that list is canned tuna...

No matter how many times I have tried...I have never been able to "reproduce" the unique flavor of any kind of canned tuna with anything fresh and jarred.

It is a mystery that I believe that I will never unravel...

I am a great big fan of "Tunafish Salad" and have experimented with hundreds of recipes over the many lustrums that I have been on this planet and have found one that is not only simple to make, but I have never found anyone who doesn't like it.....that is if they like tunafish salad at all...

I start out with one of them great big 4 pound cans that you get at Sam's Club...preferably "light chunk packed in water"...this normally means that it's albacore.

I completely drain it into a big bowl and give that juice to the cats who then become my bestest friends...

After draining....I empty the can into a really big bowl and break up the chunks.

I take a measuring cup and put in 1/2 cup of white vinegar. While the vinegar is still in the measuring cup I add white cane sugar until the combination reaches the 3/4 cup level. I then add a heaping tablespoon of Norton Seasoned Salt and on tablespoon of flaked cilantro. I put this into the microwave on hi for 1 minute....stir it up until all the ingredients are combined and then pour it over the tuna in the bowl and thoroughly blend

I then take 10 pieces of celery heart and 3 large yellow onions and finely chop them (1/16 X 1/16) and mix with tuna.

I use Hellman's real mayonnaise to whatever consistency I desire....I like it not too heavy..

I will place this in a covered Tupperware and into the refrigerator until cold.

....and it just keeps getting better the longer it sits...

Enjoy
drumchaser View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumchaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 7:51am
Dukes mayo is the only way too go. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic