FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oyster Dredging- Must Stop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Big Basstard Big Basstard wrote:

IF you want things to change....if you really do want get things your own way....you need to "mobilize the troops"....you need to scare the hell out of the politicians......and don't show up with 200 guys at the statehouse and threaten them with you not giving them your vote when there are 5,640 standard commercial fishing licenses issued in North Carolina and an industry that probably employs 20,000 more?

You need big numbers and a spokesman who bounces down the street on a pair of stainless steel jinglebobs....and maybe then you'll start to get things done your way...

Perhaps you could share what you have done personally to accomplish your recommendations. Thanks.
I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 9:25am
Recreational fishermen have done the most to try and protect the whole resource,but when you have politicians and people throwing money behind the commercials its like putting a fire out by throwing gasoline on it.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Big Basstard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

Perhaps you could share what you have done personally to accomplish your recommendations. Thanks.

Sure thing "BW"....

I have done absolutely everything that I have mentioned ...INCLUDING offering the demands of the recreational fishermen to senators, congressmen and a few governors "face to face" over the years.

I have worked to organize recreational fishermen to "stand up"..."man up" and act like they have a pair....

This has created a "aura of recreational fishermen power" that has now lasted decades and has helped stop the commercial netting and sale of striped bass, removal of bunker boats in state waters and has kept the state from imposing a saltwater fishing license with absolutely thought of ever doing anything with the revenue other than putting it in the general treasury.

Hey "BW"!

Maybe you want to become a "spark plug" that will fire the recreational engine where you're at?

If you'd like to talk...send me your phone # in a PM and I will help you with anything I can....
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 4:56pm
Suspect the political dynamic is and has been a tad, as Chuck like to say, different in North Cagalaki. 

Legislature was run for years by Democratic Senate Pro Tem Marc Basnight from Dare County. 

When there was a changing of the guard, seemed like it was  SSDD with a couple of coastal Republicans now calling the ball.

I'm too moderate and too old and rather spend my time actually fishing. 

And don't passionately think that all is doom and gloom And I feel elephants are best eaten in small bites. 

Had no real issue with red drum gamefish which (possible/probably) could have passed but was doomed with SST and esturine striped bass added.

Best course IMO is probably a FRA '97-like bill that address much of that FRA '97's short-comings. 

Then folks can address:
Inshore shrimp trawling

Gill netting

Oyster dredging

No-use. non-reporting SCFLs

Gamefish for red drum

Gamefish for spotted seatrout

Gamefish for esturine striped bass

Salt water fish stocking

JEA

Sponge crabs

Use of CRFL money

Shellfish aquaculture

Makeup of the MFC or if it should be merged with WRC
Sure I've missed a couple of dozen other types of chit that folks complain about on NCW.  Wink

Nominate Rick, breadman, seastreet, fishcommander, caprandy & couple of others to gather up next session and give the Legislator a piece of their mind Big Basstard-style!! Big smile

I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 5:37pm
Nice list
Big Basstard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 6:32pm

Suspect the political dynamic is and has been a tad, as Chuck like to say, different in North Cagalaki. 

Legislature was run for years by Democratic Senate Pro Tem Marc Basnight from Dare County. 

When there was a changing of the guard, seemed like it was  SSDD with a couple of coastal Republicans now calling the ball.

I'm too moderate and too old and rather spend my time actually fishing. 

And don't passionately think that all is doom and gloom And I feel elephants are best eaten in small bites. 

Had no real issue with red drum gamefish which (possible/probably) could have passed but was doomed with SST and esturine striped bass added.

Best course IMO is probably a FRA '97-like bill that address much of that FRA '97's short-comings. 

Then folks can address:
Inshore shrimp trawling

Gill netting

Oyster dredging

No-use. non-reporting SCFLs

Gamefish for red drum

Gamefish for spotted seatrout

Gamefish for esturine striped bass

Salt water fish stocking

JEA

Sponge crabs

Use of CRFL money

Shellfish aquaculture

Makeup of the MFC or if it should be merged with WRC
Sure I've missed a couple of dozen other types of chit that folks complain about on NCW.  Wink

Nominate Rick, breadman, seastreet, fishcommander, caprandy & couple of others to gather up next session and give the Legislator a piece of their mind Big Basstard-style!! Big smile

Bernie...

"IF" the agitator of the Governor of any state walks up the steps of the capitol building "WITHOUT" thousands of recreational supports outside and commences chewing on that mans kiester...he is liable to be taken out of there in chains by two...or more...state cops who are the size and temperament of King Cong for messin' with their boss....who could sic the National Guard on you if necessary... That would be enough for anyone with half a brain to start yelling..."Hep Me Jezuz...Hep Me"!

The old saying "There is safety in numbers" really does apply in a situation like this...

It's a "process" that you must go through way before you attempt to see the governor....who by then should already be very willing succumb to the demands of people who do the voting.

I have always admired Ghandi from India who won independence from England ....yet never fired a shot. He became such a pain in their butt that they eventually just gave up and succumbed to his demands.

It really is doable that the recreational fishermen of any state can completely remove commercial interest from their states waters IF put their mind and backs to it.

Best of Luck.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 6:50pm
Polls show the Gov close or behind in the polls. The next few weeks will decide how a lot of us go. Promises made and broken. Don't promise and renig. Berger is safe in a non competitive district.he and senate are govs worst enemy
seastreet View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seastreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 10:00am

Don't have the fire like I once did, mainly because I have put my efforts into philanthropy that will make much more of a difference years from now in leadership with a mindset consistent with the principles taught with the Boy Scouts of America's Leave No Trace program.

As far as my future is involved, I've had my day in the sun. I'll still be involved but no where near the level I once was. Sometimes it takes a feverish voice to counter the utter bullstuff that comes out of the mouths of the likes of Britton Shackleford, Ken Sieglar, Glen Montgomery, Andrew Berry and Jerry Schill, and hope the result is something close to compromise to come out of the effort. Imagine if there was no Jesse Helms to counter Ted Kennedy? Take the hard line and hope the result winds up in the middle.

But I am glad you still managed to put on your proverbial and metaphorical white boots long enough to obsess over me once again. For a while, I began to think that you had gotten treatment for your OCD.

"Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think."

hghcpa View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hghcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 10:59am
BTW - Where has Glen been....havent seen a post from him in quite a while
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 11:28am
Banned, and rightfully so, for his racially charged online posts after last November's MFC meeting in Nags Head.

Edited by Rick - 17 August 2016 at 1:42pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 4:35pm

Why are we still allowing oyster dredging?  This highly destructive practice must stop-

F-5-2019

PROCLAMATION

RE: 2019-2020 OYSTER MECHANICAL HARVEST RESTRICTIONS

This proclamation opens the season to the commercial harvest of oysters from public bottom by mechanical methods, including the bays in Pamlico Sound, in accordance with the N.C. Oyster Fishery Management Plan Amendment 4. The season for harvesting oysters by mechanical methods shall be monitored and changes to harvest areas may be implemented by proclamation at a later date.

Stephen W. Murphey, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at sunrise, Monday, November 18, 2019 mechanical harvest of oysters shall be allowed and the following restrictions will apply:

I. MECHANICAL HARVEST RESTRICTIONS:

A. Oysters may be taken by mechanical methods (See General Information Section VII. E., G. and I. for other gear restrictions).

B. It is unlawful to transfer oysters from the catching vessel to any other vessel during oyster harvesting operations or to transport oysters by any vessel other than the vessel in which they are harvested.

C. It is unlawful to possess more than five (5) bushels of unculled catch onboard a vessel. Only material on the culling tray is exempt from culling restrictions.

D. It is unlawful to possess accumulated dead shell or accumulated oyster cultch material while underway and not engaged in mechanical harvesting.

E. It is unlawful for the catch container (bag, cage) attached to a dredge to extend more than two feet in any direction from the tooth bar.

F. It is unlawful to tow a dredge unless the point where the tow line or cable exits the vessel and goes directly into the water is on the port or starboard side of the vessel forward of the transom.

G. It is unlawful to possess a dredge while engaged in oyster harvesting activities in an area closed to the use of mechanical methods for oyster harvest.

II. HARVEST DAYS AND TIME PERIOD
Mechanical oyster harvest will be allowed Monday through Friday from sunrise until 2:00 P.M. each day. Oyster dredges must be out of the water and stowed on deck after 2:00 P.M. each weekday (See General Information Section VII. C. and F.).

III. QUANTITY
It is unlawful for persons holding a Standard Commercial Fishing License with a shellfish endorsement to take or possess no more than fifteen (15) bushels of oysters per fishing operation per day, regardless of the number of persons, license holders, or vessels involved except as specified in Section VI below. (See General Information Section VII. L.) The harvest vessel is a part of the fishing operation.

Pages: 1  2  3  

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 5:55pm
$$$$$
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

$$$$$

Did you know that last year there was NO OYSTER DREDGING?

CCA NC put on dozens of oyster roasts last year and had no trouble getting oysters.

Bottom line:  We don't need oyster dredging.  Phase it out.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

$$$$$

CCA NC put on dozens of oyster roasts last year and had no trouble getting oysters.

Bottom line:  We don't need oyster dredging.  Phase it out.

Absolutely. Just like the shrimp industry would do just fine without destroying Pamlico Sound. Plenty of shrimp in the ocean. $$$$$$$ to the right corrupt politicians in office.
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

[QUOTE=kshivar]$$$$$

Thats a lie,there was a mechanical season last year and Oysters limits were caught for several weeks before it closed up here.
18 PRIVATEER 26ft Willis Harkers Island 27ft Broadwater                 commercial fishing support it or import it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic